Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What a waste....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

What a waste....

Old 16-12-2013, 01:21   #1
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
What a waste....

Had to recheck frequencies to set up a PCTV Dongle (the software I was using had an out of date list).
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ339712

Surprised to find that the "LW" signal was on - a whole frequency, with nothing on it until Feb 2014, and then only one channel - would make more sense if they were going to fill in with the "only available in Manchester" channels, as assigning a whole mux with just one channel is flaming stupid.

It reported good signal, 0 channels, so not even a test channel!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2013, 10:18   #2
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age
Re: What a waste....

Are you joking?

Crystal Palace long wave transmitter carries BBC Radio 4 at 198 kHz (analogue).

On the other hand:

You've found a PCTV dongle that works for TV? I've recently bought a KEEDOX® DVB-T USB TV RTL-SDR FM+DAB Radio Tuner Receiver Stick Realtek RTL2832U+R820T, which seems to be pretty generic, and found the supplied BlazeVideo HDTV software to be completely useless. I can get FM radio (using SDR#) and DAB radio (using SDR-J), but no TV. What are you using?
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 01:42   #3
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

From the site linked, "LW" is the name given to the London mux that will carry "London Live".
Tuner: Pinnacle PCTV DVB-T Stick Solo (72e) - was a tenner brand new & sealed in my local charity shop!
Software: Not sure if I can register it's own on more than one PC, so tried downloading drivers only and using with VLC (while VLC can do DVB-T, it's pretty clumsy unless you save a playlist or something ... found it once and looking for it again).
Other software tried (seems to work, but strains the netbook more than VLC) - SmartDVB - http://www.smartdvb.net/ - the frequency list does not seem to have been updated to final post switchover though.
Also, with SmartDVB, as many find, does not work with the default Windows CODEC, but ok with FFDSHOW
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 09:56   #4
Pauls9
Inactive

Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Thanks for those - something to look at over the holiday.
Old 17-12-2013, 11:21   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
Are you joking?

Crystal Palace long wave transmitter carries BBC Radio 4 at 198 kHz (analogue).
Crystal Palace is not a Long Wave transmitter. It relays the "Long Wave" output of radio 4 to Central London on 720kHz Medium Wave.

It is not worth producing a separate schedule for this opt-out, as it only carries at most 1 or 2 programmes a day that are different from the 4 FM schedule.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 14:13   #6
Pauls9
Inactive

OK - I stand corrected.
Old 17-12-2013, 14:25   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Had to recheck frequencies to set up a PCTV Dongle (the software I was using had an out of date list).
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ339712

Surprised to find that the "LW" signal was on - a whole frequency, with nothing on it until Feb 2014, and then only one channel - would make more sense if they were going to fill in with the "only available in Manchester" channels, as assigning a whole mux with just one channel is flaming stupid.

It reported good signal, 0 channels, so not even a test channel!
This is referring to the London Wide multiplex that will be used to transmit local TV to London. The franchise has been awarded to "London Live" which launches next year.
Old 01-02-2014, 17:50   #8
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

Since LBC announced they are going national i'm temped by DAB radio again, was wondering how capable those cheap dvb-t/fm/dab usb dongles are in linux.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 17:57   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
Since LBC announced they are going national i'm temped by DAB radio again, was wondering how capable those cheap dvb-t/fm/dab usb dongles are in linux.
Now that is good news I currently use my phone to listen to it.

From the 11th Feb I understand.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:24   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

LBC have lost a lot of DAB coverage now the MXR regional Muxes have been withdrawn. Going to Digital One was their best option.
Old 01-02-2014, 19:51   #11
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

Shame LBC didn't appear on Freeview nationally would have made recording it much easer for me.
might have to start using "The Bug" again.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I tuned my DAB radio this morning to get LBC - Nice
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote