Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Aerial part?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Aerial part?

Old 11-06-2014, 21:00   #1
Hornet
Inactive

Hornet is on a distinguished roadHornet is on a distinguished road
Aerial part?

The box on my aerial that the cable goes into seems to have fallen apart inside. This box clips on to the aerial. What are these called and can they be purchased seperately as I can't find one anywhere?

Thanks
Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2014, 21:51   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Aerial part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
The box on my aerial that the cable goes into seems to have fallen apart inside. This box clips on to the aerial. What are these called and can they be purchased seperately as I can't find one anywhere?

Thanks
I doubt if you can buy the box separately.

Ken
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 00:20   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

What does the "box" do?

Is it for distribution (one cable in, several out), or is it a masthead amp (usually one in one out), for which there is base unit inside the house?

In both cases, you shoud be able to get replacements.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 16:42   #4
Hornet
Inactive

Coax in nothing out just joins to aerial.
Old 13-06-2014, 16:14   #5
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

In general, they're designed along with the aerial so each make is different. Perhaps an aerial installer might have something similar in their junk box.

Alternatively, perhaps some self-amalgamating waterproof tape would work, or replace the aerial.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 17:21   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I'd get a new aerial installed. The box connects the coax to the aerial's dipole and is part of the aerial assembley. If it's disintegrated the rest is probably past its best.
Old 14-06-2014, 20:55   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Yeah if it's a B&Q or Maplin special the fittings have probably rusted away due to not being galvanized and I would bet that your coax has probably oxidised badly at the terminals.

Get a new antenna up as Heero says (decent one, not the above type or it will fall apart again) and I would recommend painting some liquid tape over the feed-point terminals and exposed braid/conductor after connecting the coax.

Liquid Tape
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 21:16   #8
Hornet
Inactive

Thanks for all advice new one it is then.