Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with new council connection?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with new council connection?

Old 28-03-2013, 19:46   #1
MrTank
Inactive

MrTank is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help with new council connection?

Hi All,

I'm trying to help my mum sort out her TV but since she's no longer with Virgin trying to get FreeView working is proving a pain.

The problem is because at one end of the house is there this and the VirginMedia connection.

But the TV is all the way at the other end. I complained that they installed it on the wrong end but like most councils, they don't really care.

So I was wondering who could help me here. There is a Coaxial from the old virgin connection that leads all the way though the flat to the other end, so I was wondering if this could be converted into an RF connection to use the new TV socket to wire a freeview box at the other end?

Thanks in advance guys.
MrTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2013, 19:51   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Help with new council connection?

You can certainly make use of the coaxial cable (though technically you shouldn't, IIRC it still belongs to VM). You will need to chop off the f-connectors and replace them with the type you usually use with a terrestrial aerial.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 20:26   #3
MrTank
Inactive

Amazing, thats what I was wondering, if you could use a Coax for an RF signal. Is it pretty straight forward to do?
Old 28-03-2013, 21:40   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The coax that VM uses is essentially the same as the coax you would buy for wiring up a terrestrial aerial, except it is of a far higher quality than you need for terrestrial. The only real difference in the set up is that the connectors on either end of the cable are f-type connectors, which screw onto the wall plate and into the set top box. Satellite and cable both use these. For terrestrial you need Just the standard coax plug that you push into the wall plate or into the back of a TV or Freeview box.

The f-type plugs on the existing cable may be crimped in place so you would have to cut them off in order to replace them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 21:55   #5
tizmeinnit

you do not need to cut the wire you just buy screw in ends off ebay for pence

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-F-type...item23243bb7dd
Old 28-03-2013, 22:10   #6
MrTank
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
you do not need to cut the wire you just buy screw in ends off ebay for pence

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-F-type...item23243bb7dd
Amazing! have just ordered these.
Old 28-03-2013, 22:12   #7
tizmeinnit

Glad to help [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

actually I am sorry I pointed you to the wrong ones but luckily the same guy does these just mail him and ask him to send these instead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-F-type-...item27cee9e673