Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Project Lightning Silence...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Project Lightning Silence...

Old 29-11-2017, 19:24   #121
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quite possibly. I'm not getting my hopes up any more. These are big projects and some might not happen for years yet, even if they do at all.

I'll stick with my 0.7 / 4Mb for now. But might just move house and leave this area if it says this slow for the next 2 years.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2017, 23:49   #122
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

It appears to be the case that the expansion areas have now all been decided and the information walls have now come up - at least until the end of 2019. I'm just observing, but that's the pattern of activity that I'm seeing. There probably won't be anything official about that, I'd imagine, for sensitivity and competitiveness reasons.
Old 08-12-2017, 15:19   #123
Airwaves
Inactive

Services: Sky +, Freesat, Sky Broadband Unlimited.
Airwaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Airwaves

Indeed, every area that isn’t currently served brings up the same message. The downside being that no one can find out IF Virgin are coming their way anymore so it’s just a case of wait and look out your window or roadworks.org.

I’m not sure how to digest my result before the barriers went up. “Sorry, we cant reach you at the moment” implies many different things, but then is that the point as I don’t think they would commit to something like “No, never”.

Im still hopeful, my area was in the plan so perhaps a few issues have surfaced that have stallled the project, it could reopen and get resolved before the end of 2019 or beyond.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:45   #124
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media UK Sue Durham Council Over Fibre Optic Rollout Costs

Quote:
Cable broadband ISP Virgin Media has taken the unusual decision to sue Durham County Council (England) in the hope that doing so will enable them to lay new fibre optic cable along grass verges and without having to pay “hefty” fees per metre. The case will test the recently revised Electronic Communications Code (ECC).

At present Virgin Media are deep into their £3bn Project Lightning expansion, which is working to extend their Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) and Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) based EuroDOCSIS ultrafast broadband and TV network to an additional 4 million premises by around the end of 2019 (possibly 2020). Once completed it should extend their UK coverage to roughly 60% of premises (1.2 million premises have already been reached).
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...out-costs.html
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 18:18   #125
Onramp
Inactive

Not entirely sure what they mean by "deep into" their £3bn expansion.

Into budget, maybe.
Old 12-06-2018, 13:01   #126
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
Not entirely sure what they mean by "deep into" their £3bn expansion.

Into budget, maybe.
Deep into the project, it's been running two years now.
Old 13-06-2018, 18:39   #127
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Deep into the project, it's been running two years now.
Yes and they’ve not really achieved a great deal. I wouldn’t describe them being deep into it at all.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 23:40   #128
Onramp
Inactive

Progress in terms of time: Jun 2015 - Jun 2018 = 3/4 of the way to Jun 2019 75%
Currently at 1.25 million extra homes passed out of 4 million total = deployment is ~30% complete.
Old 14-06-2018, 13:32   #129
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Yes and they’ve not really achieved a great deal. I wouldn’t describe them being deep into it at all.
3 years into a 5 year project.

1.2 million homes connected

So they only achieved 50% of where they thought they would be, but the problems last year were well documented.

110,000 in Q1 this year. They need to increase that considerably to get anywhere near their 5 year target.

However, I would wager that they number of homes so far eclipses all the other Alt providers combined and BT together.
Old 15-06-2018, 11:58   #130
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

I don't believe this is being referred to as a 5 year project now, this hasn't been referenced for some time.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 14:13   #131
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

I know, I didn't mean 5 years and then finish. It will carry on. potentially indefinitely as long as the numbers continue to stack up.

I mean it was a 5 year initial period to hit 4million.
Old 24-08-2018, 16:59   #132
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:

Virgin Media has emerged victorious in a landmark legal battle over a “ransom” demand from a council that it claimed was unlawfully blocking the installation of ultrafast broadband for thousands of homes.

Durham County Council has agreed to allow the operator to install cables along grass verges for a nominal fee of just £1. The local authority had previously demanded “hefty” fees per metre, which Virgin Media said made it impossible to invest in expanding its network coverage.

Virgin Media, owned by the US-listed giant Liberty Global, took the case to court in what was due to be the first test of the recently reformed Electronic Communications Code. The Government last year changed the law on land access rights for telecoms operators in an attempt to speed up the rollout of ultrafast broadband and mobile coverage.

Durham County Council has backed down before the case came to tribunal, agreeing access to grass verges at virtually no charge across the county. Virgin Media has also agreed to connect more homes than it originally planned.

Tom Mockridge, Virgin Media’s chief executive, said the outcome of the dispute would set a “much-needed precedent” and urged other landowners to follow the example.

Durham County Council, which previously criticised Virgin Media for “poor performance” including disruption caused by streetworks, said the row had allowed it “to test and understand the implications of the new code”.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...anning-battle/
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 14:04   #133
techguy
Inactive

techguy is an unknown quantity at this point

is Milton Keynes Council next for legal action?

City Fibre are installing FTTP from scratch in all of MK right now, on behalf of Vodafone Gigafast. If VM commit to a new build now, much of 250k+ homes will get more choice and TV too. Broadband speeds in MK are still on average very poor for superfast definition, as the phone lines are still aluminium pairs to each property so VDSL is shiite. (Thanks BT)
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 00:41   #134
Onramp
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy
is Milton Keynes Council next for legal action?
I just moved here, actually. The broadband where I lived before was 4Mbit and I don't think VM were able to deploy lightning where I was before, despite the high demand, any time soon.

Now that CityFibre/Voda are laying tubes down over here, I can't see VM ever being able to justify expanding at this location. They'll probably keep the business lines going in the centre but the old BT TV network will never be replaced or upgraded. There won't be any residential networks being built in MK by VM either since the addition of a TV service won't be enough to persuade people to take their broadband service over Vodafone and there won't be enough demand, either.

If Vodafone ever do buy VM's network however, the CityFibre network might well be used to deliver a triple-play service at that point in time.

Edit: Vodafone are "Making use" of CityFibre's network. Technically VM could also do this in Milton Keynes once the exclusivity period expires between Vodafone and CityFibre.. but they might just have a bad taste in their mouth from what happened last time with BT!

Last edited by Onramp; 05-12-2018 at 00:45.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:41   #135
Onramp
Inactive

OK, well, this is totally confusing: https://www.totaljobs.com/job/reside...ia-job83444580