Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | viewing the hidden partition in vista

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Email to a sub domain.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:25   #1
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society
Email to a sub domain.

Hello all,

i was wondering if anyone has any ideas if i can email to a sub domain and if so how to set it up.

I purchased a domain name with 123-reg and can edit any DNS settings

so i have mydomain.com and its happy and everything works.

I wish to add a sub domain such as support.mydomain.com and then enable people to email user@support.mydomain.com

I think it is possible to set it up but i dont know where to start.
to make it harder i dont have an email server but will be mail forwarding any emails from that subdomain to another email address.

any ideas? Thanks in advance.
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45   #2
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future
Re: Email to a sub domain.

You will need some kind of e-mail server. Mail forwarders just use the hosting companies mail server.

As far as I am aware each sub domain would need an IP address which was matched to a domain set up on the mail server.
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20   #3
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Most registrars provide free email forwarding, but not usually for subdomains. As cyber has already said, you'll most likely need a web hosting service.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Should be available as an option in your control panel. I thnk cpanel has this as standard.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:57   #5
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

that woudl be on a hosted account tho, cpanel doesnt normally come with a domain only, and especially not with 123reg
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote