Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Cyclist convicted of "wanton and furious driving"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Update] Cyclist convicted of "wanton and furious driving"

Old 18-08-2017, 11:58   #31
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What an obnoxious piece of work.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Would having brakes have made any difference? At the moment it just seems to be a pronouncement by the prosecution. Even if he had had brakes, she could have just as easily crossed too near to him. He could have just as easily have been injured or even killed by having to brake. Their heads collided, so he could have been killed instead.

Not sure how there can be any doubt as to whether she was to blame. She crossed the road, 30ft from the crossing.

She IS being absolved of any responsibility by the comments AND by the court case.
She's dead mate. What responsibility would you like her to take? Crossing the road away from a crossing isn't of itself illegal and we're not going to hear her side of the story but if the court believes she acted dangerously they'll say so and it'll be reflected in the jury's decision. That doesn't alter the fact that she died. One fact we do know that his bike was ILLEGAL and illegal for a good reason - it didn't have the required brakes and if it had he would not be in as much trouble as he is and she might not be dead. That's life when you ignore the law and for very good reason.

Last edited by Osem; 18-08-2017 at 12:06.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2017, 12:32   #32
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
On a more positive note, your nest egg is your pension. A 'benefit' being most unfairly delayed for many women born in the late 1950/early 60's.
One which I worked hard for and I was one of those affected by the change from 60 to 65 retirement age. I had to wait until I was 63.However I knew right back when the announcement(1995) was made that I was going to have to wait so I made my plans ahead of time. Those women caught out obviously never paid any attention when it was announced.I certainly perked up my ears when I heard it.

Anyway I still get no respect from other pavement abusers.
Old 18-08-2017, 17:09   #33
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Anyway I still get no respect from other pavement abusers.
I suggest a swift handbag across the chops
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 17:12   #34
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Violence never solves anything unless you have not been taught that lesson yet.
Old 18-08-2017, 17:24   #35
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Violence never solves anything unless you have not been taught that lesson yet.
I didn't suggest it as a solution; although there is a point of debate, it would be OT in this thread.
Old 18-08-2017, 23:19   #36
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Which side do you prefer? Left or right?
Old 18-08-2017, 23:32   #37
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What a wonderful idea. Every pedestrian carry a handbag and give every cyclist a swift one across the chops.

Splendid suggestion Kursk!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 00:19   #38
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Which side do you prefer? Left or right?
A gentleman always dresses to the left Maggy but you really ask the most intimate questions you naughty girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What a wonderful idea. Every pedestrian carry a handbag and give every cyclist a swift one across the chops.

Splendid suggestion Kursk!
A gold lamé clutch bag encrusted with shimmering sparkles would no doubt be your choice to complement your 1980's shell suit eh Pippa?
Old 23-08-2017, 16:51   #39
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Latest: Charlie Alliston has been cleared of manslaughter but been found guilty of 'Wanton and Furious Driving."
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 17:56   #40
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Latest: Charlie Alliston has been cleared of manslaughter but been found guilty of 'Wanton and Furious Driving."
Quote:
But the judge told him on more than one occasion that she had not seen "a breath of remorse" from him.

She added that he should expect a custodial sentence.
Hope he has his soap on a rope

I am chuffed he will end up in jail.

http://news.sky.com/story/cyclist-cl...death-11001986

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 18:34   #41
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

You can be jailed for being involved in an accident on the highway for which both party seems to have some culpability, whilst stone-cold sober and whilst traveling well below the speed limit?

And all this under the auspices of an ancient law specifically relating to the control of a coach and horses. I wonder if the Queen's Coach has an effective front brake, and, she never wears a seat belt. There must be a law
Old 23-08-2017, 18:36   #42
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

And all this under the auspices of an ancient law specifically relating to the control of a coach and horses. I wonder if the Queen's Coach has an effective front brake, and, she never wears a seat belt. There must be a law
Ahh, but the Queen is above the law, don't forget.
Old 23-08-2017, 18:38   #43
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Ahh, but the Queen is above the law, don't forget.
Well that's fair enough then . The blokes doing the driving ought to be prosecuted though.
Old 23-08-2017, 18:57   #44
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Well that's fair enough then . The blokes doing the driving ought to be prosecuted though.
Not if she issues a Royal prerogative of mercy (or Royal Pardon).

Recent examples of them being issued:

Quote:
In 2001 two inmates at HMP Prescoed, south Wales, received early release under the Royal prerogative of mercy when they saved the life of the manager of the prison farm when he was attacked and gored by a captive wild boar.

In 2013 a posthumous pardon was awarded to Alan Turing under the Royal prerogative of mercy. Wartime codebreaker Turing had been convicted of gross indecency in 1952. (Basically he was convicted of having homosexual acts, which were criminal offences in the United Kingdom, in 1952)

In the English and British tradition, the royal prerogative of mercy is one of the historic royal prerogatives of the British monarch, in which he or she can grant pardons (informally known as a royal pardon) to convicted persons. The royal prerogative of mercy was originally used to permit the monarch to withdraw, or provide alternatives to death sentences; the alternative of penal transportation to "partes abroade" has been used since at least 1617. It is now used to change any sentence or penalty. A royal pardon does not itself overturn a conviction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...ative_of_mercy
Old 23-08-2017, 19:05   #45
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

I think he was lucky to avoid the manslaughter verdict. If a car driver had used a vehicle in a similar condition (i.e. designed for track racing and with no brakes fitted and driving at an excessive speed ) the driver would have faced a plethora of charges such causing death by dangerous driving possibly construction and use infringements.

Seems this part of legislation he was convicted under is used more often than you would think From the Report on the BBC News website" It is now used when it is not possible to prosecute under the Road Traffic Act 1988 - ie, when the vehicle in the crime was not mechanically propelled - and in cases of serious injury or death caused by a cyclist's actions.

It carries a maximum penalty of two years' imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.
Previous successful prosecutions under the offence include those against cyclists Darryl Gittoes and Darren Hall, who both knocked down pedestrians who later died.
"

Who would have thought......
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote