Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Controversial bag charge a success as shoppers will use 6 billion fewer plastic bags

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Controversial bag charge a success as shoppers will use 6 billion fewer plastic bags

Old 24-08-2016, 22:39   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Controversial bag charge a success as shoppers will use 6 billion fewer plastic bags

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-30/c...ags-this-year/
1) wht about the companies that make plastic bags. What about the staff. Have they had to lay off staff due to this.

2) Many shops are making the 5p charge a farcical one. No matter hw small

There is only two snags over this ludicrous charge. And obsession on making money for the Government.
the bag is. You still get charged 5p.
I have seen customers at my local Tesco/ Asda walking out of shops with the shopping in the hands. And even baskets with tags on, to stop people taking them.

3) If l buy 60/70 quid's worth of goods in a store - why should l have to pay 5p for a bag to put them in.

Totally ridiculous
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2016, 22:52   #2
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: The farcical charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
3) If l buy 60/70 quid's worth of goods in a store - why should l have to pay 5p for a bag to put them in.

Totally ridiculous
You should do what I do. kick up a stink and cause a scene about not wanting to pay for some bags when you've spent all that money already. the cashier usually just gives you the bags for free. or the little old lady behind you gives you 30p for some bags.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:20   #3
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Gary. I like that.
My wife walks away when l kick up fuss about the charge. I think its great. As everyone knows around us, that l am kicking up a fuss. As l think the charge is stupid.

What l think is that the stupid thing they do about placing tags on baskets. What about the trollies you see bout your house or on the corner. Where people have walked out of the shop and down the road with the trolley.

And the sign that says ' you cannot take trollies past this point' and you see the trolley in the car park
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:23   #4
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
1) wht about the companies that make plastic bags. What about the staff. Have they had to lay off staff due to this.

There is only two snags over this ludicrous charge. And obsession on making money for the Government.
I have seen customers at my local Tesco/ Asda walking out of shops with the shopping in the hands. And even baskets with tags on, to stop people taking them.

Totally ridiculous
When you get home, what happens to the carrier bag Arthur?

I'm not talking about immediately, more the following 5000 years.......
Old 25-08-2016, 00:45   #5
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Don't be such a tightwad Arthur, it's only 5p per bag. You can easily avoid the charge by taking a bag with you when you shop .

Wales, Scotland and NI have been charging for plastic bags for years and the environment is noticeably better for it. No plastic bags in hedgerows, floating in the sea or blowing around your town when discarded by louts.

I think it's good to make people think twice about littering.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 01:09   #6
RizzyKing

Arthur I'll let you in on a closely guarded secret ok you ready......pay 10p and get the reusable bag over the course of a year it works out at virtually nothing now go and find something to occupy yourself and stop getting worked up over absolutely nothing. Or don't but please stop making threads about trivial stupidity.
Old 25-08-2016, 01:17   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Most "plastic" one-trip bags are now made with corn starch and degrade very quickly with minimal effect on the environment.

The charge is also levies on paper bags.

This is a nod to "environmentalists" who are in most part "mentalists".

Reusing bags is liable to expose many people to various maladies.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 06:39   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Arthur I'll let you in on a closely guarded secret ok you ready......pay 10p and get the reusable bag over the course of a year it works out at virtually nothing now go and find something to occupy yourself and stop getting worked up over absolutely nothing. Or don't but please stop making threads about trivial stupidity.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 07:14   #9
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:

Totally ridiculous
I take my carrier bags.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:35   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Arthur just buy these like I did.I never,ever have to worry about plastic bags ever again in my life.. bags have actually become currency among my OH's gardening mates because they are useful for handing out the veg they grow to the community.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24862/4-Re...ey-Bags---Deep

Carrier
Old 25-08-2016, 08:41   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

We have countless bags for life in our car as its very easy and cheap to make little changes which all in all in all will improve the environment for us all.
Old 25-08-2016, 08:46   #12
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I have several "Bags for life" from Sainsbury's. When one gets worn out they'll swap it for a new one for free and re-cycle the old one. They're strong and have decent handles and it's no sweat to remember to take them with you. Just get into the habit.
Old 25-08-2016, 09:38   #13
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
What about the environmental impact of six billion extra bags? Recycling them helps, but it's not a magic bullet.
Quote:
2) Many shops are making the 5p charge a farcical one. No matter hw small the bag is. You still get charged 5p.
How so? It's working well near where I live, and where I work. The small shops are giving out bags for free, and the chains aren't.
Quote:
Money that can be spent on, ohh, hospitals, schools etc. Despite what you say, the government making money is not necessarily a bad thing, and they have one major source of income. The tax payer. Like it or not, a large percentage of the government's income comes from individual people like you and me paying our taxes. Yes, corporations should pay more tax than they do, but that's not going to diminish the percentage of tax paid by the individual much.
Quote:
Carrying shopping out in your hands is not necessarily a bad thing. If you can carry it in your hands, why do you need a bag, plastic or otherwise?

Baskets only cost the supermarket a few pounds, but theft is theft, and if someone nicks a basket, that means that possibly quite a few people will not have a basket with which to do their shopping for a few days.
Quote:

Totally ridiculous
If you spend £60 or £70 worth of goods in a store, you can re-use old bags (as the law is designed to encourage), or the extra 20 or 30 p for bags isn't going to make much difference.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:51   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Most "plastic" one-trip bags are now made with corn starch and degrade very quickly with minimal effect on the environment.

The charge is also levies on paper bags.

This is a nod to "environmentalists" who are in most part "mentalists".

Reusing bags is liable to expose many people to various maladies.
Paper bags are significantly heavier than plastic ones and therefore have a greater environmental cost in their transport, not to mention the tree-felling and bleaching that goes on during manufacture. They are also single use.

I've been re-using the same machine washable woven polyester carrier bags for a year now and haven't contracted any bizarre skin complaints yet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:03   #15
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
We have countless bags for life in our car as its very easy and cheap to make little changes which all in all in all will improve the environment for us all.
Same here.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote