Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SM4 area very poor performance

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SM4 area very poor performance

Old 15-03-2012, 21:56   #31
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: SM4 area very poor performance

here it is:-

Ironically yesterday evening was fine too, so I am still unsure if they have made any true difference. As they made the change at 9:15 I need to give it a few days I suspect

Understood re bonded d/s but when I was testing when it was poor I was getting something like 1.5 Mb/s down and 5.3 Mb/s up, yet they still focus on the upstream....
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2012, 22:54   #32
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Doesn't look like any big change happened at 9:15, that's for sure.

Thing with the download is as it's bonded, everyone's already load-balanced across all available channels (probably). Hence they can't really do anything about downstream congestion short of installing new equipment (costly, long lead times). Upstream is easier as they can just shift people about.

Ignition would know better, but one of the mods ****ed him off and he's left the forum again

By the way, I recently had a graph that looked like yours, and had similar symptoms - but it turns out it could have been upstream congestion all along. Despite getting pathetic download speeds (5-10mbps) and full upload speeds, as soon as they doubled the upload capacity my download speeds shot up to the full 50mbps. Can't really explain it. Something to do with ACK suppression is my guess.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 23:10   #33
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

This is the graph I was sent:-

It shows a change to US 1 at 9:15, in that the number of users on it have dropped. I guess I might be still on it just that they moved others off to somewhere else.

Certainly things are fine tonight, but they weren't bad last night either, before this change.

Yikes Igni has gone from here - what a loss!
Old 15-03-2012, 23:13   #34
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

ChartDirector (unregistered)??? Lol.

I really need to study on DOCSIS/HFC network architecture before I can say more. You did have a fairly low jitter last night (as I say, just <10ms).

There's a test somewhere that measures upstream and downstream jitter independently so you can tell which direction the congestion is in... I'll post it if I can dig it out. Like I say, even if it *looks* like downstream congestion - maybe it is - it sometimes isn't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 23:22   #35
ccarmock
cf.geek

This area has *just* had the upstream bandwidth upgraded and 100 Mb/s released here. Also soon to be speed doubled, so this coudl all get worse again!

At the moment there are still 4 downstreams and one upstream.

Sadly the business services are not being speed doubled.