Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ipad 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Unsure of Ports - 1.3 HDMI + 1.4

Old 27-04-2012, 14:37   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Red face Unsure of Ports - 1.3 HDMI + 1.4

I have a Samsung MV800 Digital Camera, and I'm trying to connect it to my TV using the supplied lead, so I can view 3D Pictures, Taken from the Camera.

According to the Manual, It says I an connect it using an AV lead, however I cant view the Images in 3D, It's a similar issue that I had with my Sony.

It also says in the manual I can connect the camera using a HDMI cable, but I dont have a cable that fits the "Camera End", It looks to me as though it's a Micro HD Connection.

I have supplied pictures of the Camera End, Could someone verify which cable I would need?

The Tech Specs for the Camera say HDMI 1.3, But All my Leads for 3D are 1.4 Cables.

I dont want to buy a 1.3 Cable to view 3D images, only to be told I need 1.4, On the other hand, I Dont want to buy 1.4 and damage the camera.

So to summarize...

1- What ports are displayed in the photo?

2- If it is a Micro HDMI Port Are there different types of Micro HDMI Or Will One Size Fit All?

3- Will buying a 1.4 HDMI damage the camera if the tech spec says 1.3?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01818.JPG (547.0 KB, 13 views)
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2012, 19:41   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Unsure of Ports - 1.3 HDMI + 1.4

You cannot damage your camera or any other bit of kit by using a "1.3" cable instead of "1.4" or vice versa.

And there is actually no such thing as a "1.3" or "1.4" HDMI cable anyway...

HDMI v1.4 added an Ethernet Channel, Audio Return Channel, 4K resolution, and of course 3D.

But that's the interface, not the cables...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

Both v1.3 and v1.4 have the same max. bandwidth, and both simply require a "High Speed"* HDMI cable to be able to handle 1080p or 3D. You'd only need a "High Speed with Ethernet"** cable if the devices at each end both need the Ethernet Channel.

*[Often incorrectly marketed as "1.3"]
**[Often incorrectly marketed as "1.4"]

The official word on HDMI cables...

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI
Choosing the Right HDMI Cable

When it comes to selecting a cable, the HDMI version number is never relevant. There is no such thing as a “Version 1.4 cable” or “HDMI 1.3 cable” - these terms are solely the creation of manufacturers’ marketing efforts.

Cables are instead rated by their performance capabilities. There are five HDMI cable types to choose from:

Standard HDMI Cable - Designed to handle most home applications, the Standard HDMI Cable can reliably transmit 1080i or 720p video plus surround audio.

Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Same baseline performance as the Standard HDMI Cable, plus a dedicated Ethernet channel for Internet connection sharing and device networking.

Standard Automotive HDMI Cable - Designed for internal cabling of motor vehicles equipped with onboard HD video systems.

High Speed HDMI Cable - Designed to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies like 3D and 4K.

High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Same baseline performance as the High Speed HDMI cable, plus a dedicated Ethernet channel for Internet connection sharing and device networking.

Each of these cable types should be clearly marked with a distinctive logo, as shown below...

See also:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...i_1_4_faq.aspx

As for the connector size... no idea, sorry.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Right, it seems there are two types of smaller connector:

Mini HDMI

Micro HDMI

From a quick Google of your camera's name it appears that it uses Micro HDMI.

So, you have two options:

1) Buy an adaptor so you can use an existing HDMI cable, e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Trading-P...5548283&sr=8-2

2) Buy a new cable with a Micro connector on one end, e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Micr...5548283&sr=8-3
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 12:33   #3
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

Thanks Matt, I've opted for the 2nd Option, hopefully that will solve my issue
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 15:52   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

No prob
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote