Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2017, 16:20   #1696
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Does this relate to one or more new channels (or streaming services) of any worth coming to VM or will it be another damp squib?
Can't reveal more at this time...

Our Media Boy Sources has given us an DNP order.

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Some more info on changes to Sky Sports:
New channels include one for golf, one for cricket, two for football and Sky Sports Arena for rugby, tennis and other sport. Entry point is £18.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...l-golf-cricket
Paper talk.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
TruTV +1 has been resurrected on Sky by the channels new owners. Wonder if it's coming to VM?
Maybe JJ20X will know more.

But as far as MB HQ knows no more Sony UK (Sony runs TruTV UK now) own channels are still to launch on Virgin Media UK any time soon.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Confirmed: Disney XD +1 will be rebrand as TBC.

But will be showing Spider Man 24/7 for July from July 3rd.

On Virgin UK Channel 708.

Info from Virgin TV Kids and TiVo.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2017, 04:14   #1697
jj20x

Quote:
TruTV +1 has been resurrected on Sky by the channels new owners. Wonder if it's coming to VM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Maybe JJ20X will know more.

But as far as MB HQ knows no more Sony UK (Sony runs TruTV UK now) own channels are still to launch on Virgin Media UK any time soon.
I've not been given any scan data for the past few days and it is unlikely that I will get any before the first week in July, so I've certainly not seen anything. I wouldn't have thought that Sony would be in a mad rush to bring TruTV +1 to VM, I think it will be in the queue behind, True Entertainment +1, True Movies +1, True Crime and the rest, which may or may not be coming soon...

Meanwhile, Brit Asia TV has now been added to the EPG on channel 840.

Old 29-06-2017, 08:06   #1698
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Its noticeable that MPEG4 muxes are now in use.

Just recorded a 2 1/2 hour film on TPTV. Only shows as using 1 hour of space on the disk.
Old 29-06-2017, 08:30   #1699
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post

Just recorded a 2 1/2 hour film on TPTV. Only shows as using 1 hour of space on the disk.
Well, that's good news. My HD recordings take up a considerable amount of space on my V6s.
Old 29-06-2017, 08:34   #1700
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I thought it was only the HD channels that were changing to mpeg4?
I take it there are no SD-only capable boxes out in circulation nowadays?
Old 29-06-2017, 10:56   #1701
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There still lots of SD only boxes.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:

Which box was that one?

As far as I know, HD channels haven't gone to MPEG4 yet.

And on TiVo at least the space used is in percentage and GB, not hours.
Old 29-06-2017, 11:11   #1702
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There still lots of SD only boxes.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Which box was that one?

Still have V+ boxes. I'll see if it happens again with other recordings. The box is normally spot on with SD usage.
Old 29-06-2017, 11:19   #1703
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It could be that Talking Pictures has a low SD bitrate due to some of the films they show not needing a lot. Not seen it myself so not sure on that though.
Old 29-06-2017, 14:33   #1704
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
I've not been given any scan data for the past few days and it is unlikely that I will get any before the first week in July, so I've certainly not seen anything. I wouldn't have thought that Sony would be in a mad rush to bring TruTV +1 to VM, I think it will be in the queue behind, True Entertainment +1, True Movies +1, True Crime and the rest, which may or may not be coming soon...

Meanwhile, Brit Asia TV has now been added to the EPG on channel 840.
Two days early too!

I see what you mean, I'd prefer True Crime to a timeshift of an existing channel, useful as they are. Wonder when the Sony carriage deal is up?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 29-06-2017 at 15:04.
Old 29-06-2017, 16:24   #1705
jj20x

Quote:
They haven't, it's still only used for on demand streams.

Quote:
It is in hours on "System Info" on the Tivo, and not very accurate.

Quote:
It could be that Talking Pictures has a low SD bitrate due to some of the films they show not needing a lot. Not seen it myself so not sure on that though.
The average bitrate, according to www.digitalbitrate.com is pretty low. 5USA, on the same transport stream, shows a significantly higher average bitrate.

Stats for Talking Pictures at: http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...&sec=0&lang=en

Old 29-06-2017, 21:33   #1706
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
It is in hours on "System Info" on the Tivo, and not very accurate.
TiVo will have chosen a certain bit rate to use as the basis of the hours calculation. So some channels will use less than that - not sure if some use more.

I don't think TiVo has ever published what bitrate they assume for HD and SD channel bitrates, but there are some posts around for the US TiVo boxes. Whether it's the same or different for other TiVo based boxes I'm not sure.

The bit of TiVo I was talking about is if you press OK on an individual recording to get the the full screen show information, and then press Info to bring up the recording information. At the bottom is detail about how much the recording physically takes up on the hard disk
Old 30-06-2017, 15:34   #1707
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

That's a significant change to the platform, after being mooted for several years. When did that happen?

VM are changing over to MPEG4, just as others are moving onto h.265...
Old 30-06-2017, 15:43   #1708
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
That's a significant change to the platform, after being mooted for several years. When did that happen?
It hasn't yet

Quote:
VM are changing over to MPEG4, just as others are moving onto h.265...
Virgin Media can only change to that which it boxes support. Considering Virgin Media's older TiVo box came out before h.265 was even a standard, then it can't support it!
Old 30-06-2017, 19:16   #1709
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Can't reveal more at this time...

Our Media Boy Sources has given us an DNP order.
Hope it's something more welcome than the current obsession with Asian stuff that both Sky & VM appear to have:

http://www.virginmedia.com/content/v...16:288871583:0

The addition of more Asian channels is the only recent comment I've seen from VM.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:06   #1710
jj20x

Quote:
Hope it's something more welcome than the current obsession with Asian stuff that both Sky & VM appear to have...
Indeed, it does seem as if we all need to learn Hindi, Russian etc to enjoy some of VM's latest additions.

I have been given scan data for the end of June, which shows 4 new cryptically named additions (on 4 networks used by VM for internal testing):

TSID 8, SID 809, Service Name: InternalASD
TSID 9, SID 915, Service Name: InternalBSD
TSID 23, SID 2303, Service Name: InternalAHD
TSID 35, SID 3503, Service Name: InternalBHD

Indications are that these channels will be in the Sky Sports packs and in the Sports section of the EPG on channels 519, 520, 509 and 510 respectively. The EPG programme information states "Coming Soon".

Last edited by jj20x; 01-07-2017 at 03:15.

Closed Thread