Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 18-02-2011, 22:47   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
Virgin Player mobile works on the iPhone - just not on WiFi (only on 3G - I assume its a rights issue).
Correct, it is down to the rights. The same restriction applies for any mobile device that can access the Player
Old 18-02-2011, 23:00   #17
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme2b View Post
Anybody else wondering how this is going to work? I have TiVo and the US version of the app obviously they dont work.. yet! But the US version obviously looks for the box locally, using ethernet connection to a router. Virgins wont be wireless I assume (unless its some massive secret easter egg for us later?) which would mean that it would then have to connect via the internet meaning possible lag when changing channels etc....

your thoughts please...
The TiVo box has an ethernet port - this could be attached to your home WiFi router to enable your iPad to see the TiVo locally in the same way as in the US.
pauldavies83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 23:04   #18
graeme2b
Inactive

Services: V+HD, 50MB, Unlimited Phone, Sky+HD 1Tb, Apple iPhone 4, Apple Macbook. TiVo.
graeme2b is on a distinguished roadgraeme2b is on a distinguished road

mmm maybe and hopefully, but i cant see VM doing it as TiVo has 10mb broadband built in... US boxes have to be connected to a router to get the TiVo service... Ethernet is normally just for Service.

its going to be interesting.. I hope its that simple though

Gra
graeme2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 23:38   #19
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

The ethernet is already (partially) active*.. it's just not finished yet.

* As in it can be pinged, but nothing else is listening.
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 00:17   #20
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Correct, it is down to the rights. The same restriction applies for any mobile device that can access the Player
So what about wifi? And a laptop, thats a mobile device. Or a tablet, or a minI tablet like (iPod touch size) or a smartphone on wifi only.

Seems that this distinction between a computer and a mobile phone is outdated.

Gone a bit off topic here, so back to the iPad TiVo app. Is the rights issue going to prevent iPad app playing VM content in ANY way? And does this issue become technical (flash)? In which case we're back to will a generic flash enabled tablet support playing the content?

Still back to my point that the US has got this right with the likes of Sling. And we're very much behind, quibbling over technical and license issues. They sorted the problem, why cant the Brits?

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 00:25   #21
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Is the rights issue going to prevent iPad app playing VM content in ANY way? And does this issue become technical (flash)? In which case we're back to will a generic flash enabled tablet support playing the content?
Haven't a clue.
Old 24-02-2011, 09:22   #22
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Just watched the video from Tivo in the OP. All I can say is wow, this would be a killer app for VM & Tivo in the UK!!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 17:55   #23
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Any update on this, we're almost at the end of Q2.....
Old 22-05-2011, 18:00   #24
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Any update on this, we're almost at the end of Q2.....
Have VM made any announcement at all about an ipad app for there version of Tivo ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:10   #25
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Have VM made any announcement at all about an ipad app for there version of Tivo ?
Cindy Rose said in an interview that we will get it.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:16   #26
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Cindy Rose said in an interview that we will get it.
Did she say when

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:30   #27
Doz007
cf.geek

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...service-912206

That article mentions this year, but I'm sure I read elsewhere before the end of Q2. I'll keep hunting.
Old 24-05-2011, 11:11   #28
marlman
cf.member

marlman is on a distinguished roadmarlman is on a distinguished road

I really want this app there are loads of reviews on You tube for the American version.

Used the YouTube app on TiVo for the first time to find them very impressive looks like a killer app to me!
marlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 13:03   #29
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Remote record apps will be a great addition for TIVO users , I use Sky+ app for my iPad , iPod touch and android phone and they are great much better than using the web listings or mobile listings.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 13:23   #30
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

BTW, it won't just be Virgin's TiVo app that will do remote record, other iOS apps will do it soon too. The "TV Guide" iOS app will be one of them:
http://getsatisfaction.com/tvguideco..._remote_record
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote