Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Data Protection laws to be strengthened.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Data Protection laws to be strengthened.

Old 07-08-2017, 21:20   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Data Protection laws to be strengthened.

This mentions the right to have material removed from social networking sites, but what about forums etc?

I was reading a politically controversial forum the other night; the rules to be accepted before joining made it clear that no posts would be removed, even if the person had changed their views since and requested their removal:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...protection-law

I really like the idea of removing those annoying & misleading opt in/out tick boxes. The extra funds for unlawful disclosure are a good thing too. My local authority passed on personal information about myself to a third party, despite a categoric request not to do so.

My solicitor says that under the current system I'll be lucky to get £100 in compensation
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2017, 23:10   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Data Protection laws to be strengthened.

Just as long as it's not misused by those seeking to hide criminal or suspect behaviour/history.
Old 07-08-2017, 23:59   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I had a quick look at this earlier.

first impressions is it's just a way to hide your chavvy, racist, terrorist, abusive, pedo life from getting in the way of getting a job.

courtesy of the government.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:37   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I had a quick look at this earlier.

first impressions is it's just a way to hide your chavvy, racist, terrorist, abusive, pedo life from getting in the way of getting a job.

courtesy of the government.
I agree. You shouldn't be allowed to change history!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 13:52   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Good grief .........

Quote:
Expand the definition of ‘personal data’ to include IP addresses, internet cookies
IP Addresses are not personal, you dont have your own IP Address.

Cookies are only stored on your own devices, you just delete them yourself.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 14:37   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Good grief .........

IP Addresses are not personal, you dont have your own IP Address.

Cookies are only stored on your own devices, you just delete them yourself.
Although it can still be traced back to you I would imagine even if it has changed.

If you're up to no good you can hide your IP anyway.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 15:16   #7
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Not read the whole thing but read an opinion that some of it is designed to help the rich remove content they want from the web with the help of their lawyers. Wouldn't surprise me, along with stuff that allows the US to still hoover whatever data they want, but hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Also guessing we will no longer see those annoying cookie acceptance prompts (which I never click but notice many sites still put them on before acceptance anyway) which visitors from the UK see.

Talking of owning IP addresses, I looked up an IP that was on a server I share and my friends name came up on the lookup as he owns the netblock and obviously registered it under his own name. Usually see the ISP or company details. Bit of a shock seeing that and had to inform him

Brilliant news that those not looking after our data securely will be punished but in reality it will only be those who really neglect to secure data. Everyone will still get hacked anyway, just the ones who left the data wide open for everyone will get the financial slap on the wrist. Needs to happen anyway as im running out of space storing a large amount of the internets usernames and passwords. jesjosjen

Last edited by Qtx; 10-08-2017 at 15:21.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 19:13   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Although it can still be traced back to you I would imagine even if it has changed.
Not by Joe public.

Only your ISP would have any records of what IP address was assigned to your router, they are not likely to give that up without a court order.

If you use proxies or other ways to mask it, then the IP linked to you on a site is never going to trace back to you.

They have been watching too many TV movies again.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 19:27   #9
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Not by Joe public.

Only your ISP would have any records of what IP address was assigned to your router, they are not likely to give that up without a court order.

If you use proxies or other ways to mask it, then the IP linked to you on a site is never going to trace back to you.

They have been watching too many TV movies again.
Yes, i meant the internet provider would know, so you would technically be traceable, albeit with difficulty.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 20:25   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Just as long as it's not misused by those seeking to hide criminal or suspect behaviour/history.
I'm sure that people engaged in such activities will use this legislation to try to hide their past.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Not read the whole thing but read an opinion that some of it is designed to help the rich remove content they want from the web with the help of their lawyers. Wouldn't surprise me, along with stuff that allows the US to still hoover whatever data they want, but hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Also guessing we will no longer see those annoying cookie acceptance prompts (which I never click but notice many sites still put them on before acceptance anyway) which visitors from the UK see.

Talking of owning IP addresses, I looked up an IP that was on a server I share and my friends name came up on the lookup as he owns the netblock and obviously registered it under his own name. Usually see the ISP or company details. Bit of a shock seeing that and had to inform him

Brilliant news that those not looking after our data securely will be punished but in reality it will only be those who really neglect to secure data. Everyone will still get hacked anyway, just the ones who left the data wide open for everyone will get the financial slap on the wrist. Needs to happen anyway as im running out of space storing a large amount of the internets usernames and passwords. jesjosjen
Totally agree that rich (often referred to as 'celebrities') will want to utilise this to their own advantage and I also welcome the increase in fines for those not looking after data properly.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree. You shouldn't be allowed to change history!
The Government say that they are doing this to help young people erase past behaviour to help them find employment eg running around naked in a drunken state, making comments on the internet that would put off an employer etc.

On the one hand I do agree with you, but on the other hand everyone makes mistakes that shouldn't ruin the rest of their life. I'm just thankful that there was no interest in my younger days

It's interesting to note that under the current system those with a criminal record can have it erased under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, but someone just behaving in a stupid manner cannot!

On the other hand don't employers deserve to know the real person that they are employing??

I can see both sides of this.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 23:37   #11
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The Government say that they are doing this to help young people erase past behaviour to help them find employment
See.

they feel guilty for a lot of it and want to cover it all up.

pathetic really.

bit like not wanting to jail anybody and fine them instead.
you can commit any crime. all crimes have different charges.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 23:50   #12
RizzyKing

Unless it's personal information put up by someone other then who the information relates too i don't think anyone should be able to have past internet posts or behaviour wiped. We already have a culture where some people say the worst things on the internet as they hide behind user names and impulse posting and this will just reinforce that culture. I'd rather people had to think before posting and be aware that impulse or unpleasant internet behaviour remains for any and all to see.