Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Man arrested when he plugged his phone charger into a socket on the Taipei metro..

Old 22-02-2012, 12:20   #1
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Man arrested when he plugged his phone charger into a socket on the Taipei metro..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...t_electricity/

A man has been arrested and charged after plugging his mobile phone charger into a socket on the Taipei metro. While I can sort of understand if they charged him for using electricity without consent (the socket was apparently clearly labelled with a not for public use notice), I did laugh when I read the reason given..

Quote:
Taipei Rapid Transit claimed in the paper that the reason for its rigorous policy on such matters is that it is worried a short circuit may bring down the electricity-powered rail network.
So, they are worried that plugging in a small phone charger that takes a couple of hundred volts and maybe an amp of current will cause a short circuit that will take out the High Voltage high current systems needed for the trains? Or maybe just the signalling?

At the very least, I would have thought they'd be on seperate circuits, properly protected by RCDs. If that's not the case, then I'd have thought that someone plugging a charger in would be the least of their problems.

I'll admit, I am not an electrician, or an expert on Railway electrics, but I'd have thought just plugging in a mobile phone charger, short circuit or not, shouldn't be able to take out a metro underground system?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2012, 13:11   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: Man arrested when he plugged his phone charger into a socket on the Taipei metro.

It can't, it's just an excuse for them Bit excessive though. A slap on the wrist or a fine would have been sufficient.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 16:19   #3
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: Man arrested when he plugged his phone charger into a socket on the Taipei metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...t_electricity/

A man has been arrested and charged after plugging his mobile phone charger into a socket on the Taipei metro. While I can sort of understand if they charged him for using electricity without consent (the socket was apparently clearly labelled with a not for public use notice), I did laugh when I read the reason given..

So, they are worried that plugging in a small phone charger that takes a couple of hundred volts and maybe an amp of current will cause a short circuit that will take out the High Voltage high current systems needed for the trains? Or maybe just the signalling?

At the very least, I would have thought they'd be on seperate circuits, properly protected by RCDs. If that's not the case, then I'd have thought that someone plugging a charger in would be the least of their problems.

I'll admit, I am not an electrician, or an expert on Railway electrics, but I'd have thought just plugging in a mobile phone charger, short circuit or not, shouldn't be able to take out a metro underground system?
Personally I wouldn't plug anything in, if the socket said not for public use - you can't guarantee the supply, and what happens if it fries your equipment?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote