Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Youview

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Youview

Old 11-08-2013, 11:43   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Question Youview

Hey, everyone,

Has anyone here got a youview box? If so what do they think of it. We currently have Sky, but are thinking of changing, and my parents want to change to either TalkTalk or BT of the TV. However neither of them are able to do multiroom, so I would have to buy a box outright, which I plan to do anyway.

Also with the talk talk, do you have to have their broadband and TV package for the TV to work, or can we use the TV with our BT Infinity connection?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 13:07   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Youview

I've got a YouView box bought as a standalone , its pretty good on the whole. The Talk Talk standard box is made by Huawei and many reports in the forums have suggested its pretty good on the whole however its worth noting it only has a 320gb HDD when compared to BT's Humax box which is 500gb. To receive Talk Talk channels you need Talk Talk BB with a speed of at least 5mb fibre is probably a better solution , to receive BT's extra channels you need BT Infinity.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:59   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

It's also worth noting that YouView boxes can currently only record the DTT channels. Recording of channels off of broadband is due to be enabled by a software update sometime later this year. TalkTalk do not sell & support multiroom yet. However, you can connect & register a second YouView box with the service & it will work, providing you have sufficient download speed.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:19   #4
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

BT don't do multiroom either, my dad discussed this with them 2 years ago. It's two years later and it's still being looked into
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:25   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I have a BT Youview box.

I only have had it two weeks, I find it ok but the EPG is a little slower than the sky+ HD box I had.

The on demand stuff is ok (as long as you have a decent connection speed) but it only has 4HD channels (not that those bother me).
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 19:53   #6
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Just an update as I've had it a fair while now.

Although it's ok - it is not all that reliable and I find myself rebooting it at least once a week / fortnight.

It is still a touch slower than my sky box was and my dad's TiVo.

But on the whole it's ok and I'm happy with it.

Also, although I thought I would, I'm not missing the channels I had while I was with sky.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote