Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box

Old 25-06-2013, 16:08   #1
bambos22
Inactive

bambos22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box

Dear all,

I have a question and problem that I would like resolved.

I have recently realigned my sky dish to 13 degrees east to get the free to air Greek channels..

In the process of realignment, I discovered my neighbour had hijacked my dish for I assume his own sky channels. In anycase, I proceeded with the realignment and left his connection in.

My own cable is connected to a technomate Tm5400 Ci reciever. Unfortunatley, I cant pick up any channels even though there is 97 % signal strength.

Could the problem relate to the fact that there are two different recievers connected to a single lnb?

Harry
bambos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2013, 16:32   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box

Dunno, but to Cable Forum

Can't help with your question I'm afraid, other than to say that if it's definitely your dish and your neighbour's connected up to it without your knowledge, I'd get back up the ladder with a pair of wire cutters sharpish. Snip snip!
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 16:39   #3
bambos22
Inactive

Thanks,

I may just do that. Id be grateful if someone could shed light on this matter..

Iv tried every single setting on my technomate and it does not work
Old 25-06-2013, 16:54   #4
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

You might have to wait until Kymmy comes in she's the expert on satellite. Though I'm pretty sure you can't run two receivers off a single lnb.
Old 25-06-2013, 17:35   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I would severely doubt that a Sky dish is large enough to receive the full range of channels available at 13 degrees east , I'm no expert but I've seen this asked many times and the answer has always been to go for at least an 80cm dish.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:38   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If it's a dual/quad output single LNB then it shouldn't matter.. If though it's a single output and then split then one box will dominate the polarization. It should still though find some of the channels??

How did you point the sat to 13E? Did you use a sat finder or just line it up hoping for the best? Also ignore the signal meter on the reciever as most of the time they are measuring gain/quality or something else entirely different, you need a sat finder to make sure that you are on the right sat..

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I would severely doubt that a Sky dish is large enough to receive the full range of channels available at 13 degrees east , I'm no expert but I've seen this asked many times and the answer has always been to go for at least an 80cm dish.
Looking at the footprint even a 50cm dish should get hotbird 13E all the way upto the top of the UK mainland

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/hb6.html
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 23:18   #7
bambos22
Inactive

Hello Kymmy,

Wow thankyou... I got someone to realign it for me with all the professional kit.. I now have the technomate working..

However, The technomate is now at my parents house... Can I use the SKY HD box instead? or should I but a new reciever?

Harry
Old 26-06-2013, 08:54   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The sky box won't be able to scan hotbird, you will though be able to use the engineers menu to enter specific channels using the engineers menu (you'll have to ask someone else as I've not had a sky box since the early analogue days) and the info found for the channels on lyngsat.
Old 26-06-2013, 10:22   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Have you heard your neighbour complaining about the loss of his Sky yet?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 20:40   #10
bambos22
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Have you heard your neighbour complaining about the loss of his Sky yet?
Believe it or not, I came home last night and my dish was realigned to SKY. My neighbour has obvioulsy contacted sky and they have been out.

Raging.. I have contacted sky and they will hopefully resolve it.
Old 29-06-2013, 20:45   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Good grief.

So your neighbour has an active Sky sub? I wonder if he had an independent cowboy in to do his installation, who thought he could save himself the cost of a dish by hijacking yours.
Old 25-07-2013, 20:52   #12
bambos22
Inactive

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the support. Had a terrible time of it but it is now all resolved.

I have an onother issue. It relates to channel loss during the terrible thunderstorms and heavy rains.

I have a 60 cm ( scottish Zone 2 ) sky dish.. I am thinking to purchase an 80cm similar mesh dish.

See below..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80cm-Dish-...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Will this improve the problems that I am having?

Harry
Old 25-07-2013, 21:03   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Yes. A larger dish aligned properley will help in rainy conditions. I use a 1.2m dish on a motor to great success on most EU SATs.
Old 25-07-2013, 21:38   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I can't help wondering what your terrible time was? Did you end up in a dispute with your neighbour over the "shared" dish?
Old 25-07-2013, 21:54   #15
bambos22
Inactive

I'll explain Chris...

Decided to realign my own dish from sky alignment to Hotbird allignement.

Original engineers were genuine crooks and did not do the realignment properly, blaming my receiever box.

Got a second opinion and was told that the dish was not aligned properly.. Got this fixed however discovered that my neighbour was feeding off my dish.

We disconnected their connection and proceeded with alignement.

In the coming days I came home and discovered my dish had been realigned back from Hotbird to sky.. I was really angry.

Ended up speaking to by neighbours who had "sky insure".. They came out and gave my neighbour a new dish and realigned my dish back...

Although I am receieving Hotbird, I am hoping to increase the signal quality to improve in poor conditions.

Do you think the dish in the above link will work better?

I live in Glasgow

Harry