Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 22-01-2017, 15:07   #6841
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

The so called experts of Henry , Souness . etc , etc , etc get my boat and on BT the pundits are even worse IMO..
Old 22-01-2017, 16:08   #6842
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The so called experts of Henry , Souness . etc , etc , etc get my boat and on BT the pundits are even worse IMO..
I agree Den Henry and Souness ain't the best.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:17   #6843
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

BT and Sky take to the pitch for Champions League rematch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...eague-rematch/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:32   #6844
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
BT and Sky take to the pitch for Champions League rematch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...eague-rematch/
Expect them to offer half what they offered before.
Old 22-01-2017, 20:46   #6845
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Expect them to offer half what they offered before.
That would certainly be preferable , however just to correct you I think it was actually said that many of us didn't believe we'd see the sharp increases as with previous rights.

The deal could very well net more but in what form ?

If Sky was to win and pay more than BT currently do how much do you forsee a Sky Sports sub costing ?

There are other options like so many games being offered to a FTA broadcaster a tie up between a FTA broadcaster and a pay broadcaster. The article also mentions possible pan European deal or global basis let's wait and see.
Old 22-01-2017, 20:50   #6846
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
That would certainly be preferable , however just to correct you I think it was actually said that many of us didn't believe we'd see the sharp increases as with previous rights.

The deal could very well net more but in what form ?

If Sky was to win and pay more than BT currently do how much do you forsee a Sky Sports sub costing ?

There are other options like so many games being offered to a FTA broadcaster a tie up between a FTA broadcaster and a pay broadcaster. The article also mentions possible pan European deal or global basis let's wait and see.
Part of my post was meant in jest MM as personally l think the bidding will be above what was paid last time but as you know l am often wrong in my predictions but we shall see what happens as you so succinctly say.
Old 22-01-2017, 21:11   #6847
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Part of my post was meant in jest MM as personally l think the bidding will be above what was paid last time but as you know l am often wrong in my predictions but we shall see what happens as you so succinctly say.
Den trust me I get equally as many things wrong. My beliefs are just based on the fact I believe Sports rights cannot continue to increase at the rate they have been in my opinion everyone has a limit of what represents value for money to them. We will see.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:45   #6848
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky Acquires Majority Stake In True North, Invests In Chrysalis Vision

http://deadline.com/2017/01/sky-majo...nt-1201892237/

Sky prepares for push into film production

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...lm-production/

Clearly trying to make its offering less reliant on Sport ?
Old 23-01-2017, 11:50   #6849
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky Acquires Majority Stake In True North, Invests In Chrysalis Vision

http://deadline.com/2017/01/sky-majo...nt-1201892237/

Sky prepares for push into film production

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...lm-production/

Clearly trying to make its offering less reliant on Sport ?
I was thinking maybe to make its offering less reliant on HBO in case the latter decides to set up its own channels/service. The only exclusive content is content that you commission yourself.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:53   #6850
denphone
Still alive and fighting

You could say that but remember Sport has been Sky's mighty financial driver of subscriptions for over 20 years now and without it they might find themselves up the creek without a paddle quicker then one can imagine but personally l cannot see that happening anytime soon.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I was thinking maybe to make its offering less reliant on HBO in case the latter decides to set up its own channels/service. The only exclusive content is content that you commission yourself.
And most of Sky's own exclusive commissions have failed to get decent audiences on the scale of the GOT and other HBO content.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:03   #6851
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

If anyone wants to understand more about bidding for the Champions League and the BT-Sky rivalry, these two in-depth posts from Mike Darcey (former COO at Sky) are worth your while reading.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/biddi...?trk=prof-post

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/biddi...ii-mike-darcey

Credit to finding them: RobSmithS on Digital Spy
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...postcount=2995

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

Quote:
And most of Sky's own exclusive commissions have failed to get decent audiences on the scale of the GOT and other HBO content.
Therein lies the dilemma. Sky's dependency here gives HBO more leverage in negotiations. The balance of power would be tipped in Sky's favour if its own content secured GoT-like viewing figures. Maybe the combination with Fox will help facilitate this too.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:08   #6852
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Only HBO will know when that time is right on Sky's most recent deal I've worked out HBO would need north of 450,000 subscribers to equal what Sky is paying them. In that working I haven't allowed for extra costs such as marketing , subscription billing and the cost of running it's own streaming service. As an estimate I'd say they'd need at least north of a million paying customers on a subscription of £10 a month.
Old 23-01-2017, 16:53   #6853
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I agree Den Henry and Souness ain't the best.
I had figured after the universal disdain for owen that sky and BT would hire pundits based on actual talent at the job rather than "name value". Henry is absolutely terrible at his job. Hired purely as he's "thierry henry". I'd rather have a man out of the pub giving his views if he's more articulate than Henry.

Looking at the wages of neville, owen, carragher, henry etc and the price i pay each month for sky sports going towards this...one wonders if we can "opt out" of grinning pundits in the future.

£25 for sky sports with the expensive wages of the cliche "MNF/Super sunday LADZ"
XL package needed for BT sports and the expensive wages for the awful punditry of BT sports at pitch side.

OR

Ten quid off the bill for everything if you just want football coverage. No expensive pundits. Their wage bill taken off for good. At half time you're just greeted with a black screen until the game finishes.

I'd sign up for the latter.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 19:24   #6854
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You could say that but remember Sport has been Sky's mighty financial driver of subscriptions for over 20 years now and without it they might find themselves up the creek without a paddle quicker then one can imagine but personally l cannot see that happening anytime soon.
That's right, Den, but you will be aware of the growing resistence to price rises in relation to the cost of sport. If higher bids result in higher prices on a regular basis, the law of diminishing returns start to kick in, and then sport will no longer be the mighty financial driver it once was.

As I said before, you can't just the future by the present. Things have a habit of changing.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Another blow for VM subscribers.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/f...ation-via.html

BT Sport subscribers with Sky, BT TV, TalkTalk, or who access BT Sport via the app will gain access to Boxing channel BoxNation from 24th February 2017.

The tie-up between the two broadcasters was first announced last year, but since then further details alongside the launch date have become available. While BT Sport subscribers using BT's and TalkTalk's YouView-based TV services or using Sky will benefit, Virgin Media customers with BT Sport are excluded.

Anyone with the BT Sport Pack will get BoxNation for free from 24th February 2017, although BoxNation's pay-per-view events won't be included, according to BT. HD pack customers will gain free access to BoxNation in high definition. BT Sport Lite Pack customers will need to upgrade to the full BT Sport pack to gain access to BoxNation.

The launch coincides with an evening of boxing including Boy Jones Jnr v Craig Poxton and Jay Harris v Thomas Essomba from Bethanal Green.

As part of the deal between BoxNation and BT Sport, Saturday night Fight Nights will also feature on the BT Sport channels.

As announced on Friday, BT will start charging all BT TV customers for BT Sport from 1st August 2017. This affects those watching in standard definition, as HD and UHD customers already pay a premium for BT Sport in high and ultra high definition formats. BT is increasing the monthly subscription charge for those accessing BT Sport via Sky from the same date. However, BT says the deal with BoxNation means viewers who previously subscribed to both services separately will save £144 a year.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:04   #6855
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's right, Den, but you will be aware of the growing resistence to price rises in relation to the cost of sport. If higher bids result in higher prices on a regular basis, the law of diminishing returns start to kick in, and then sport will no longer be the mighty financial driver it once was.

As I said before, you can't just the future by the present. Things have a habit of changing.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Another blow for VM subscribers.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/f...ation-via.html

BT Sport subscribers with Sky, BT TV, TalkTalk, or who access BT Sport via the app will gain access to Boxing channel BoxNation from 24th February 2017.

The tie-up between the two broadcasters was first announced last year, but since then further details alongside the launch date have become available. While BT Sport subscribers using BT's and TalkTalk's YouView-based TV services or using Sky will benefit, Virgin Media customers with BT Sport are excluded.

Anyone with the BT Sport Pack will get BoxNation for free from 24th February 2017, although BoxNation's pay-per-view events won't be included, according to BT. HD pack customers will gain free access to BoxNation in high definition. BT Sport Lite Pack customers will need to upgrade to the full BT Sport pack to gain access to BoxNation.

The launch coincides with an evening of boxing including Boy Jones Jnr v Craig Poxton and Jay Harris v Thomas Essomba from Bethanal Green.

As part of the deal between BoxNation and BT Sport, Saturday night Fight Nights will also feature on the BT Sport channels.

As announced on Friday, BT will start charging all BT TV customers for BT Sport from 1st August 2017. This affects those watching in standard definition, as HD and UHD customers already pay a premium for BT Sport in high and ultra high definition formats. BT is increasing the monthly subscription charge for those accessing BT Sport via Sky from the same date. However, BT says the deal with BoxNation means viewers who previously subscribed to both services separately will save £144 a year.
Virgin Media did confirm to SeeNit on December 12th that Boxnation was not set to launch on the XL Package or join the BT Sport package.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote