Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Internet Access and VM can't help :-(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

No Internet Access and VM can't help :-(

Old 12-04-2011, 10:15   #1
mactagg
Inactive

mactagg is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy No Internet Access and VM can't help :-(

Hello,

I spent hours on the phone to VM yesterday and am going out of my mind - each foreign person I spoke to made me go through the same half hour steps of turning on/off/resetting etc!! In the end they transferred to me to IT people that could log into my PC but i would have to pay them (seriously?), anyway by that point my phone battery died (landline, THATS how long i was on the phone!), so i thought id ask you friendly people for some advice...

Please note that i am a total newbie!

Okay internet died last Sunday and went through all the superhub checking steps but nothing worked so they sent me a new hub. Tried that yesterday and its still not working.

Errors coming up as troubleshooted by laptop (windows 7) and brand new Vaio and as discovered by VM as we went through various processes:

- router/connection/accesspoints problems (however router seems to be working fine from VM end and lights etc on and can be seen on my list of avail wireless connections)
- default gateway is unavailable - I can't even connect to the 192.168..... address so am not getting anything through atall
- wireless adapter - checked this and my laptop says all the drivers are up to date

I've tried it with an ethernet and that doesn't work.

I've tried connecting my old laptop to the hub and that doesn't work

Basically my laptop says the network or the internet is unavailable on the ipv4 address (have no idea what this means but VM were mainly interested in this ipv4 thing!) but still comes up with unidentified network rather than the SSID it actually is.

Any advice much appreciated, VM basically gave up and told me to go away :-( If you have any tips that i could do so that i can try them tonight when i go home and get back to you tomorrow that would be fab.

Am getting the shakes from lack of internet, plus the fact I'm paying through the teeth for highspeed net that im not getting....

mactagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21   #2
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: No Internet Access and VM can't help :-(

open a command prompt, and type this.

ipconfig /all, paste it all here the output.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 13:02   #3
Pog66
Inactive

Services: SKY HD+, BT BB
Pog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant future

BY trying Ethernet I assume you have tried connecting wired to the hub to rule out any issue with Wireless?

Also, when connected via Ethernet can you get to 192.168.100.1?
Pog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 15:08   #4
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

do a reset, there is a pin reset button on the side of the superhub
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 16:01   #5
mactagg
Inactive

mactagg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Just to say that I've solved the problem!!

(Yes, i had tried an ethernet cable as well and that didnt work either, and i tried the pin reset button on the hub a million times but no luck!)

Turns out it was to do with McAfee Security?! I googled my problem and someone else had had the same issue and suggested doing the following:
Run > "msconfig" > Services. Disable the mcafee network agent and the mcafee firewall core service.

I did this - and hey presto!

It does mean that I don't have a firewall anymore though so not sure how to get the firewall back up AND keep internet access....

Thanks everyone :-)
mactagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 17:36   #6
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactagg View Post
Hi Guys

Just to say that I've solved the problem!!

(Yes, i had tried an ethernet cable as well and that didnt work either, and i tried the pin reset button on the hub a million times but no luck!)

Turns out it was to do with McAfee Security?! I googled my problem and someone else had had the same issue and suggested doing the following:
Run > "msconfig" > Services. Disable the mcafee network agent and the mcafee firewall core service.

I did this - and hey presto!

It does mean that I don't have a firewall anymore though so not sure how to get the firewall back up AND keep internet access....

Thanks everyone :-)
Well done!

Just make sure that your Windows firewall is active. You don't need more than one firewall! There is also a firewall in the Superhub but most people seem to be switching it off.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 18:02   #7
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

^Because it causes problems :P
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 18:19   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Even with the superdud's spi firewall off you still sit behind NAT. So long as you are not worried about outbound security you are quite safe.

As for McAfee, do yourself a favour and dump it. There's plenty of free alternatives that work as well or better.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 18:38   #9
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
As for McAfee, do yourself a favour and dump it. There's plenty of free alternatives that work as well or better.
To add to Mick's point, I'd suggest Windows Firewall + Microsoft Security Essentials. If you need a malware scanner, Malwarebytes Anti-malware is great.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:55   #10
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Good news to hear you sorted it and I guess good news that VM did the right thing by advising you to speak to the home support guys .. they could have sorted it for you, it wasn't a VM issue ..

Although the VM agents should of checked for security software ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 20:27   #11
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Even with the superdud's spi firewall off you still sit behind NAT. So long as you are not worried about outbound security you are quite safe.
You shouldn't assume this. In particular, as VM don't support IPv6, your desktop will try to connect to IPv6 sites via a Teredo tunnel, which will be completely open to the Internet without a software firewall.
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:25   #12
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

I don't think that's true, VM need to support IPV6 tunnelling to convert the IPV6 to IPv4 and route to the correct location - which we don't (as far as I am aware).
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 22:09   #13
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by foddy View Post
You shouldn't assume this. In particular, as VM don't support IPv6, your desktop will try to connect to IPv6 sites via a Teredo tunnel, which will be completely open to the Internet without a software firewall.
As it happens I do use software firewalls and promote their use if asked,
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:01   #14
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
I don't think that's true, VM need to support IPV6 tunnelling to convert the IPV6 to IPv4 and route to the correct location - which we don't (as far as I am aware).
Teredo is designed to work without ISP support, it encapsulates IPv6 in IPv4 datagrams. Take a look at the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

If you don't have a software firewall, it's something to be concerned about.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:
As it happens I do use software firewalls and promote their use if asked,
That's good, but you didn't in your post above! You seemed to imply that NAT was enough protection (which it may not be, even without Teredo). If I misunderstood, then my apologies.
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:12   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by foddy View Post
Get a life! Total rubbish!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote