Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53   #76
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 4.

3D is a nearly dead duck imo....
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54   #77
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
yes I have used that argument about SA in past that they make much more money but sky don't seem bothered about that there using it to try get people to get sky and I don't think they have changed there stance on SA
Got to agree Dave.

http://cadm.sky.com/pisa/

"A basic thing to know about Sky is that the majority of our revenue comes from subscription not advertising, which means we don’t need people to watch every minute of every day - but what we do need shows that prompt people to subscribe and keep them with us once they’ve subscribed."
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56   #78
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
3D is a nearly dead duck imo....
Its very much a niche product for the few diehards.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56   #79
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocav View Post
But the people who really want Atlantic would have moved by now, the latest new Sky subs are people who are moving for BT, now Sky are going to have to be reliant on advertising revenue, but even the biggest show around at the moment (Game of Thrones) has struggled to pull in over a million every week despite the fact the channel is available to 10 million people.
Sky isn't reliant on advertising like the FTA broadcasters in fact advertising only represented around £440 million in revenue in 2013 when compared to near £6 billion in subscription revenue as Chads post points out Atlantic is equally used for retaining customers also.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05   #80
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky isn't reliant on advertising like the FTA broadcasters in fact advertising only represented around £440 million in revenue in 2013 when compared to near £6 billion in subscription revenue as Chads post points out Atlantic is equally used for retaining customers also.
That's some very interesting info, didn't realise that.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19   #81
ocav
Inactive

ocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes but as I pointed out, Atlantic hasn't got a massive hype anymore, most of the recent subscriptions will be for people wanting BT Sport. Let's be honest if you really wanted Atlantic you would have gone by now.

I'm sure the extra £18 million (based on my calculations) plus the addition ad revenue they can draw in through higher reach is worth it, there are no additional costs involved by adding to virgin as virgin take the sat stream and do all the work for them, basically it's a free £18 million.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20   #82
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I still think virgin media shot themselves in the foot by selling their share in UkTV. They weren't that valuable but at least it gave them something to bring to the table.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33   #83
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its very much a niche product for the few diehards.
How often do people upgrade their sets. Maybe every six years? I've not been interested in 3D because my old set could not do 3D. My new Sony W9 can and it's amazing. Much better than the cinema as well. Everyone who has seen it has been impressed. I think it's more a case of the industry expected it to move alot quicker than it has but people don't have alot of money to throw around and TV's are not a priority in hard times.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:35   #84
ken1234
Inactive

Services: skyhd tv ondemnd and the fall pack on tv. bt Broadband - Unlimited BT Infinity 2 .
ken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud ofken1234 has much to be proud of

here somethimg you like to know about bt and sky that if it as not been posted on here .
Sky Sports not available on BT YouView for football start off the season 2013/2014

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...son-start.html
Old 07-08-2013, 13:07   #85
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1234 View Post
here somethimg you like to know about bt and sky that if it as not been posted on here .
Sky Sports not available on BT YouView for football start off the season 2013/2014

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...son-start.html
Notice how they are running to ofcom, claiming Sky are charging too much. Aren't they doing the same to vm?

Old 07-08-2013, 13:10   #86
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

BT have bleated over all sorts of things. Tough to know what they are happy about.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:15   #87
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Notice how they are running to ofcom, claiming Sky are charging too much. Aren't they doing the same to vm?
Alas, we do not know that Top banana. You may very well be right, but personally I think it is more likely BT are holding off on signing a deal until the last minute to try and get more BB customers from VM.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:17   #88
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

The last minute has passed. The channels have already launched.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:19   #89
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I still think virgin media shot themselves in the foot by selling their share in UkTV. They weren't that valuable but at least it gave them something to bring to the table.
Totally agree,I said it when they sold them and I told the CEOs office the same.That will constantly come back and bite them in the bum
Old 07-08-2013, 13:29   #90
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
and where is your credible source saying that you don't have one do you the fact is no way will VM pay the over the top asking price sky are asking for SA and sky have never dropped price on anything unless forced to by Ofcom SA aint coming anytime soon and another reason sky don't want to make VM better value than sky which it would be if sky give SA to VM no way sky will want to lose customers to VM and remember sky think SA is a big selling point in people choosing sky other other platforms SA will only go to now tv no where else
The Broadcast website has reported that Sky and Virgin are close to an agreement and there are other sources that have led me to my conclusion. I was just trying to make the point that it has not been reported anywhere to the best of my knowledge that Sky Atlantic is not coming to VM but your assertion was stated as fact. I respect that it may be your opinion.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Quote:
Ongoing theme here. This is what I find so unprofessional about VM. it's not the not being able to get the channel saga. I understand they're trying to get us the channel on the best terms.

It's just the ongoing lies from the company about it all

"we'll have good news in a few days"
"dont do anything yet we have a break through"
"expect information by the end of the week"
"hold tight dont leave virgin yet we have an announcement soon"

Again i don't care if they thought they would have a deal soon but then it collapsed. DO NOT HINT AT ANYTHING IF THERE IS A POSSIBILITY IT MAY NOT COME TRUE. It makes you look unprofessional, amateur, desperate/panicky to keep customers and makes the whole organisation look like its run by chuckles the clown.

Thats why i'm tempted to leave VM. i know they're trying to get us a good deal but its the amateur way they're calling me every day hinting at some sort of deal which quite clearly is never coming
A lot of people are thinking that way Vince, but the reality is that VM is in negotiations with BT and cannot say any more at the moment without jeopardising their negotiating position. I think VM are quietly confident that a deal will be done, but they cannot reveal their hand at this stage.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote:
Don't forget what they got in return for those channels from Sky. I think the sense of the strategy may make more sense to us in due course, but of course there is nothing to stop VM from commissioning other providers to give us new exclusive channels or programming if they want to do so.

I think VM realised that Sky's tactics meant that the price of new shows, etc would escalate rapidly as the two companies sought to get all the best programmes for their own channels. VM didn't have the resources to play Sky's game and in the end there would only be one winner.
Closed Thread