Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Digital Switchover (Winter Hill, Granada)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

The Digital Switchover (Winter Hill, Granada)

Old 01-12-2009, 20:35   #16
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: The Digital Switchover (Winter Hill, Granada)

I do recall seeing an advertisement on TV with built in Freeview+, I'll see if I can find it
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2009, 21:41   #17
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

The three TVs shown here each have a 160GB HDD:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/P...-with-Freeview

Not cheap mind!

And with Freeview HD about to put in an appearance tonight, I wouldn't spend too much at the moment anyhoo.

Expect Freeview HD TVs to appear about Easter 2010:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13   #18
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

All blank except 5 now!

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Analogue TV in the North West is now non existant
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23   #19
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

I just retuned our freeview box... well, ok, it's on its third retune in the last hour. The channels are sort-of appearing, but I'll give it another retune in the morning... seems some of the channels aren't where they're supposed to be and I'm too tired to fight with it right now :-p

The thing is (and it should be pointed out) some digiboxes will need to go through the retuning process more than once... why? because if you've got a box like ours (built in hdd recorder, single tuner and three years old) it's going to need the extra to ensure that the retune has stuck... my mother has a similar box to ours, but hers crashes every time she retunes so, we've told her to let it run the first time, then when it crashes, switch it off at the wall socket for five minutes and then to switch it back on and retune again.... a further retune afterwards tends to iron out the creases...
In fact, I'm expecting my mother to phone in the morning to query why all her normal tv has gone off... I expect it because I know what shes' like!

Come to think about it, I havent watched any analogue tv at home ever... it's always been digital... by one means or another... thanks largely to assuming there was no aeriel cable and there was, but it was too short to do much... I know I extended it with the coaxial from an old cheap indoor aeriel bought at tesco for £2 and we've had the sweetest picture *ever* since... our freeview box certainly appreciated it after an indoor aeriel with a booster thing on it failed spectacularly...!!

Ahh.. the joys of digital and the trouble I've gone through to get it....
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:15   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I've never had a terrestrial aerial on my own house. My first house had NTL, and I used the unsubscribed cable for analogue 1-5 for the first couple of years, before eventually subscribing to digital cable. When we moved house, we moved off-net and to an appalling terrestrial reception area on a small, low-power relay with no Freeview at all, so we subscribed to Sky. Eventually we ditched the subscription and now just use the dish for FSFS. When Sky switch off our current smart card I'm going to buy a proper Freesat+HD box.

My mum, meanwhile, miles down south in northwest England, is by now probably holding a wake for her video recorder. I must give her a call later and see if my sister's been round to re-tune the Freeview STB attached to her 20-year-old telly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17   #21
telepest
Inactive

Services: B.B. 100. TV mix. V6 box. Phone M V+ HD 1tb Tivo
telepest is on a distinguished roadtelepest is on a distinguished road

Living with the WINTER HILL transmitter in site of my house recieving Digital freeview has never been a problem even using indoor aerials,however this morning after retuning the sets in the bedrooms using said aerials i am getting severe break up and NO SIGNAL on them.and they said the signal would be STRONGER! moving the aerials has no effect!
Am now left wondering if the signal is Too STRONG for the indoor ones?????
(had no probs with the lounge set BTW)
telepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

What type of aerial are you using? Winter Hill is a massive and very powerful transmitter, if you're living right under it it could overwhelm even a very modest aerial.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42   #23
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Ehhh... did yet-another-retune this morning... too right I've got more services than before... I've got bbc Wales, ITV wales and S4C..... to name but a few.. got other duplicated channels too which means (and it's true) that I'm living right on the cusp of two transmitters... I'm thinking that some people will be just as 'WHA?!' as I was.... however, I'll do another retune later on just to be sure (all the channels function except for the Welsh-inflicted ones - bad words to use, but the only ones that make sense in this situation)
I used to be able (years ago) to watch HTV in reasonable quality and our local church only used to be able to get all the welsh channels.... so, with only being about three or four miles away now to back then, I'm not surprised I can pick up what I can...

I'm also guessing that others are picking up the Welsh transmissions over Winter Hill transmitions too and I don't know if there's a cure for that... or a workaround - I reckon there's an answer out there but we don't know it yet...
Old 02-12-2009, 12:58   #24
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_abi View Post
Ehhh... did yet-another-retune this morning... too right I've got more services than before... I've got bbc Wales, ITV wales and S4C..... to name but a few.. got other duplicated channels too which means (and it's true) that I'm living right on the cusp of two transmitters... I'm thinking that some people will be just as 'WHA?!' as I was.... however, I'll do another retune later on just to be sure (all the channels function except for the Welsh-inflicted ones - bad words to use, but the only ones that make sense in this situation)
I used to be able (years ago) to watch HTV in reasonable quality and our local church only used to be able to get all the welsh channels.... so, with only being about three or four miles away now to back then, I'm not surprised I can pick up what I can...

I'm also guessing that others are picking up the Welsh transmissions over Winter Hill transmitions too and I don't know if there's a cure for that... or a workaround - I reckon there's an answer out there but we don't know it yet...
Best thing to do is to delete all channels before doing a retune. You can avoid duplicates and unwanted channels (on my box anyway) by doing a manual retune and just tuning in to the muxes that give you the best signal quality.

There's more information here Type in your post code and tick 'I'm in the installation trade', and it will give you the available transmitters and relevant channels for your location.

Edit: also, on my box, it helps to delete the channels, then do an automatic retune with the aerial disconnected and save the results, to absolutely make sure all the old channels are gone before doing a final retune with the aerial connected.
Old 02-12-2009, 20:35   #25
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Just been up the road to sort out a near neighbour who, since last night, was only getting a few channels. He'd done an automatic scan for but, although it said there were 70-odd channels, he could only see a few of them. He rang the help line and they patiently took him thru a manual scan. Lots popped up but again he couldn't actually view them. They suggested it might be a problem with his aerial - even though he was getting 95% signal.

What I did was a 'restore defaults' which put the box back to square one. It then asked a few questions about the setup and then did another automatic scan. Bingo! All is fine and dandy now.

The box was a Setanta / Metronic one if anyone has the same.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 20:52   #26
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

At last! i have no more welsh channels
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20   #27
squirrel1970
Inactive

How odd... I did a full factory defaults reset and... I'm getting oddly named channels - and the welsh channels are appearing one minute and not the next on each retune...
I'm seeing things such as 'Service 1a80', 'Service 1ac0' and other strange similarly titled channels listed... I may have to go through it again in the morning and I know that tomorrow night, whilst having my hands shredded by my mothers much maligned moggy, I'll have to reset her digibox too as it's identical to ours and I just hope that the blood that will pour from my hands onto the remote won't affect it too much...
Old 08-12-2009, 23:47   #28
squirrel1970
Inactive

And so it goes... the aeriel on top of the tower block where my mother lives has either died or is currently being upgraded.... don't know which, but my mother is swearing this wouldn't happen if it was the old analogue way - er.. yes it would!!
Her friend is on cable, so she's taken root there until its all fixed...
And she's got it into her head to retune every fourth of the month too - which is good...
It might upset the cat a bit as she tends to sit on top of the digibox....
Old 08-12-2009, 23:59   #29
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I don't supose it could just be the digibox failing due to it being overheated as a result of the cat sitting on it?
Old 18-12-2009, 21:02   #30
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

I've also got the Welsh BBC1,2 ITV 1 & Welsh C4 at the top of my freeview guide list now.

BBC1 & 2 North West are down at numbers 801 & 802. They were working fine until another update last night. Now the two BBC North West channels are totally screwed, massive pixcellation.

The annoying thing is I can see the Winter Hill transmitter from my window, looks very pretty at night with all the red lights on it.

Thankfully the two V+ boxes are working fine, must be a real PITA for Freeview only peeps round here.

Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote