Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-04-2017, 22:00   #106
RizzyKing

Re: June 8th General Election

I think she was hoping that an election wouldn't be needed before it's scheduled date but clearly things have happened that have convinced her this is the right course of action. The amount of political has beens spouting off and inciting sitting MP's to make things difficult has likely played a part and the freedom to do What's right without being held to ransom due to a tiny majority also contributed to this decision. I think it's right we have an election so that we have a strong government to conclude the EU exit.

Advertisement
Old 19-04-2017, 22:14   #107
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I think she was hoping that an election wouldn't be needed before it's scheduled date but clearly things have happened that have convinced her this is the right course of action. The amount of political has beens spouting off and inciting sitting MP's to make things difficult has likely played a part and the freedom to do What's right without being held to ransom due to a tiny majority also contributed to this decision. I think it's right we have an election so that we have a strong government to conclude the EU exit.
The things that happened could be things like a 20 point polling lead perhaps?

The logic for an election has been there all along. Small majority, hopeless opposition, 2020 election is awkwardly timed. I think what changed is the rumour Corbyn will be out after a dismal showing in the local elections.

If I was her I could call an election too. Don't see why we can't call it for what it is, a political decision to capitalise on a opportune moment.
Old 19-04-2017, 22:23   #108
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I don't think Theresa May wanted to enter elections in 2020 with the UK still half in the EU, which is a likely scenario. With a larger number of Conservative MPs, she will be less dependent on the Brextremeists in the party and can implement a more reasoned Brexit.

The key learning point from the election is that the Fixed Term Parliament Act is pretty ineffective.
Old 19-04-2017, 23:06   #109
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: Snap CF Poll: Who would you vote for on June 8th General Election?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think a lot of people in Scotland are feeling that way. There are a few seats the Tories should definitely be targeting in Scotland, though they shouldn't take their eye off Dumfriesshire because the other parties aren't above game playing and they would all love to see David Mundell unseated.

However in your case Nash I'd say a Tory vote in Glasgow is probably a waste ... if you can't get a Tory in, next best thing is to get a SNat out. Find out who came second to the SNP in your seat in 2015, and vote for them.
Never thought to look back Thanks
Old 19-04-2017, 23:10   #110
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The things that happened could be things like a 20 point polling lead perhaps?

The logic for an election has been there all along. Small majority, hopeless opposition, 2020 election is awkwardly timed. I think what changed is the rumour Corbyn will be out after a dismal showing in the local elections.

If I was her I could call an election too. Don't see why we can't call it for what it is, a political decision to capitalise on a opportune moment.
Who wouldn't take the opportinity to trounce the opposition when the chance presented itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I don't think Theresa May wanted to enter elections in 2020 with the UK still half in the EU, which is a likely scenario. With a larger number of Conservative MPs, she will be less dependent on the Brextremeists in the party and can implement a more reasoned Brexit.
Dream on andrew.

Last edited by pip08456; 20-04-2017 at 00:24.
Old 19-04-2017, 23:52   #111
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Her reasoning doesn't make much sense.

If she goes down the Brexit route, she has outlined; no deal is better than a bad deal, and no deal turned out to be the case, then, given her small majority, I think it may have triggered an election. Best to get the election out of the way now perhaps?
Old 20-04-2017, 00:28   #112
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Dream on andrew.
Not me dreaming but what the City thinks.

Quote:
The resounding victory for the Conservatives predicted in almost all polls would lessen the influence of the right wing of her party, making a "pragmatic approach through Brexit" more likely, Halpenny added.
http://www.cityam.com/263031/sterlin...rise-statement

Quote:
5:21 pm The markets are betting Theresa May's snap general election will provide greater certainty (and a softer Brexit)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...e-100-suffers/

Quote:
Today's rise in the pound suggests markets are betting that Theresa May will (a) win and (b) win a bigger majority than she currently has, which (c) will make her less dependent on hardline Eurosceptics in her own party.
The theory goes that all this will allow her room to deliver a softer Brexit, which will be less of a shock to the economic system - hence the pound strengthens.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39633479

Quote:
Powering the pound is the prospect that, for the first time since the EU referendum, there is a route map for a soft Brexit, or a more market and economic friendly divorce from the continent.
At first glance that seems implausible given that investors tend to equate snap elections with uncertainty. Yet those investors with political antennas knew that far greater uncertainty lay down the road without one.
The snap election is a calculated gamble by the prime minister to beef up her Commons majority — which stands at 17 — neutralise the extreme Eurosceptics in her party, and strengthen her negotiating stance, says Mr Saravelos.
It also changes the negotiations landscape. A general election slated for 2020 had tied Mrs May to an unrealistic timetable for completing the talks.
https://www.ft.com/content/ff1365c2-...a-538b4cb30025 or Google "Theresa May’s snap election opens new chapter for the pound"
Old 20-04-2017, 01:00   #113
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

You keep telling yourself that BS, Andrew. There is no hard or soft brexit, there is just brexit, so get used to it.
Old 20-04-2017, 01:24   #114
RizzyKing

Andrew go and read article 50 please for all our sakes and then stop with this hard\soft brexit rubbish because nobody who has read article 50 is talking about soft brexit as it doesn't allow for it in any way shape or form. This delusion that some are holding onto that we can somehow be out but partially in is ridiculous and the people spouting it need to give it up I'm also aware that some business people and city people have had their comments taken out of context on the matter most often by being asked this question "would it be preferable to have a hard or soft brexit for the city". A larger majority for May will mean that no deal rather then a bad deal is how things will go.

Old 20-04-2017, 01:31   #115
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You keep telling yourself that BS, Andrew. There is no hard or soft brexit, there just brexit, so get used to it.
Exactly, why the press can't understand that and keep giving remoaners false hope is beyond me.

As I have said before in this thread. the only possible form of a "soft" brexit is a transition period which the EU autocrats may deign to allow.

Personally I think we'll be better off without one.

I'd also tell them what they can do with their 60 billion and offset it on all EU assets that we have helped to build with what we have already paid!

Last edited by pip08456; 20-04-2017 at 01:40.
Old 20-04-2017, 10:18   #116
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

The key learning point from the election is that the Fixed Term Parliament Act is pretty ineffective.
how true

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

EXCLUSIVE: Tory manifesto will guarantee end of free movement, UK to leave single market and no more meddling by Euro judges as May issues her cast-iron Brexit pledges

Theresa May will place a triple lock on Brexit in the Tory manifesto to stop obstruction by diehard Remainers.
Tory sources say she is set to include specific pledges to overcome opposition within her party and in the Lords.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4emAFnXr1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 20-04-2017, 10:21   #117
RizzyKing

So she's just going to follow the article 50 process as set out in article 50 which clearly some people have not bothered to fully read and understand. I will await the outrage from the ignorant remainers who haven't got round to reading it yet.

Old 20-04-2017, 10:34   #118
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You keep telling yourself that BS, Andrew. There is no hard or soft brexit, there is just brexit, so get used to it.
A straw man argument. I've not mentioned hard or soft Brexit.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 20-04-2017 at 10:49.
Old 20-04-2017, 10:44   #119
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Tory manifesto will guarantee end of free movement, UK to leave single market and no more meddling by Euro judges as May issues her cast-iron Brexit pledges

Theresa May will place a triple lock on Brexit in the Tory manifesto to stop obstruction by diehard Remainers.
Tory sources say she is set to include specific pledges to overcome opposition within her party and in the Lords.
Putting these things in the manifesto achieves two functions: Firstly ALL prospective Tory candidates have to sign up to the manifesto to be selected by the local party committees thus quelling rebellion from her backbenchers especially over Brexit, secondly it allows for use of the Parliament act to cow the Lords inbuilt opposition to leaving the EU.
Old 20-04-2017, 10:53   #120
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

On a more general note I'm going to look to candidates that avoid negative campaigning. I want to know what they've done and will do and why I should vote for them. I don't want to hear how bad "the others" are and why I shouldn't vote for them.