Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power risk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power risk

Old 13-03-2012, 17:23   #31
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power r

To be honest nuclear power is expensive and is a huge liability

We need to have more renewable energy
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 17:26   #32
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
To be honest nuclear power is expensive and is a huge liability
I'm not being funny Alan, but you have just lost all my credibility in this debate by agreeing with me. Nobody will believe me now.

Please start arguing with me so that I can get my credibility back
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:40   #33
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I'm not being funny Alan, but you have just lost all my credibility in this debate by agreeing with me. Nobody will believe me now.

Please start arguing with me so that I can get my credibility back
I don't normally say this, but I agree with you, Nuclear power, while a eco-friendly source, is expensive, dangerous and you have to reposibvle for it for 1,000 years.

Hence why I do not see why why is worth the risk

The government could be the money to build more wind farms etc
Old 13-03-2012, 17:48   #34
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
I don't normally say this, but I agree with you, Nuclear power, while a eco-friendly source, is expensive, dangerous and you have to reposibvle for it for 1,000 years.

Not sure i've ever heard nuclear power being described as "eco friendly" Alan
Old 13-03-2012, 17:49   #35
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Not sure i've ever heard nuclear power being described as "eco friendly" Alan
They do not give out much Co2
Old 13-03-2012, 17:58   #36
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
They do not give out much Co2
Over to you Tim ,i'll let you handle that one ,after all he's agreeing with you
Old 13-03-2012, 18:08   #37
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Have you ever lived on the top of a hill in the middle of the Pennines? It's not very often that there is no wind. And the same goes for off shore.

Wind power isn't the only alternative.

In my town there used to be a remote controlled gas turbine generator, that was only used when it was really needed.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

And then kill the sea life with radiation.

The Irish sea is the most radioactive sea in the world thanks to Sellafield.
IIRC too much wind is also a problem for these turbines - they only work in a certain range of conditions.

As for the Irish sea, you are talking about very old technology there and things have moved on a tad since Windscale was built. Of course there are risks associated with the nuclear option but there are benefits too. Sadly, for the reasons I mentioned before, I don't think we're in much of a position to choose now.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:33   #38
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Radiation is not eco friendly

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Over to you Tim ,i'll let you handle that one ,after all he's agreeing with you
I don't know if I can handle him agreeing with me
Old 13-03-2012, 19:36   #39
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Radiation is not eco friendly

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

I don't know if I can handle him agreeing with me
Well you know what he suggests for those who disagree with his 'master plan' don't you....
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:37   #40
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well you know what he suggests for those who disagree with his 'master plan' don't you....
You mean most of the world's population?
Old 13-03-2012, 22:35   #41
RizzyKing

We would all love it if all our energy needs could come from renewable energy sources but the truth is that technology is nowhere near effective or mature enough yet. It's a sad fact that for too long in the UK we have neglected longterm planning for our energy needs and now find ourselves near the edge.

I would prefer an alternative to nuclear but right now we don't have one. My way of looking at it is in the shortterm we need nuclear but must use the breathing space that will give us to further develop and refine the alternatives to the point we're the world leaders in it and can base a portion of our economy on high tech well paid manufacturing in the future.

Sometimes we have to make do in order to progress thats where i see us at the minute.
Old 13-03-2012, 23:01   #42
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
We would all love it if all our energy needs could come from renewable energy sources but the truth is that technology is nowhere near effective or mature enough yet. It's a sad fact that for too long in the UK we have neglected longterm planning for our energy needs and now find ourselves near the edge.

I would prefer an alternative to nuclear but right now we don't have one. My way of looking at it is in the shortterm we need nuclear but must use the breathing space that will give us to further develop and refine the alternatives to the point we're the world leaders in it and can base a portion of our economy on high tech well paid manufacturing in the future.

Sometimes we have to make do in order to progress thats where i see us at the minute.
Unfortunately nuclear power is never short term, as the waste is still highly radioactive for 1000 years. Now that is very long term
Old 13-03-2012, 23:04   #43
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It doesn't matter one little bit, what marvellous advances are made in wind and solar technology. The unreliable and intermittent nature of the source energy means that you will ALWAYS have to have enough conventional generating capacity as if the wind and solar systems were not there in the first place.

The only possible ways they could contribute is if the energy could be stored(unlikely), or if there was a 2nd national grid system feeding back into the power stations, and using it to pre-heat the water that is turned into steam to drive turbines. That would allow the smoothing out of the intermittent nature of the renewable energy.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 09:54   #44
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Radiation is not eco friendly[COLOR="Silver"]
I meant that Nulclear emits no carbon, but that still not enough for the risks involved

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post

We have a huge amount of renewable rsources that are not exploited in the UK, Nuclear is expensive and is a huge liablity for a very long time

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It doesn't matter one little bit, what marvellous advances are made in wind and solar technology. The unreliable and intermittent nature of the source energy means that you will ALWAYS have to have enough conventional generating capacity as if the wind and solar systems were not there in the first place.

The only possible ways they could contribute is if the energy could be stored(unlikely), or if there was a 2nd national grid system feeding back into the power stations, and using it to pre-heat the water that is turned into steam to drive turbines. That would allow the smoothing out of the intermittent nature of the renewable energy.
Or we could build more biomass power stations?
Old 14-03-2012, 13:04   #45
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Geothermal power is being used in some countries. And it is said to be viable in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_energy