Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading from Sky to Sky+

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upgrading from Sky to Sky+

Old 29-05-2008, 17:07   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Upgrading from Sky to Sky+

Ok, so.....having been away with work and (due to technical difficulties, operator error, and sheer bad luck) missed many of the programs that I like to watch regularly (thus leaving me in the dark and a week behind on most of the stories) I've decide to make the change to Sky+

I've looked on Sky's site and they seem to want £99 for the box and a £60 install fee.

Has anybody successfully managed to negotiate a lower rate with them, either by agreeing to upgrade their package or by asking nicely, or do they tend to stick largely to their guns on that cost?

Anybody managed to get the upgrade for free? If so, what tactics did you use?

I'm thinking I might cancel my subscription completely, wait a few weeks, and then re-subscribe (to get the free installation that they're offering new customers) - has anybody gone down that route?

Cheers
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2008, 17:46   #2
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Upgrading from Sky to Sky+

If you are prepared to pay £0, you might be able to get it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=935887

^^^ and you are sorted
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 18:30   #3
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

I bought mine from a nice chap off the internet.

Does the following:

BOX WITH 160GB HD + QUAD + P&P FOR £115.50
BOX WITH 200GB HD + QUAD + P&P FOR £120.50
BOX WITH 250GB HD + QUAD + P&P FOR £129.50

I got some twin cable with connectors for it as well which was a couple of quid more. All I had to do was click of fthe old lnb and connect the new one. Replace the single cable with twin cable and twist on 4 connectors and all has been fine. Having such a large amount of storage is great. If you want his email let me know and I'll pm it over.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:53   #4
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
I bought mine from a nice chap off the internet.

Does the following:

BOX WITH 160GB HD + QUAD + P&P FOR £115.50
BOX WITH 200GB HD + QUAD + P&P FOR £120.50
BOX WITH 250GB HD + QUAD + P&P FOR £129.50

I got some twin cable with connectors for it as well which was a couple of quid more. All I had to do was click of fthe old lnb and connect the new one. Replace the single cable with twin cable and twist on 4 connectors and all has been fine. Having such a large amount of storage is great. If you want his email let me know and I'll pm it over.
thats not cheap at all its expensive.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 23:23   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I thought the purpose of this thread was to advise Raistlin on upgrading from Sky to Sky+?

Rather than, for example, to engage in arguments, & discuss red reps...

Please stop now, everyone, & get back on topic...

EDIT: Oh, & I've removed a few posts from this thread to clean it up. Please keep to the topic.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 01:20   #6
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

My boss at work did the recommend a friend thing - we each got £50 of M&S vouchers. They usual do some sort of scheme Can't recall how much I paid but I wouldn't be without it. I'd miss all my favourite TV. It does have a fit now and then, but I suppose it's like any partner
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 06:18   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You will need to either use the referal system or you can try your luck with retentions, the Sky+ box actually costs Sky a lot more money than the £99 they are asking for it.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 19:02   #8
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

roflmao
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 19:10   #9
Sasha222
Inactive

Sasha222 has a nice shiny starSasha222 has a nice shiny star
Sasha222 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
Ok, so.....having been away with work and (due to technical difficulties, operator error, and sheer bad luck) missed many of the programs that I like to watch regularly (thus leaving me in the dark and a week behind on most of the stories) I've decide to make the change to Sky+

I've looked on Sky's site and they seem to want £99 for the box and a £60 install fee.

Has anybody successfully managed to negotiate a lower rate with them, either by agreeing to upgrade their package or by asking nicely, or do they tend to stick largely to their guns on that cost?

Anybody managed to get the upgrade for free? If so, what tactics did you use?

I'm thinking I might cancel my subscription completely, wait a few weeks, and then re-subscribe (to get the free installation that they're offering new customers) - has anybody gone down that route?

Cheers
Tell them that your leaving as you cant afford to pay that amount for the box and tell them that you really like being with sky but under the cirumstances that you have to leave and dont give up on the first person that you talk to if you dont get a good result. They dont want to lose any of there customers. Hope this helps
Sasha222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 23:16   #10
andymo
Inactive

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
If you are prepared to pay £0, you might be able to get it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=935887

^^^ and you are sorted
You bet am sorted. LMAO, this is too good to be true.
andymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 23:20   #11
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymo View Post
You bet am sorted. LMAO, this is too good to be true.
It probably is then IMO, note the date of the post
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 22:07   #12
andymo
Inactive

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
It probably is then IMO, note the date of the post
Sorry about that! [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
andymo is offline   Reply With Quote