Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 13:29   #91
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
3D is a nearly dead duck imo....
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its very much a niche product for the few diehards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
How often do people upgrade their sets. Maybe every six years? I've not been interested in 3D because my old set could not do 3D. My new Sony W9 can and it's amazing. Much better than the cinema as well. Everyone who has seen it has been impressed. I think it's more a case of the industry expected it to move alot quicker than it has but people don't have alot of money to throw around and TV's are not a priority in hard times.
If you watch a blu-ray 3D film on a compatible TV it is stunning.
Unfortunately the movies on TV are only at 720p, which degrades the experience.
Until the TV companies can transmit in a higher resolution, I'm afraid that we won't see too much 3D coming soon (see how I stayed on topic)
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2013, 13:33   #92
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

It won't come anytime soon with the BBC abandoning it after this year....
Old 07-08-2013, 13:44   #93
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocav View Post
Yes but as I pointed out, Atlantic hasn't got a massive hype anymore, most of the recent subscriptions will be for people wanting BT Sport. Let's be honest if you really wanted Atlantic you would have gone by now.

I'm sure the extra £18 million (based on my calculations) plus the addition ad revenue they can draw in through higher reach is worth it, there are no additional costs involved by adding to virgin as virgin take the sat stream and do all the work for them, basically it's a free £18 million.
To be fair the £18 million figure is pure guesswork , none of us know whats going on behind the scenes with negotiations , as I've said I believe its as much about keeping customers as attracting new ones , if you keep customers you have the ability to upsell something VM themselves have been excellent at with TIVO and faster BB speeds.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:46   #94
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
It won't come anytime soon with the BBC abandoning it after this year....
To be fair, the BBC are cash-strapped at the moment, don't forget they were considering the closure of some of their channels recently and they have cut back on their already meagre funding for BBC 4.

I think it is up to the likes of Sky with their big pockets to promote 3D and make it a success. Very few can afford 3D TV at present, but the price of these TVs is coming down rapidly, so we could see more interest over the next few years.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:53   #95
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
To be fair the £18 million figure is pure guesswork , none of us know whats going on behind the scenes with negotiations , as I've said I believe its as much about keeping customers as attracting new ones , if you keep customers you have the ability to upsell something VM themselves have been excellent at with TIVO and faster BB speeds.
I have to agree.

Behind the scenes SKY have been conducting feedback sessions on how much value SKY customers put on SKY Atlantic. You may have seen it yourself or even participated on that SKY site we are both members of.

Plenty of feedback suggesting it's SKY Atlantic programming that keeps current customers with SKY. Plenty more feedback suggesting SKY customers would consider moving provider should SKY Atlantic be made available on other platforms.

You know and I know, from other things we've participated in for reasearch purposes on behalf of SKY, that they take feedback from existing customers very seriously. For this reason alone I have doubts SKY Atlantic will ever become available on other platforms.
Old 07-08-2013, 14:01   #96
mollda
Inactive

Services: VIP, going to the dark side with BT/SKY (20th Aug)
mollda is an unknown quantity at this point

Having given my 30 days notice to leave virgin, got a call from someone at Virgin on a 0800 number, seeing what they could do to keep me to stay. Listened to what that had to say, and all they could offer was to reduce my services in order to reduce my bill. They would not offer any discount to my current bill. Told them very politely no thanks. Deal with Sky/BT much cheaper, plus also BT Sports and Sky Atlantic. She did say that they were still in discussions with BT and was hopeful they would have it by the end of the month. No guarantees though. Also mentioned there is nothing further on SKY Atlantic and no deal was close.
Old 07-08-2013, 14:07   #97
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

I don't think VM will be getting Sky Atlantic, BT sports probably in time...
Old 07-08-2013, 14:12   #98
ocav
Inactive

ocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
To be fair, the BBC are cash-strapped at the moment, don't forget they were considering the closure of some of their channels recently and they have cut back on their already meagre funding for BBC 4.

I think it is up to the likes of Sky with their big pockets to promote 3D and make it a success. Very few can afford 3D TV at present, but the price of these TVs is coming down rapidly, so we could see more interest over the next few years.
Closure of what channels? They are launching them? With all channels (except parliament) going HD by early next year!

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Quote:
Don't forget what they got in return for those channels from Sky. I think the sense of the strategy may make more sense to us in due course, but of course there is nothing to stop VM from commissioning other providers to give us new exclusive channels or programming if they want to do so.

I think VM realised that Sky's tactics meant that the price of new shows, etc would escalate rapidly as the two companies sought to get all the best programmes for their own channels. VM didn't have the resources to play Sky's game and in the end there would only be one winner.
Virgin got nothing out of Sky through the sale of their stake in UKTV.
Old 07-08-2013, 14:18   #99
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Unfortunately the movies on TV are only at 720p, which degrades the experience.
1080i, actually.
Old 07-08-2013, 14:23   #100
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
1080i, actually.
Yep, roll on 1080p
Old 07-08-2013, 14:25   #101
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I have to agree.

Behind the scenes SKY have been conducting feedback sessions on how much value SKY customers put on SKY Atlantic. You may have seen it yourself or even participated on that SKY site we are both members of.

Plenty of feedback suggesting it's SKY Atlantic programming that keeps current customers with SKY. Plenty more feedback suggesting SKY customers would consider moving provider should SKY Atlantic be made available on other platforms.

You know and I know, from other things we've participated in for reasearch purposes on behalf of SKY, that they take feedback from existing customers very seriously. For this reason alone I have doubts SKY Atlantic will ever become available on other platforms.
only thing SA will ever go on is now tv if anywhere no chance in hell that it go to VM
Old 07-08-2013, 14:36   #102
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

3D is dead in the living room, at least until we get true glasses free which is a fair way off. 4k is the new 3D.
Old 07-08-2013, 14:42   #103
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
only thing SA will ever go on is now tv if anywhere no chance in hell that it go to VM
Well we shall see Dave as never say never.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:07   #104
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well we shall see Dave as never say never.
don't hold your breath Den no way will sky want to lose customers to VM even you know that
Old 07-08-2013, 15:09   #105
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Been away for a while busy home improvements much been happening?.
Closed Thread