Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20-04-2017, 12:06   #121
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: June 8th General Election

I see McDonnell reckons anyone earning £70-80k pa is rich. I dare say he's referring to all those MP's who for so long were telling us how poor they were and that's why they needed all those expenses to survive. Maybe he hasn't noticed that though.

Anyway, is a family relying on 2 wage earners with a combined income of £80k richer than a one earner family on the same income I wonder? I'd have thought the latter would already be quite a lot worse off and this plan would make it worse wouldn't it?

Still it appears only 5% of tax payers earn more than the figures McDonnell quoted so I'm not sure how much his extra tax would actually raise but I'm sure all his colleagues will be delighted to stump up and feel good about themselves even if it winds up costing UK PLC.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...h-70000-labour

Last edited by Osem; 20-04-2017 at 12:10.
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2017, 12:21   #122
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
A straw man argument. I've not mentioned hard or soft Brexit.
Really ? ....

Quote:
Reports in the FT today saying that the Government is getting close to business again. Unlike Gove and Farage, it's been running its slide rule over the figures and realises that a sudden hard Brexit would cause large scale economic and social problems which are not what people voted for. Hopefully a sane, soft Brexit will prevail.
Not mentioned it? You sure?.....

Quote:
Hopefully all those new Lidl employees will press their MPs for a soft Brexit with freedom of movement and no tariffs.
I think we must have a 1andrew1 imposter.....

Quote:
The irony about this sort of deal is that the EU pays into the EU budget, accepts its legislation but cannot influence the legislation.

But the bigger picture is this - are Boris Johnson and David Davis preparing people for a soft Brexit with freedom of movement and paying into the the EU coffers? This will go down well with a lot of the country but not Farage and friends.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Labour MPs not wanting to stand for re-election rises to double figures.... Labour MP for Slough, Fiona MacTaggart, is latest to say she won't stand.
Old 20-04-2017, 13:47   #123
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Really ? ....

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Labour MPs not wanting to stand for re-election rises to double figures.... Labour MP for Slough, Fiona MacTaggart, is latest to say she won't stand.
Rats deserting Corbyns's sinking Labour party ship.
Old 20-04-2017, 14:07   #124
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Rats deserting Corbyns's sinking Labour party ship.
it's a good opportunity for jobs
Old 20-04-2017, 14:09   #125
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Really ? ....

Ha ha. I see what you've done but in the article I've referenced I've not mentioned hard or soft Brexit so why bring it up?
Old 20-04-2017, 14:20   #126
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Ha ha. I see what you've done but in the article I've referenced I've not mentioned hard or soft Brexit so why bring it up?
Are you being deliberately delusional?

It's true in that single one post, those words were not uttered by you, however, you have brought to the table, the article itself, that does mention it, several times, so you have essentially mentioned it by proxy and as my last post shows you have mentioned it in your posts for some time now.

So here is a "ha ha" back and a : to answer your 'why bring it up?'..
Old 20-04-2017, 14:21   #127
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p23mA2VV0A
Old 20-04-2017, 14:34   #128
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

It's true in that single one post, those words were not uttered by you, however, you have brought to the table, the article itself, that does mention it, several times, so you have essentially mentioned it by proxy and as my last post shows you have mentioned it in your posts for some time now.

If you want to criticise my use of the hard or soft Brexit term in the past then fine, quote it and criticise it.
But to quote a current post of mine that is not talking of hard or soft Brexit and to then start criticising me for using that terminology is a tad confusing and more argumentative than discussive.
Old 20-04-2017, 14:44   #129
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
If you want to criticise my use of the hard or soft Brexit term in the past then fine, quote it and criticise it.
But to quote a current post of mine that is not talking of hard or soft Brexit and to then start criticising me for using that terminology is a tad confusing and more argumentative than discussive.
You're the one who is being argumentative. I am not. I am stating facts, the post IS discussing it. The very article itself that you have quoted mentions it.
Old 20-04-2017, 15:15   #130
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The first YouGov/Times voting intention figures following Theresa May's shock calls for a snap election sees a significant increase in voting intention for the Conservatives who are up four points to 48%. Labour meanwhile are on 24% (from 23% last week), giving the Tories a 24 point lead.

These results represent the highest vote share for the Conservatives since May 2008, and is also the strongest lead for the Tories since that period.

Elsewhere the Liberal Democrats remain on 12%, whilst UKIP's 7% is lowest since January 2013 (from 10% last week), and votes for other parties stand at 9% (from 10%).
YouGov link
Old 20-04-2017, 15:24   #131
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

It's depressing that this new thread is settling in to a familiar childish and aggressive tone ..
Old 20-04-2017, 15:47   #132
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
It's depressing that this new thread is settling in to a familiar childish and aggressive tone ..
It's depressing that people don't know how to discuss things properly, or in this instance, totally deny they raised such an issue or conveniently forget what they posted, but that's right, as always, it really is not surprising that you're bound to side with your remainer buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It would seem Corbyn is now in desperate measures mode and trying to take on tactics seen across the pond, buzzword from his Labour camp this morning and believe me this is not FAKE NEWS, but he was saying repeatedly the system is rigged.
Old 20-04-2017, 16:05   #133
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I know politicians have to be optimistic about their prospects but this is delusional:

Quote:
Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell insisted Labour would “shock people” with the way it would turn the polls around. And Jeremy Corbyn will today insist the Election result is not a “foregone conclusion”.
Quote:
Mr Goodwin (pollster) told the Sun: “Labour is facing a potent cocktail of problems.

“There are still not seen to be economically competent and they have one of the most unpopular leaders in British political history.

“But they also have a divided and unclear message on issues that ordinary families really care about, such as Brexit and immigration.
Source

This supertanker's not for turning.
Old 20-04-2017, 17:32   #134
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You're the one who is being argumentative. I am not. I am stating facts, the post IS discussing it. The very article itself that you have quoted mentions it.
Asking someone "Are you being deliberately delusional?" is argumentative in my opinion.

I constructively avoided the use of hard/soft Brexit in my recent posts as I didn't feel that resurrecting the debate was constructive, but I appreciate that one of the four articles did say "soft Brexit, or a more market and economic friendly divorce from the continent."

The City's argument which people can agree or disagree with is that a good election result for Theresa May will help her to move the UK out of the EU in a manner which will be less of a shock to the system and can accommodate a transition phase and even some outsourcing of regulation to the EU for some time.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Former Ukip MP Douglas Carswell to step down in Clacton
Move sees party’s ex-financial backer Arron Banks say he may ditch plan to stand for seat, where he had hoped to face Carswell
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...own-in-clacton
Old 20-04-2017, 17:44   #135
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Asking someone "Are you being deliberately delusional?" is argumentative in my opinion.

I constructively avoided the use of hard/soft Brexit in my recent posts as I didn't feel that resurrecting the debate was constructive, but I appreciate that one of the four articles did say "soft Brexit, or a more market and economic friendly divorce from the continent."

The City's argument which people can agree or disagree with is that a good election result for Theresa May will help her to move the UK out of the EU in a manner which will be less of a shock to the system and can accommodate a transition phase and even some outsourcing of regulation to the EU for some time.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Former Ukip MP Douglas Carswell to step down in Clacton
Move sees party’s ex-financial backer Arron Banks say he may ditch plan to stand for seat, where he had hoped to face Carswell
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...own-in-clacton
I have a sneaky suspicion Farage may make his move on Clacton to get in to parliament, he has apparently said something about making a decision in next few days.

Oh btw, Andrew, I am glad you finally agree with me that you did raise the issue of soft brexit in the post, not necessarily you via your words but by highlighting the articles you quoted from.
Closed Thread