Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just got sky tv

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Just got sky tv

Old 22-08-2010, 13:27   #1
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Just got sky tv

My first impression..the tv channel chooser seems nicer..and lots quicker

I still have virgin, so will try and compare both channels

suspect there won't be much difference with HD, but will look at standard

but, I got it for the sports (both the HD and the red choice button)..so focus will be on that
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2010, 13:31   #2
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack
Re: Just got sky tv

you have more HD channels if you got sky better then virgin at the moment
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 13:37   #3
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

yes..and the main reason i got it.

But I'm surprised how quick the menu system is compared to virgin.

With Virgin, it is like treacle, whilst with sky..it is like Billy Whizz

For you kids to young to know what treacle and billy whizz is...the former is "Slow man", the latter is "Fast man"

Old 22-08-2010, 13:38   #4
wwe
cf.mega poster

wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

which 1 do you like better now sky or virgin?
Old 22-08-2010, 13:41   #5
colin25
Inactive

At present..sky..but..hey..only had it a few hours

I have just put on my programming for my popular tv recordings

Too early to be definitive..but i must admit it was frustrating with old tv guide. But might not be a fair comparison. And like most things with sky...let's see how it is over time
Old 22-08-2010, 14:59   #6
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I defected to Sky TV ages ago. So far as my experience of VM TV goes, Sky is miles ahead. About the only thing you lose is VOD but I could never get it to work anyway.

I'm still on Sky+, OK I lose signal during heavy rain, thunderstorms and snow but all in all it's still proved to be far more reliable the VM.

The other thing I appreciate is it seldom requires rebooting. That was a real plus as I had to reboot my Vbox at least everyday, sometimes twice a day.

It was a PITA trying to watch TV on the VBox whereas with Sky+, well it just does what it says on the tin.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:28   #7
colin25
Inactive

The new Sky+ HD is quite small too. Seems about 2/3rds the size of the old sky hd box
Old 22-08-2010, 15:34   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I found my dad's v+ box (While I was house-sitting last week) slow, clunky and very bad at responding to the most basic things, like changing the channel.

I was hoping that it had been improved since I had one myself.

Now, having said that, I did find that the SD upscaled picture on his box much better than on my sky HD box. But I found my HD picture better than that on his virgin box.

So I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

I realise I sit much closer to the TV than would be considered normal, but that is the only way I can watch TV really.

p.s. I still prefer the virgin colour scheme and would like the option for that on sky
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 05:45   #9
colin25
Inactive

Ok. Definitely standard tv looks better on virgin than on sky

HD, I don't see too much difference.

i still prefer the epg on sky, at least the response time

And I love the bigger choice of HD

But, if you aren't into HD, virgin would be my choice...though the epg on virgin is frustrating..so slowwww. I don't miss that
Old 23-08-2010, 18:22   #10
wwe
cf.mega poster

your right about that the epg is slow
Old 23-08-2010, 18:25   #11
colin25
Inactive

yes, even after only two days..i still surprised at virgin's epg being slow...i would have guessed the other way..if asked before i switched to sky

Wonder why it's so slow?
Old 24-08-2010, 00:15   #12
Jameseh

Did you have a SA box as apposed to a Samsung? If you basing EPG speed on your experience with a SA then I'm sure the Samsung matches Sky.
Old 24-08-2010, 05:16   #13
colin25
Inactive

@jameseh

good point, my experience is with SA box. So maybe. But difference is not between slow and slightly faster

It is like VW beetle vs ferrari

The channel changes so quick on sky that you can barely read it

But, I bow to others knowledge there.

---------- Post added at 05:16 ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 ----------

@jameseh

good point, my experience is with SA box. So maybe. But difference is not between slow and slightly faster

It is like VW beetle vs ferrari

The channel changes so quick on sky that you can barely read it

But, I bow to others knowledge there.
Old 24-08-2010, 13:50   #14
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Nice to hear the Samsung box matches the Sky box for speed of channel change.

Not so nice to hear that VM is fobbing off subs with older and inferior equipment while charging the same fees as those enjoying a superior service.

Still I suppose that is what business has descended to these days.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote