Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 16:07   #1081
stewie
Inactive

stewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

think mine has just been done, i was on the net, and the modem.. u/s sync and rdy lights went out for about 20-30 min, when they came back on had to reboot, and it seems i`m faster on the web now.. 45sec for a 2.2mb file.

i was on 150kbs
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2004, 19:18   #1082
fragless
Inactive

Services: 120mb BB
fragless is on a distinguished roadfragless is on a distinguished road

Just rebooted and....

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 1536000

/me very happy now
Old 12-08-2004, 21:00   #1083
webvictim
Inactive

webvictim is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that ntlhell's speed test has problems with detecting how fast my connection is...
Old 12-08-2004, 21:30   #1084
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road

Can anyone who is on the 1.5MB service tell me if it's worth getting instead of the 750K service I am on at present. Is their a major difference in surfing and dowloaded files. I am tempted to go for the 1.5MB service just to get one of them new samsung boxes Still got an old PACE box that's starting to show it's age.
Old 12-08-2004, 22:43   #1085
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-Pod
Can anyone who is on the 1.5MB service tell me if it's worth getting instead of the 750K service I am on at present. Is their a major difference in surfing and dowloaded files. I am tempted to go for the 1.5MB service just to get one of them new samsung boxes Still got an old PACE box that's starting to show it's age.
twice the speed when downloading
Old 12-08-2004, 23:10   #1086
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-Pod
The bigger benefit is te faster upload, good for gaming / uploading photos etc. 750k is pretty adequate for day to day surfing (unless there are lots of you using the connection.
Old 12-08-2004, 23:49   #1087
richard_j_green
Inactive

richard_j_green is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

So what is actually going on with the upstream, because I love my BitTorrent and ??I would love for the extra upstream on-top of the downstream, because then I can get more mmppphhh!!!! :-)

Also, my friend just down the road from me who uses 150 has already been upgraded to 300, but me with my 1Mb is not yet running at 1.5Mb.

Whats going on there?

Richard Green
Old 13-08-2004, 00:02   #1088
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_j_green
So what is actually going on with the upstream, because I love my BitTorrent and ??I would love for the extra upstream on-top of the downstream, because then I can get more mmppphhh!!!! :-)

Also, my friend just down the road from me who uses 150 has already been upgraded to 300, but me with my 1Mb is not yet running at 1.5Mb.

Whats going on there?

Richard Green
If you are running Broadband through a Set top box, the old Pace boxes can't handle 1.5Mb, so NTL are replacing the Pace STBs with Samsung ones that can. Sadly, that means that us 1Mb STB users have to wait until every box has been replaced.
Old 13-08-2004, 01:01   #1089
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

The postcode checker now informs me that 'congratulations my speed has been increased' but it hasn't - I'm still on 1mb, I've tried rebooting but no change.

Samsung STB.

Ian
Old 13-08-2004, 01:30   #1090
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanUK
The postcode checker now informs me that 'congratulations my speed has been increased' but it hasn't - I'm still on 1mb, I've tried rebooting but no change.

Samsung STB.

Ian
According to BBKing (who is in a position to know) they are not upgrading the speed on the STBs until all the affected STBs have been replaced. I don't know wether this is nationally (ie all affected STBs in the UK) or on an area by area basis, so once all the 1Mb Pace STBs in an area have been replaced, all the 1 Mb STBs in that area get upgraded.

I would assume it's the latter. Although, this being NTL, I could be wrong...
Old 13-08-2004, 09:46   #1091
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

OK thanks, the postcode checker is a bit misleading then, its probably going to generate a lot of uneccesary calls to support.

Thanks for the info.

Ian
Old 13-08-2004, 15:07   #1092
snifferg
cf.member

snifferg is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies if this has been raised before (don't want to check by wading through 70 odd pages of posts!) but does anyone wknow why us 600k customers are only getting a 25% increase in speed when everyone else is getting either a 50% increase (1MB customers) or even 100% (300k users) ?

I'm just being greedy but I would have thought I deserve upping to 900k at least !!!
Old 13-08-2004, 15:16   #1093
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Two possible answers
1 - because thats what Telewest did
2 - thinking of Telewests intentions, the 750k lifts it a clear 50ish% above your DSL BB speed, so while you are only getting a 25% uplift you will be downloading 50% faster than the competition.

At 900k they may well need to look at upgrading the upstream speed to cope with the ACK packets and it would probably result in a lot more downgrades from the 1.5 M package.
Old 13-08-2004, 15:38   #1094
stevo_125
Inactive

stevo_125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Well according to the Postcode checker I'm supposed to have been upgraded today.

Does this look like I've been upgraded?

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:57:01 UTC
1st 128K took 4230 ms = 30986 Bytes/sec = approx 258 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 6540 ms = 20042 Bytes/sec = approx 167 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 6310 ms = 20772 Bytes/sec = approx 173 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 4840 ms = 27081 Bytes/sec = approx 225 kbits/sec

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:58:07 UTC
1st 128K took 12690 ms = 10329 Bytes/sec = approx 86 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3790 ms = 34584 Bytes/sec = approx 288 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 9390 ms = 13959 Bytes/sec = approx 116 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 17910 ms = 7318 Bytes/sec = approx 61 kbits/sec

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:01:40 UTC
1st 128K took 15540 ms = 8434 Bytes/sec = approx 70 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 18680 ms = 7017 Bytes/sec = approx 58 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3680 ms = 35617 Bytes/sec = approx 296 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 9500 ms = 13797 Bytes/sec = approx 115 kbits/sec

Incog.
what speed test is that you are using, and where can i find it ?
thanks.

OH and im in bedford, no upgrade yet
Old 13-08-2004, 18:31   #1095
therock247uk
MVP

therock247uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i just got broadband 300 kb service and getting 35 to 40 kb a sec on downloads so im happy
Closed Thread