Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC One to equip Wales and NI newsrooms for HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

BBC One to equip Wales and NI newsrooms for HD

Old 21-10-2017, 14:57   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
BBC One to equip Wales and NI newsrooms for HD

Despite being touted as an HD channel, I was surprised to learn that viewers in Wales still have to get their local news in SD!

Been told by someone working in the industry that this should be resolved in the first quarter of 2019.

Do Welsh viewers currently have to switch over to the SD channel to get their local news like English viewers do?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2017, 15:19   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

BBC NI to imminently go fully HD.

Someone working in the industry has been told that the work to upgrade the Northern Irish newsroom to HD is now complete (playout has been HD for some time now).

Looks like BBC1 NI will be imminently going full HD
Old 21-10-2017, 15:26   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

An industry insider has said that BBC Wales is to have their local news provided in HD from the first quarter of 2019.

Work to make the BBC1 NI newsroom HD is now complete, so that should be going live shortly.

These additions will mean that Welsh and NI viewers on Freesat will get a truly full HD channel for their BBC1 service.
Old 21-10-2017, 15:27   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Re: New channels planned for Freeview.

An industry insider has said that BBC Wales is to have their local news provided in HD from the first quarter of 2019.

Work to make the BBC1 NI newsroom HD is now complete, so that should be going live shortly.

These additions will mean that Welsh and NI viewers on Freeview will get a truly full HD channel for their BBC1 service.
Old 21-10-2017, 15:34   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: BBC Wales to go fully HD.

BBC One began simulcasting the national variants of BBC One in HD in 2012-13. On Freesat at least, BBC One Scotland HD has been assigned to channel 101 since launch. I understand they are doing a phased roll-out of English regional variants this year and next.

So BBC One Wales HD does exist and can be viewed without changing channel. However I don't know how VM have implemented this. What your friend is saying doesn't seem to make sense though. I can't see why VM wouldn't have put BBC One Wales HD in EPG slot 101 years ago.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Threads merged

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Reading your items about NI and Wales together, I wonder whether the issue is that the local newsrooms haven't been equipped with HD cameras, and so are issuing bulletins in SD even though they're putting them onto an HD channel? That isn't the case in Scotland, but then BBC Scotland moved to new premises in 2007 so they may have equipped it for HD from the outset.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

... and you've said as much in the Freesat and Freeview threads. This clearly in neither a VM, nor Freesat, nor a Freeview issue, but a matter of BBC resourcing its regional operations (or not resourcing them, as the case may be) I'd be grateful if you could stop prompting what is essentially the same conversation in multiple locations.

Thread closed

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Lots of posts merged, thread reopened. Please behave, there was no need for this and I've got other things to do this afternoon.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 19:35   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: BBC One to equip Wales and NI newsrooms for HD

That is one thing which has always flipping bugged me. BBC 2 is BBC2 HD by default on Sky on channel 102. Why is channel 101 BBC1 SD and BBC1 HD on something like channel 140. It does my head in when I watch Wimbledon every year and want to flip between the channels.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote