Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | new install soon.....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

new install soon.....

Old 17-02-2012, 13:38   #1
griffen76
Inactive

griffen76 is an unknown quantity at this point
new install soon.....

Hi people of this forum

We have v,media coming soon,and was curious to what to expect on install day.We have ordered 3 tivo boxes and 1 v hd box plus phone and broadband.Also we are in the optic fibre area. So my q's are

how do v.m get all the cables from their street box to my house ? will they dig up my garden to lay the cables etc ?

Once the cables are upto the house, can i have the coax cable running on the outside walls to the correct rooms or would they expect to do all the wireing from inside the house (i dont want this)

any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated
griffen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2012, 13:58   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: new install soon.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen76 View Post
Hi people of this forum

We have v,media coming soon,and was curious to what to expect on install day.We have ordered 3 tivo boxes and 1 v hd box plus phone and broadband.Also we are in the optic fibre area. So my q's are

how do v.m get all the cables from their street box to my house ? will they dig up my garden to lay the cables etc ?

Once the cables are upto the house, can i have the coax cable running on the outside walls to the correct rooms or would they expect to do all the wireing from inside the house (i dont want this)

any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated
If your house has never had cable, then they will need to lay a cable from the swept tee in the road to your house. This can be in a shallow trench or along a wall, which ever is best.

The engineers prefer to cable on the outside of the house, so will love you for wanting that! It's easier
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:16   #3
griffen76
Inactive

griffen76 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your reply,i have no garden wall so a trench looks like the outcome there. so it would seem my prefered choice is possible, they put this brown box on my wall - presumably some form of junction box and take all the extra feeds from there. also does the same install team dig the trench or is this done by different people on a previous day ?
griffen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:21   #4
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point

they run all the cables from the omni box { brown box} along the outside to the relevent rooms you want.
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:12   #5
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
. also does the same install team dig the trench or is this done by different people on a previous day ?
The same team digs the hole
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 21:17   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Your having 5 pieces of equipment, there is no way all the feeds will come from the brown box, it will be a mix of internal and external wiring
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:50   #7
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Your having 5 pieces of equipment, there is no way all the feeds will come from the brown box, it will be a mix of internal and external wiring
Probably one feed to the living room, then outside to 1st floor, then internal for the rest?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:59   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Hi people of this forum

We have v,media coming soon,and was curious to what to expect on install day.We have ordered 3 tivo boxes and 1 v hd box plus phone and broadband.
Blinking nora. How much is that costing you?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 17:20   #9
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

i would be very interested to see if that lot works off 1 drop cable
Old 18-02-2012, 19:03   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i would be very interested to see if that lot works off 1 drop cable
Easy!

Technically i could get 16 pieces of equipment working with no issues!
Old 18-02-2012, 19:42   #11
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Easy!

Technically i could get 16 pieces of equipment working with no issues!
16 that must take some high level of technical skill
Old 18-02-2012, 20:04   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

Nah just a lot of wiries! You "could" fit an hdu and then 4 4 way splitters but would be a wires everywhere.

It depends on the house really. I was at a house last week who had 5 boxes and a modem. It was all wired under the floor and was a two way splitter with two 3 ways attatched. He must have been on the top tap
Old 18-02-2012, 23:50   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
16 that must take some high level of technical skill
Some ex-TW areas have dozens of homes on a single drop cable.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote