Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | outside cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

outside cable

Old 15-12-2009, 12:23   #1
outsidecable
Inactive

outsidecable is an unknown quantity at this point
outside cable

hi there,
im moving bedrooms down a floor and my current aerial comes through a hole in my window and is just about long enough to reach my freeview box.
im moving down a floor and the room doesn't have an aerial lead at all.
so my thinking is to take the end off th cable pull it back through the small hole put some sort of suitable outside cable on it and then put it through my new bedroom window which is directly below.
i have absolutely no experience with cables. does this sound sort of ok? where can i buy an outside cable from?
thanks in advance!
Rachel x
outsidecable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2009, 13:27   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: outside cable

Hi Rachel and welcome to the forum.

Inside and outside cable is roughly the same thing with TV co-ax, you could a length of coax with a female plug one end and male the other to extend your cable but if you do make sure you waterproof the connection with something like amalgamated tape and it should then be fine

The coax and connectors can be bought from anywhere like Maplins or another TV/antenna shop
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 15:21   #3
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidecable View Post
hi there,
im moving bedrooms down a floor and my current aerial comes through a hole in my window and is just about long enough to reach my freeview box.
im moving down a floor and the room doesn't have an aerial lead at all.
so my thinking is to take the end off th cable pull it back through the small hole put some sort of suitable outside cable on it and then put it through my new bedroom window which is directly below.
i have absolutely no experience with cables. does this sound sort of ok? where can i buy an outside cable from?
thanks in advance!
Rachel x
If you do as you've suggested and pull out the old cable, you should be left with more slack than before because your going down a floor, therefore no need to buy any cable.

Just undo the end, pull it through, drill a fresh hole if necessary, push through the new hole, stick the end back on it and hay presto.

Just be sure not to let any of the inner and outer cores touch each other, as this will result in poor or no picture quality
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 17:17   #4
outsidecable
Inactive

outsidecable is an unknown quantity at this point

perfect- you have completely answered my question!
thankyou x
outsidecable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 17:20   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Now I hope you don't take your answer and run from the forum We may be a mad and crazy bunch but we are very loveable and totally fun
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote