Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 23-08-2014, 18:03   #4951
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Premier Sports does seem very overpriced for what you get. Do not have a lot of top level sport.

I like NHL and would watch some GAA. Some South American football and Belgian football would be for true football addicts. Hardly compares with BT and Skys football.

Aussie Rugby League ? not my thing and is a bit of a niche market.

When you think BT/ESPN other 3 channels and in HD for not a whole lot more (for Sky payers) you do wonder how many people actually subscribe to PS across all platforms. Even with NHL and even if they had it in HD i would not pay £10pm.

They need to dramatically reduce the retail price or reduce their price to get Virgin to include the channel in XL
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2014, 18:42   #4952
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
Premier Sports does seem very overpriced for what you get. Do not have a lot of top level sport.

I like NHL and would watch some GAA. Some South American football and Belgian football would be for true football addicts. Hardly compares with BT and Skys football.

Aussie Rugby League ? not my thing and is a bit of a niche market.

When you think BT/ESPN other 3 channels and in HD for not a whole lot more (for Sky payers) you do wonder how many people actually subscribe to PS across all platforms. Even with NHL and even if they had it in HD i would not pay £10pm.

They need to dramatically reduce the retail price or reduce their price to get Virgin to include the channel in XL
Well, as long as it's a stand alone channel and not part of a package, they can charge what they like as far as I'm concerned! The value of a product is determined by the number of people who are prepared to part with their cash to get it!
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 21:23   #4953
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I would love to know how many subscribers they have. I cannot imagine it's many which makes you wonder how they survive!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 22:24   #4954
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What's the point of Ofcom ?

Line rental is increasing year on year without any justification , £16.99 a month is a ridiculous price in my opinion and you can bet the rest will all do the same.

I'm sure its used by all companies to pay for other things such as sports rights etc.
I agree with you MM. Unfortunately, I think a large percentage of the country will still prefer use a landline. My parents and all my Aunts and Uncles still ring each other via landline. Whilst this continues the companies will continue fleece thos who prefer not to. In 15 years I can not see there being a landline charge, due to a generation change where more people are used to using mobile more landlines, but whilst lots of people continue to use the landline, the companies will continue to rip us all off.

Until more people use their landlines less than they use their mobiles, we will all suffer.

It really winds me up, unlike SS, it is not financially viaable for me to not have a landline. Quite how my bills are cheaper with it, is beyond me.

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Cant remember where the topic was discussed, but for those who are unaware (I doubt it will be many) and also wanting an excercise in commentary, Barry Davies is commentating on the Palace game on MOTD. His voice will be a sound for sore ears, and I will watch MOTD for that reason alone.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 07:11   #4955
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

[/COLOR]Cant remember where the topic was discussed, but for those who are unaware (I doubt it will be many) and also wanting an excercise in commentary, Barry Davies is commentating on the Palace game on MOTD. His voice will be a sound for sore ears, and I will watch MOTD for that reason alone.
What ever excites you..different strokes for different folks
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 13:09   #4956
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I agree with you MM. Unfortunately, I think a large percentage of the country will still prefer use a landline. My parents and all my Aunts and Uncles still ring each other via landline. Whilst this continues the companies will continue fleece thos who prefer not to. In 15 years I can not see there being a landline charge, due to a generation change where more people are used to using mobile more landlines, but whilst lots of people continue to use the landline, the companies will continue to rip us all off.

Until more people use their landlines less than they use their mobiles, we will all suffer.

It really winds me up, unlike SS, it is not financially viaable for me to not have a landline. Quite how my bills are cheaper with it, is beyond me.
When they no longer charge for landlines, my belief is that they will simply transfer the charge elsewhere. I can't see bills coming down overall because they still need to make a profit.
Old 24-08-2014, 13:20   #4957
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
When they no longer charge for landlines, my belief is that they will simply transfer the charge elsewhere. I can't see bills coming down overall because they still need to make a profit.
What most of us want is the price of line rental to COME DOWN TO A REASONABLE PRICE. I doubt very much this will happen any time soon though sadly.
Old 24-08-2014, 13:24   #4958
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
What most of us want is the price of line rental to COME DOWN TO A REASONABLE PRICE. I doubt very much this will happen any time soon though sadly.
Yes, I know, but I think if they bring the landline price down it will simply pop up again somewhere else.

The competition on the price of broadband is so intense that I wouldn't be surprised if some of that cost is being absorbed and transferred into the landline charge.
Old 24-08-2014, 13:24   #4959
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed all l can see is it soon reaching £20 a month in the next couple of years.
Old 24-08-2014, 13:40   #4960
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Indeed all l can see is it soon reaching £20 a month in the next couple of years.
Yes agree,and then I would have to look at saving elsewhere,i.e a cheaper broadband deal such as Plusnet or Talk Talk.
Old 24-08-2014, 13:49   #4961
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes agree,and then I would have to look at saving elsewhere,i.e a cheaper broadband deal such as Plusnet or Talk Talk.
I'm seriously thinking of dumping everything and going Freeview and Vonage.
The only thing i would keep is the broadband for Netflix/Prime.

Or i may keep the Tivo and move down to the minimum package and dump the phone, if the pricing doesn't make it worth my while i'll do what i said above and dump it all, except 60meg BB.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:42   #4962
TonyM19
Inactive

TonyM19 is on a distinguished roadTonyM19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, as long as it's a stand alone channel and not part of a package, they can charge what they like as far as I'm concerned! The value of a product is determined by the number of people who are prepared to part with their cash to get it!
This. I subscribe purely for the Aussie NRL games. Its easily worth the money for that alone to me. It's going off during the close season though
TonyM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:17   #4963
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM19 View Post
This. I subscribe purely for the Aussie NRL games. Its easily worth the money for that alone to me. It's going off during the close season though
And there we have it. If you enjoy the sports shown on this channel then it must be worth the cost. I am only interested in football so for me the channel is of no interest to me what-so-ever and therefore pointless me subscribing to it for what a few football matches they do show.
Old 25-08-2014, 18:28   #4964
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

This new SSN HQ is seriously doing my head in now , why do we constantly need to keep going to the wall telling us what's on across the Sky Sports channels.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 18:47   #4965
telegramsam
telegramsam

Probably because sky love advertising their programs at every opportunity. Look how often they advertise up and coming matches during a live match. I also think it fills some time in.