Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

Old 14-08-2017, 18:28   #61
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
I'm just wondering when my area will actually see any upgrades after seemingly languishing for years. there's no 300Mb yet, upload is still on 2x QAM16, the CMTS is a RiverDelta hunk of junk with the current single thread download speed issues that I and other people in the area have had to deal with since last year. Tbb places this area as bottom of the chart for VM performance now, when it used to be one of the best.
Same here, with the exception of only 12 DS, so don't feel left out
TBB placed Lisburn as one of the worst VM areas as well. Good to know this area is not alone in the "top poor performance stakes" ..... <sigh>
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2017, 19:13   #62
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Thanks for the info, Ignition. I hope it holds true.

We are still on 12 channels here due to the limits of the old CMTS.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 01:36   #63
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Ignitionnet. Don't suppose you would be able to find out when this area (Telford, specifically Telf14) are likely to go 64QAM on the upstream? No worries if not
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 12:34   #64
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Thanks for the reply Ignitionnet. Don't suppose you would be able to find out when this area (Telford, specifically Telf14) are likely to go 64QAM on the upstream? No worries if not
Sorry Jon, have to refer you to my earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
With regards to bonding 4 upstreams not a clue what the hold up is. There are plenty of areas that are perfectly capable but just haven't had the configuration rolled out and it's holding things up.
All part of the same programme to get 4 x 64QAM upstreams bonded.

If it's an issue with the network itself needing rebuilding you'll get a card through your door at some point to inform you of upcoming maintenance work.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 17:33   #65
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Over the past few weeks my 4 upstream channels went back to 3 however my downstream always remained fixed at 8.

Last night everything appeared to change. I now am back to 4 upstream channels and now 20 channels, which is a little surprising as I always thought the plan was to go to 24. Any ideas on why the odd number?
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 17:46   #66
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Yes. 24 is the maximum capability of the platform, not a minimum. No reason to spend the money on deploying 24 straight away if 16 or 20 will suffice for now.
Old 16-08-2017, 17:52   #67
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

What exactly is the upstream channel situation in Bath? Will 4 channels ever be here?
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 17:58   #68
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Yes. 24 is the maximum capability of the platform, not a minimum. No reason to spend the money on deploying 24 straight away if 16 or 20 will suffice for now.
Thanks for the quick reply. I admit I always thought they would go straight to 24. That said, seeing the increase to 20 is a welcome sight, although with the Puma 6 modems I'm worried about the likely increase in latency this will bring.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 18:35   #69
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I admit I always thought they would go straight to 24. That said, seeing the increase to 20 is a welcome sight, although with the Puma 6 modems I'm worried about the likely increase in latency this will bring.
For additional downstream frequencies, a license has to be purchased from
The CMTS provider. So makes no sense financially to run at full capacity unless necessary.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 22:08   #70
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
The CMTS provider. So makes no sense financially to run at full capacity unless necessary.
That's an important pointer to the remedies in VM's capacity management toolkit.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 22:34   #71
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Exactly. VM pay for every downstream channel they turn up. With that in mind running with the fewest feasible downstreams is a good call.

The node my property is connected to, for example, only has about a hundred premises on it right now as the build is incomplete, so runs on 16 channels. I will play my part in triggering an upgrade by subscribing to the business 'Voom' 350/20 service, waiting on the next business service to come along.

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's an important pointer to the remedies in VM's capacity management toolkit.
Same for every other provider realistically.

When 24 downstream channels are inadequate for an area they will either have to split the node, which they may do via a remote PHY solution, or deliver DOCSIS 3.1 to offload heavy users from the 3.0 platform.
Old 17-08-2017, 14:48   #72
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Isn't the idea of DOCSIS3.1 that instead of (say) 24 "large" channels, you have lots and lots of smaller channels to make better use of the available spectrum?

I wonder how that affects licensing.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:56   #73
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Isn't the idea of DOCSIS3.1 that instead of (say) 24 "large" channels, you have lots and lots of smaller channels to make better use of the available spectrum?

I wonder how that affects licensing.
On the Cisco kit at least you pay by 3.1 spectrum in use and maximum modulation:

Code:
Router# show controller integrated-cable 3/0/0 rf-port 158 verbose
Chan State Admin Mod-Type Start Width PLC Profile-ID dcid power
output
Frequency
158 UP UP OFDM 627000000 96000000 663000000 30 159 32
NORMAL
Resource status: OK
License: granted <17:02:35 EDT May 18 2016>
OFDM channel license spectrum width: 92200000
OFDM modulation license (spectrum width): 2K (6000000)
Old 17-08-2017, 15:02   #74
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That makes a lot more sense!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 15:08   #75
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
That makes a lot more sense!
Indeedy.

It's all done this way as we're not that far away from not needing physical CMTS at all, all done in software, so need the ability to charge MSOs without having physical line cards for them to pay for.

Nice explanation of this at http://www.gainspeed.com/our-solutio...-architecture/