Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing.

Old 02-12-2011, 23:27   #1
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing.

Greetings all;

Got my monthly E Bill today and noticed that I'd been charged for some calls made during the last month. As I'm on the Talk Unlimited package and recently been tickled for the 08 service, I was put out to discover the charges.

Upon querying this with VM I discovered that a few times I'd checked my phone for calls using the 1471 option and then pressed 3 to return the call. I couldn't believe what I was told - I had been charged for the connection and irrespective of what (cost saving) package I was on it made no difference - WHAT!!

What really galled me was that the VM rep was not prepared to refund me for something I was totally unaware of. This is the kind of lowlife stunt that I would expect (rip off) BT to pull not VM -

Not impressed and very disappointing!

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2011, 23:45   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw41101 View Post
Greetings all;

Got my monthly E Bill today and noticed that I'd been charged for some calls made during the last month. As I'm on the Talk Unlimited package and recently been tickled for the 08 service, I was put out to discover the charges.

Upon querying this with VM I discovered that a few times I'd checked my phone for calls using the 1471 option and then pressed 3 to return the call. I couldn't believe what I was told - I had been charged for the connection and irrespective of what (cost saving) package I was on it made no difference - WHAT!!

What really galled me was that the VM rep was not prepared to refund me for something I was totally unaware of. This is the kind of lowlife stunt that I would expect (rip off) BT to pull not VM -

Si thee
It's been like that for a while TBH. If you listen it does advise a charge.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

The charge is mentioned on this page below and it is also mentioned when you ring 1471 but you have to listen to the whole message in order to hear it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/calling-features.html

Quote:
A charge sometimes applies1

Last Number Recall (1471)

Lets you know the last number that called you and allows you return the call.
Calling 1471 is free, but if you choose to return the call you will be charged 16.34p, in addition to your call charges.
Quote:
Calling 1471 is free, but if you choose to return the call (that's Option 3) you will be charged 16.34p, in addition to your call charges - please listen to the announcement carefully.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 13:05   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The charge for ringback goes back at least 2 years, as you can see by this thread, and as you will note, it used to cost considerably more.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 13:13   #5
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Same thing happened to me,But when i contacted vm the charges where credited back to my account.certainly wont make that mistake again
howardmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 17:57   #6
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It's been like that for a while TBH. If you listen it does advise a charge.
Agreed, but to my mind the message is misleading as it infers that there "may" be a charge - not when (in reality) there always is.

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 18:04   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It appears to say there will be a charge, not infer that there may....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 20:56   #8
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

New one on me ... thanks for the information!

Although I'd always break the connection and dial anew , rather than use the '3' option anyway ..
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 22:39   #9
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

In future just dial 1471, then make a note of the number. Then dial it. Problem solved, with no charge.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 23:36   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Thank you, Tim - that suggestion brought a smile to my face.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 00:44   #11
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thank you, Tim - that suggestion brought a smile to my face.
Well it's true, isn't it?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 00:51   #12
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Well it's true, isn't it?
It is, yes.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:02   #13
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
....the message is misleading as it infers that there "may" be a charge - not when (in reality) there always is.
Same here in Angry towers.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:00   #14
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Greetings all;

Si thee
All phone companies apart from Vodafone and O2's 1471 charge for returning the call.

Virgin Media and BT do tell you that there is a charge before using the service as it says 'Just so you know, there maybe a charge for returning a call' and BT's one says something like 'there is normally a charge for the service'
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote