Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading from V+ to TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Some Virgin Compensation Advice

Old 16-09-2013, 11:48   #1
Wad_2002
Inactive

Services: Tivo & BB
Wad_2002 is on a distinguished roadWad_2002 is on a distinguished road
Some Virgin Compensation Advice

Hi Folks,

Apologies is this is the wrong section. It has been sometime since I have been on this forum due to familty, time etc.

I am hoping for some advice on what to do with my Virgin Service.

I will cut a long story short, been with virgin for many years, but for the last 3 years, I have had signal issues with my service which has led to sevre pixelation problems with my HD channels mainly being unwatchable.

The issue was first reported back in 2011 (which VM has confirmed recently) however they did not follow the fault though and basically I have lived with this for some years now. They sent tech's out, and they more or less pinned it ot the the tivo box iteself, but again did not follow it though with me.

Most recently, I upgraded and renewed my service and raised the issue with them again. Senior tech came out Saturday and has authorised with a cable repull for my property which is happening next week.

I have not had any issues in my view the internet, but the tech said that it would have been affected all this time as its a signal problem (something like 11 errors every 0.5secs)

Virgin said they would compensate me, but nothing specific at this point until after the repull. Do you guys think it reasonable for me to ask for 50% of my bills dating back to when the issue was first raised?

Any feedback would be appricated?

Thanks
Liam

p.s. good to be back on the forum
Wad_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2013, 12:37   #2
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon
Re: Some Virgin Compensation Advice

Wouldn't hurt asking. There is definitely a case for you cancelling the service with no charge due to the issues you said I would say. But those who work for Virgin that post here would be best to answer this.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 12:50   #3
Wad_2002
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Wouldn't hurt asking. There is definitely a case for you cancelling the service with no charge due to the issues you said I would say. But those who work for Virgin that post here would be best to answer this.
Thanks. Yeah I am hoping VM don't try and put me in a corner where they tell me to cancel or lump it.

Personally, I like VM and my services (minus HD anyway) and don't want to go through the hassle of moving.

Thanks
Old 16-09-2013, 12:56   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

There's no harm in asking.

But get it resolved first. It is standard practice to only give compensation after it is resolved, so they know what period they are compensating.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 17:48   #5
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Yes I had a more minor problem with the signal and they said the same as Spiderplant says above... the compensation was very fair.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 13:38   #6
Wad_2002
Inactive

thanks folks.

Reason i ask is I am potentilly asking for £750+ compensation lol.
Old 17-09-2013, 13:54   #7
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Think you may need to lower your expectations a little !
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 14:03   #8
Wad_2002
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
Think you may need to lower your expectations a little !
Noted...I thought that myself.

But what is reasonable in this case where I have had partial services for 3 years?
Old 17-09-2013, 14:07   #9
gizuk
Inactive

gizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad_2002 View Post
Noted...I thought that myself.

But what is reasonable in this case where I have had partial services for 3 years?
Have you really had partial service for the entirety of 3 years? I would have complained after 3 days and be cancelling by 3 weeks.

If it dragged on for 3 years I think you need to take a bit of the responsibility along with VM and be reasonable as to how it has TRULY impacted your service.
gizuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 14:20   #10
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Forget the time span for a minute ....

My first thoughts were that the only problem reported was the HD channels are mainly unwatchable.
This does mean though the SD variants are fine.

I'm not normally one to complain to any provider, but the time span to resolve would have been the one thing I would argue about, not so much the lack of HD.

Be interesting to hear of the resolve
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 15:37   #11
Wad_2002
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizuk View Post
Have you really had partial service for the entirety of 3 years? I would have complained after 3 days and be cancelling by 3 weeks.

If it dragged on for 3 years I think you need to take a bit of the responsibility along with VM and be reasonable as to how it has TRULY impacted your service.
As much as I would hate to say it, I do agree that perhaps I should have been at there heels a bit more.

However, I can only say that it was reported them at least twice, back in 2011. Had a couple of engineers out, they said they would be back in touch. No contact.

I got the automated call from VM advising "Press 1 if problem still exists" , etc. I remeber pressing that and again nothing. No further contact. Called back up presviously, and no disrespect and I am not being racist, but when you get connected the idian call centre try explaining this perstant problem to them. I did try and got no where, they kept asking if I wanted to remove channels. Plus I have a deep Scottish accent which doesn't help .

It got to a stage where I got fed up with it and lived with it. They do have my call records on there system and according to one of the advisors the repair ticket back then doesn not have a resolution agaist it.

From a customer service point of view, I did try with them, I lft in there hands multiple times to resolve and they did not.

As for service disruption, I have not been able to watch serveral HD channels and slight pixelation on normal SD channels now and again, but nothing I can't live with.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I not done something like this before.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
Forget the time span for a minute ....

My first thoughts were that the only problem reported was the HD channels are mainly unwatchable.
This does mean though the SD variants are fine.

I'm not normally one to complain to any provider, but the time span to resolve would have been the one thing I would argue about, not so much the lack of HD.

Be interesting to hear of the resolve
Exactly, again, another reason I lived with it cause I could watch the SD variants.

Again, got sick of calling up, taking time off work etc. So gave up on the issue.
Old 17-09-2013, 16:15   #12
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Whilst you should have been more proactive let's not lose sight of the fact that actually you're the customer and shouldn't really have to be chasing them to resolve an issue that has been reported to them. Once really should have been enough. What people regard as acceptable customer service never fails to amaze me. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Old 18-09-2013, 13:29   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I agree it's not acceptable service in this case, but it's a fact of life that you have to chase people sometimes.

Personally, I don't like the compensation culture that has grown like topsy in this country in recent years. All it does it put the costs up which translates in price increases for all of us. Is that really what we want?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 13:45   #14
gizuk
Inactive

gizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Whilst you should have been more proactive let's not lose sight of the fact that actually you're the customer and shouldn't really have to be chasing them to resolve an issue that has been reported to them. Once really should have been enough. What people regard as acceptable customer service never fails to amaze me. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
It is perfectly reasonable for a company to presume that the issue has gone if they do something then we don't report it again. How are they to know that the issue is persistent if we don't let them know?

Whilst I don't think this is the case with the OP here I think there is a terrible culture rising where people always think it's someone else's responsibility. It's my responsibility to do something if I'm not getting the service I want.
gizuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 14:43   #15
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizuk View Post
It is perfectly reasonable for a company to presume that the issue has gone if they do something then we don't report it again. How are they to know that the issue is persistent if we don't let them know?

Whilst I don't think this is the case with the OP here I think there is a terrible culture rising where people always think it's someone else's responsibility. It's my responsibility to do something if I'm not getting the service I want.
It's the company's responsibility to provide the service they advertise, and I don't think it hurts any company to actually follow up when they've undertaken engineering work, rather than just "presume that the issue has gone away". I genuinely find it incredible that people consider either of these things acceptable. I don't. Provide me with the service you advertise, if you can't the onus is on you to ensure it's resolved. It's because people accept less than these very basic standards that we get such poor customer service from companies.

I agree, Old Boy, that we don't want to live in a compensation culture where the average customer has to suffer increased bills because their service provider is always paying out. If the service providers get the basics right first time then we won't have to.