Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Minimum Tobacco Pricing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Minimum Tobacco Pricing

Old 23-11-2017, 16:44   #16
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Minimum Tobacco Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Mid to late 80's . Parascending was the first target, then other "extreme" sports including mountain biking, motocross, etc. "Mainline" sports such as rugby, football, tennis, etc., were not included at that time, but players were warned that being unfit for duty as a result of sport could cause them problems.
In other words sports not supported and classed as "extra curricular". therefore "At your own risk".
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2017, 17:54   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Possibly because "hardened smokers" don't buy from shops any more due to the price. This benefits organised crime in China, Russia etc.

Price goes up, less duty raised no decrease in the number of smokers. Good strategy by ASH and the anti smoking lobbying.
True, most smokers that I know now use the black market because of the cost. ISTR reading somewhere that about 50% of smokers now do this.

My opinion on smoking is that, as long as adults are fully aware of the health risks and other people aren't affected, they have a right to do so.

I argued against a unilateral smoking ban in pubs. Smoking rooms with a warning on the door or smoking & smoke free pubs at the discretion of the licence holder would have been a better idea.

Also, I believe that other taxpayers shouldn't bear the cost of others smoking and they don't. Only about 20% of taxation on tabacco is needed to compensate the NHS, the rest is pure profit for the treasury.

If everyone stopped smoking tomorrow, the Government would face a financial hole in its finances and could mean an increase in income tax for the rest of us.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 20:02   #18
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
True, most smokers that I know now use the black market because of the cost. ISTR reading somewhere that about 50% of smokers now do this.

My opinion on smoking is that, as long as adults are fully aware of the health risks and other people aren't affected, they have a right to do so.

I argued against a unilateral smoking ban in pubs. Smoking rooms with a warning on the door or smoking & smoke free pubs at the discretion of the licence holder would have been a better idea.

Also, I believe that other taxpayers shouldn't bear the cost of others smoking and they don't. Only about 20% of taxation on tabacco is needed to compensate the NHS, the rest is pure profit for the treasury.

If everyone stopped smoking tomorrow, the Government would face a financial hole in its finances and could mean an increase in income tax for the rest of us.
BLOODY HELL Richard! I never thought this day would ever come. I actually agree with you 100%!
Old 23-11-2017, 20:43   #19
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I doubt very much that "50% of smokers" use the black market. Maybe in an anecdotal bubble.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 20:49   #20
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I doubt very much that "50% of smokers" use the black market. Maybe in an anecdotal bubble.
More like a few per cent l would say now.
Old 23-11-2017, 20:50   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Perhaps but it is a sizeable percentage, then again anecdotally I travel far and wide throughout the country and the black market exists and is thriving. As the government increase prices so does the black market.
Old 23-11-2017, 20:58   #22
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

June 2017 Link

Quote:
Code-named Operation Henry II, it resulted in the seizure of 2.9 million cigarettes and 1,272kg of tobacco worth £919,000.
A total of 409 premises were targeted, mainly small food outlets with alcohol licences, with illegal tobacco found in 172 of them – that’s 42%. More than half of them were previous offenders.
Around £2.1billion is lost in tax to the illegal tobacco trade each year.
Apparently counterfeit and contraband consumption was 16% just 2 years ago.

IMO licensing of sales of alcohol and tobacco should be linked. Transgress on one and you lose the license to sell the other.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 20:59   #23
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Perhaps but it is a sizeable percentage, then again anecdotally I travel far and wide throughout the country and the black market exists and is thriving. As the government increase prices so does the black market.
I'm not sure how you travelling "far and wide" backs it up.

Of course more and more people will look to other means as prices rise but saying things like 50% of the country use the black market for fags is nonsense.
Old 24-11-2017, 00:09   #24
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

My wife and I don't smoke shop bought cigs anymore, but if we did we would definitely be looking at the cheaper black market stuff.

We now both roll our own, and although it took some getting used to it's much cheaper than anything else out there.

And I'd estimate that 50% of smokers buying from the black market is a pretty close ball park figure. Trying to force a stop on something like this simply drives it underground.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 00:48   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
I'm not sure how you travelling "far and wide" backs it up.

Of course more and more people will look to other means as prices rise but saying things like 50% of the country use the black market for fags is nonsense.
As a smoker myself I think I have a little more knowledge about black market tobacco products than a non-smoker.

Also worthy of note, I never mentioned Fags or 50%.
Old 24-11-2017, 01:28   #26
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Quote:
As a smoker myself I think I have a little more knowledge about black market tobacco products than a non-smoker.
A little more knowledge than who? I myself was a smoker for 20+ years until a couple of years ago, does that also give me some magical insight into the buying habits of a 66 million population country?

Quote:
Also worthy of note, I never mentioned Fags or 50%.
No but you quoted my answer to someone that did.
Old 24-11-2017, 11:43   #27
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Well I do for starters, I have a friend who travels to Europe most weeks in a large lorry.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 13:07   #28
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Well I do for starters, I have a friend who travels to Europe most weeks in a large lorry.
Wow!

Tax evasion...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 13:14   #29
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Likewise and if away in another part of the country I can always find a source.

As I'm not a nonsmoker what do I know.

As a smoker I do know that the black market tobacco is readily available anywhere I go.

Ex smokers quite often come across worse than born again Christians! They know everything!
Old 24-11-2017, 13:28   #30
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Likewise and if away in another part of the country I can always find a source.

As I'm not a nonsmoker what do I know.

As a smoker I do know that the black market tobacco is readily available anywhere I go.

Ex smokers quite often come across worse than born again Christians! They know everything!
Well you are alright with me then as l had one try behind the bike shed at school and praise the lord that was quite enough for me thank you.