Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channel 5 On demand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

VOD Question

Old 04-08-2006, 10:24   #1
neoapple
Inactive

Services: 10MB BB, Family Pack TV
neoapple is on a distinguished roadneoapple is on a distinguished road
VOD Question

Im in bromley and just got VOD.

But im currently confused.... I would of thought there would be more VOD programs.... Like those from skyone etc. But anyway here is my quick question

If the program is free and i click it and it says you can watch this unlimited for 1 day, does that mean i can only watch that free program for one day and then its gone from my list or because its free can i watch it say today then tommorow?

Please tell me NTL will start adding more VOD channels based on user subscription. As i want to watch some programs on sky1 and SCI-FI etc
neoapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: VOD Question

TBH, I would be staggered if we see any VOD content from any of the Sky Channels. They provide the minimum they can get away with to non-sky subscribers.

I mean look at all the Interactive stuff they have on Sky one, Sky Sports etc. There is no technical reason why they cannot provide Interactive on NTL/Telewest, but they don't.

As for other channels, well, I suspect it's just a case of waiting for NTL and the TV Companies to sort out VOD rights for the programmes. Yes, VOD and on line broadcasting rights are considered to be seperate to the right to show the programme.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58   #3
neoapple
Inactive

Services: 10MB BB, Family Pack TV
neoapple is on a distinguished roadneoapple is on a distinguished road

well that sucks.... As i like to watch stargate etc..... cries....

Anyway if the programs free i take it i can watch it over and over again even when i viewed it once before?
neoapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:14   #4
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Services: NTL Full DTV package NTL TU24 NTL 10mb Broadband
Sunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoapple
well that sucks.... As i like to watch stargate etc..... cries....

Anyway if the programs free i take it i can watch it over and over again even when i viewed it once before?
Yes you can, at least until they remove it to make room for other programmes.
Sunglasses Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:31   #5
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

just got VOD as well.. also in Bromley only thing we need to get is a guide as to what will be on VOD in the next few days.. otherwise you still have to program the video only to find that it will be on VOD later in better quality
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:49   #6
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Sunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the roughSunglasses Ron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
just got VOD as well.. also in Bromley only thing we need to get is a guide as to what will be on VOD in the next few days.. otherwise you still have to program the video only to find that it will be on VOD later in better quality
It's generally very much hit and miss, although you will get used to it.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:06   #7
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglasses Ron
It's generally very much hit and miss, although you will get used to it.
this is where NTL and Telewest need to sort themselves out abit more.. we can't have a slap dash approach where something might be on there and might not. we need to know in advance otherwise the system is abit useless.. it might have what i want in broadcast quality or i might have to tape it and get it in reduced quality

we should be able to see what is coming up in the next few days so we can use the service properly
Old 04-08-2006, 12:19   #8
Sunglasses Ron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
this is where NTL and Telewest need to sort themselves out abit more.. we can't have a slap dash approach where something might be on there and might not. we need to know in advance otherwise the system is abit useless.. it might have what i want in broadcast quality or i might have to tape it and get it in reduced quality

we should be able to see what is coming up in the next few days so we can use the service properly
I agree, the amount of times I have told my missus not to bother recording something because it will be on VOD has been disappointing.
Old 08-08-2006, 21:44   #9
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Just wiat until you rely upn the vod and then all of a sudden the program you have missed does not appear.

It happens, It is ntl, you get used to it eventually.
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 21:55   #10
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

The solution to this is simple:

1) Pretend you don't have the VOD service.
2) Set the video as normal
3) Enjoy the fact that your set top box will only crash as often as it used to, rather than twice as often.

NB - For added nostalgia, try flicking through the channels at twice the speed you usually do, this will remind you of how the mini guide USED to work!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:59   #11
sherer
Inactive

must say i was surprised last night.. went out and taped eastenders ( sad I know ) but was back by 10 and managed to catch it on VOD in better qaulity

is there any way we can all contact NTL and suggest they post a list of what is going to be on there in the next few days otherwise the service needs some work done on it

i think the think is that NTL are using this to sell series' etc i.e watch a few of lost free and then buy the rest the free stuff and pick of the week is just an added bonus
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19   #12
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

you could use responsetek on the CF homepage to make such a suggestion to ntl.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40   #13
sherer
Inactive

cheers for that have sent some feedback.. maybe if we all did that they might have a coming soon page or something