Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

Old 09-01-2010, 18:59   #46
Seleroman
Inactive

Seleroman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

Hi
don't think u go home. Unless ur really thick!!! Cos it says in the email about the assessment day that u will have to be there all day even if cannot do all the tasks. But!! Would be nice for someone who's been to enlighten us!
Seleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2010, 20:04   #47
niallharper
Inactive

niallharper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys
New here!
Ive just applied for a apprenticeship with virgin media. Hoping i should be getting the call in the next few days. I am also curious as to the recruitment process. Ive heard that the 'interview day' is quite a fun day but thats all i know!

Many thanks
Niall
niallharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 21:53   #48
Dukefever
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV, XL BB, M Phone, 1GB Tivo + V HD box (Premiere)
Dukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about them

Hi all, Just a little update. I had my 1st phone interview today and passed. I am told that I will now under go a 2nd phone interview that will last about 30mins and should I be successful I will be invited to an open day.

I am feeling fairly nervous about the phone interview. I know the basic's I just can't get away from the lack confidence with an interview on the phone.

Does anyone know if I am going to be asked about past experience's? or Can you give me an example of? and so on or is it the going to be reiterating my CV. Is it as daunting as I feel it is going to be?

Duke
Dukefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 22:51   #49
niallharper
Inactive

Can I ask, what did they ask you in the phone interview? I've got mine coming up in a few days and i don't have a clue what there going to ask!!!
Many thanks.
Old 14-01-2010, 13:38   #50
lukebowdler
Inactive

lukebowdler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, im new on here. i have a date for an assessment centre with virgin media in wythenshawe. any one else been on one already or got one coming up? cheers
lukebowdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 17:07   #51
Dukefever
Inactive

Dukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about them

Hi all,

I have had my 2nd phone interview and I am awaiting the result before (hopefully) being invited to an assessment day. I have not got a clue how I have done but I can tell you a little about my experience

In the first interview I was asked a couple of very straight forward questions. There was nothing difficult to answer. I believe the questions are random but if you are due to have one then I would not worry. I was asked about what the company offer to customers and then a series of what 5 things would you have to consider in a number of scenarios such as health and safety when using ladders / tools and arriving at a job.

The second phone interview was completely different to what I had prepared for. I was expecting a series of questions you would expect at a face to face interview. The types of questions relating to Tell me about yourself, what are your strengths, why should we employ you, what do you know about us and where do you see yourself in 5years etc etc... It was in fact a behaviour evidence answer interview. In my case I was asked to give examples about a time when I did it..... How did you do it why did you and what was the outcome etc etc. Basically I was asked to prove my skills by explaining an example whilst maintaining structure. There is plenty of time to answer each question and as the interviewer was typing what I was saying I found that I had time to think about my next step. I had to think on my feet and although I was surprised I completed the interview and felt confident afterwards (famous last words).

This was in my case so please don't take this as what will happen if you are due a phone interview. My advice would be to be yourself, take your time and think about your answer. The interviewers are friendly and are not pushy so although its easy to say just relax.

I hope this gives an insight into what to expect without giving the impression this will definately be the case for others.

Good luck to niallharper & lukebowdler

Duke
Old 14-01-2010, 18:04   #52
lukebowdler
Inactive

cheers duke. i heard back after my second interview on monday. the interview was on the thursday prior.

where are you based?
Old 14-01-2010, 18:15   #53
Dukefever
Inactive

I have applied for West Yorkshire area how about you? How did you feel about your interview?

Was it similar to how I described my experience?

Duke
Old 14-01-2010, 18:22   #54
lukebowdler
Inactive

i live near manchester but the area i applied for was wigan.

the phone interview went ok. i felt like i had sometime paused for too long but i think i was just waiting to hear the interviewer acknowledge what i had said. all the questions were the same though. i guess it just checks that you are capable of putting a sentence togther.
Old 14-01-2010, 19:24   #55
Dukefever
Inactive

I found that by listening to the typing I could judge when to talk again. I was pleased that the interviewer never had to ask me to stop as that showed that I wasn't speaking too fast.

I wonder how many I am up against though. If you imagine all the shortlisting that must take place in order to carry out all these interviews and stages. We are basically being eliminated at each stage in order to cut the number of applicants. I am sceptical about this method of recruiting as nerves can discredit you. It is just not the same as face to face interviews where you can really judge the character.

Duke
Old 14-01-2010, 19:57   #56
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Contractors are no different. They are a business trying to survive and give their best (and what they can get away with) to their customers.

If you prove good at your job, then they will look after you. Even if involves making the tea for the first month.

In the days of apprentices (remember them), you were often asked for a tube of elbow grease from stores or a left handed hammer, upside down nails, backward screwdriver.
This in a PC world like we live in would floor us. It used to be called humour from time served men. Now it's a death sentence in terms of occupational hazards.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 20:56   #57
niallharper
Inactive

Thanks to all that have posted up to help out with what to expect from the interview tomorrow. I have my first tomorrow and am very worried! Sure i will be fine!
Old 14-01-2010, 21:16   #58
Seleroman
Inactive

Seleroman is an unknown quantity at this point

You will be fine!! 1st and 2nd phone interviews are just common sense really!! If virgin are only paying £17000 for a techy then they are not expecting someone with a degree in nuclear science!! Good luck anyway!
Seleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 21:21   #59
niallharper
Inactive

Not even 17k. Im going for a apprenticeship with them. After 18 months i become a techy and go up to 17k
Old 15-01-2010, 14:03   #60
niallharper
Inactive

Just had my interview. Don't think I did well at all!! I was told it's about 7 days till
I find out what the outcome is. How long have people had to wait?