Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The end is nigh

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The end is nigh

Old 29-04-2012, 00:11   #16
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age
Re: The end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Given my estimate is October 2012-July 2013, i.e. 14 months after BT, they're not exactly keeping ahead.
Our estimate was March - April 2012, let's hope it doesn't mean you will have 9 months of crap.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 00:31   #17
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
I had ADSL installed by BT just after it came out, previously on dial-up, hey I go back a bit. First modem was an Acoustic Coupler which was surprisingly good considering you had to stuff your phone handset into it.

No, BT FTTP fibre to the premises, I don't want to know telephone wires after the hassle with adsl.
I was reading that BT have come up with a solution whereby they connect fibre to the cabinet which means that they are going to be able to roll it out much sooner than they originally planned.

I meant if its that old didnt you ask for a repull or have them check the cables?

From whats been said on here FTTP will cost you a bit. If your willing to pay thats up to you but if i was you and BT infinity was available to you id get in touch with them explain your previous issues, not VM. and say youll join if they sort you out a new repull from the cabinet. you could then try sneak in if they agree a repull for FTTP. wont be part of the free install but if they agree to a repull then paying extra for the change in cables might not be as much. MAYBE! no harm in trying.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:28   #18
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Thanks Nopanic, but I have reconciled myself to leaving, no big deal, it is just too much aggro trying to get them to admit that there is a problem at their end.
By all means leave, but at least get a level of service whilst you wait to. I can't look into your account but if you PM me I might be able to offer some support.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:39   #19
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

I know how you feel slow... VM are big users of the "play stupid" until we upgrade UBR's. i.e. don't try to fix tough problems at all and just brush them under the carpet until the UBR is upgraded, hence why people had months of problems on the official forums.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:10   #20
slowcoach
Inactive

slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post

I meant if its that old didnt you ask for a repull or have them check the cables?

From whats been said on here FTTP will cost you a bit. If your willing to pay thats up to you but if i was you and BT infinity was available to you id get in touch with them explain your previous issues, not VM. and say youll join if they sort you out a new repull from the cabinet. you could then try sneak in if they agree a repull for FTTP. wont be part of the free install but if they agree to a repull then paying extra for the change in cables might not be as much. MAYBE! no harm in trying.
Checking on Infinity it says:
Broadband option
Broadband speed range 56.9Mb download 20.0Mb upload
When you can get it Now

BT installed a new big cabinet together with a small one a few metres from my pole, I remember they also installed a new cable to the box at the time, was about 3 years ago. Overall I am about 1 1/4 miles from the exchange but only about 30 metres from the cabinets. The map also says that the Oldham exchange is FTTP ready.
Infinity does look better priced though.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:27   #21
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

id get in touch with them and get a rep out. someone senior in your area would do nicely. see my above post
Old 29-04-2012, 11:29   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Why would they send someone 'senior' out for a standard residential customer prospect?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:30   #23
thenry
Inactive

wont be standard though
Old 29-04-2012, 11:31   #24
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Standard Infinity, though..
Old 29-04-2012, 11:37   #25
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
By all means leave, but at least get a level of service whilst you wait to. I can't look into your account but if you PM me I might be able to offer some support.
PM'd.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:46   #26
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Standard Infinity, though..
the OP isnt looking for the standard install though. either way he needs someone out as his cables the cab to house look like an issue unless of course the old ADSL product he had was illmanaged likewise the network.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:50   #27
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post
I know how you feel slow... VM are big users of the "play stupid" until we upgrade UBR's. i.e. don't try to fix tough problems at all and just brush them under the carpet until the UBR is upgraded, hence why people had months of problems on the official forums.
I doubt if BT suddenly upping the anti making VM rush to increase their speeds has helped the situation, Engineer who came here looked totally fed up.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:51   #28
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
the OP isnt looking for the standard install though. either way he needs someone out as his cables the cab to house look like an issue unless of course the old ADSL product he had was illmanaged likewise the network.
But he is still just a standard residential customer who has a cabling problem - why would BT send out a senior person, rather than an engineer?
Old 29-04-2012, 11:54   #29
thenry
Inactive

thats what i meant sorry. senior to a normal sales rep.
Old 29-04-2012, 12:32   #30
GrizzlyRizzo
Inactive

GrizzlyRizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I doubt if BT suddenly upping the anti making VM rush to increase their speeds has helped the situation, Engineer who came here looked totally fed up.
I'm not supprised if the guy who came round looked fed, if he works for McNicolas on behalf of Virgin Media, they have some very big pay issues, and managers that just crack the whip, if you were working 12 hour days and getting between £220 and £270 for the plesure you'd be a bit fed up.

With the added factor that the paper work is, 50% of the time, wrong. Added with working tuesday to saturday working 2 6 day weeks in a month and just you try booking holidays with them, it's allways a BIG NO.

And if you are getting work done in the Bournemouth area, ask about the Team Manager, the grumpiest so and so you have ever met, with a just get it in and done attitude, with no regard for anything past his bonus, btw he got fired as an installer, then hired as a manager when McNicolas got the new contract.
GrizzlyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote