Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upload Bandwidth & Caps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upload Bandwidth & Caps

Old 26-05-2017, 20:43   #1
GaryTheHat
Inactive

GaryTheHat is an unknown quantity at this point
Upload Bandwidth & Caps

Hi All

New to the forum.

I was hoping to get some information regarding traffic & caps on upload. I am currently uploading audio to a shoutcast server and wanted to know what kind of limits or caps Virgin impose or what amount of bandwidth would I need to hit to get capped. The connection is a 10mb upload. I presume limits are usually associated to d/l.

Many Thanks

Gary
GaryTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2017, 21:08   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Upload Bandwidth & Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTheHat View Post
Hi All

New to the forum.

I was hoping to get some information regarding traffic & caps on upload. I am currently uploading audio to a shoutcast server and wanted to know what kind of limits or caps Virgin impose or what amount of bandwidth would I need to hit to get capped. The connection is a 10mb upload. I presume limits are usually associated to d/l.

Many Thanks

Gary
No, there are usage caps on uploads. Presuming you are on Vivid 150 (has 10Mbps upload) then the cap is 1700MB over the previous hour and upload speed will be reduced by 50% for 1 hour.

Hit 2250MB in the previous 120mins and your upload speed will be reduced by 65% for 2 hrs.

The above operates from 4pm - 11pm weekdays.

Weekends the same caps apply 11am - 11pm.

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-m...hresholds.html
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 22:34   #3
GaryTheHat
Inactive

GaryTheHat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

When I add FB live into the equation the connction acts strange so this must be the cap in force.

I presume an unlimited package will be the answer? Can anyone confirm who are using one that they are truely unlimited? Upload speed and reliability is more important than download speed.

Many Thanks

Gary
GaryTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 23:05   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Vivid 200 Gamer and Vivid 300 have no upload management
Old 26-05-2017, 23:29   #5
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hi, Thank you for your reply.

When I add FB live into the equation the connction acts strange so this must be the cap in force.
If you trigger upload traffic management then your upstream will be de-prioritised which will then affect the quality of your traffic, as you'll be behind everybody else on the same cable. So not just the bandwidth of upload is affected.

Your FB live issue may or may not be related, it could be problems with the FB CDN.

Quote:
I presume an unlimited package will be the answer? Can anyone confirm who are using one that they are truely unlimited? Upload speed and reliability is more important than download speed.

Many Thanks

Gary
You'll just have to try it.

Bear in mind that the number of upstreams you have locked on your modem, which in most cases is 2 x the modulation (16 or 64 QAM) will determine the bandwidth available for everybody on your node.

So:
2 x 16 QAM = 2 x 17Mb = 34 Mb total bandwidth on those upstream channels.
2 x 64 QAM = 2 x 27Mb = 54 Mb total bandwidth on those upstream channels.

So even though your package may not have traffic management on the upload, the bandwidth available during long streams may still vary a bit depending on how many people are using it.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 20:29   #6
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Here's a link to the traffic management policy

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-m...hresholds.html

Are Virgin still using traffic shaping as well?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:45   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

As far as I know, yes.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote