Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

Old 28-04-2012, 21:51   #1
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road
Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning a garden office (aka a fancy shed with heating) and am looking to move the second Tivo box down there.

We've got a bit of an odd setup.

In the front room we have tivo ('main box'), in the back room we have VHD (this is where the superhub is, and where the network comes in.

A new spur was added from the back room, directly up the outside wall and into the room above, this is the box I want to relocate.

I wouldn't bother taking the cable out, and would instead lay a new one. My only concern is that the shed...er...office, is about 10 meters away.

Do the Tivo boxes act the same way as the modem and require signal levels to be altered by a tech, or will I be ok to lengthen it myself?

Thanks!
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 10:42   #2
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Re: Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

hmmm, it all depends on the signal the box is currently receiving as to whether anything would need to be done, all i can say is give it a go and see if it works, if not arrange for a tech to come take a look and sort the signal out, which could be as simple as changing the tap in the cabinet or fitting a device which removes the signal loss from the splitter
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 13:56   #3
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

..and they would probably charge you £25 for doing it too.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 13:59   #4
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
yeah this is true... however if you say it's a fault... then it's free (if you tip the tech that is lol)
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:46   #5
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Yes, but the thing is if they re-route it for the OP and do it properly it will be £25 well spent.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 18:10   #6
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL

Cheers guys,

Just to follow up, If I grab some coax and do this myself and it turns out not to work due to poor signal, I assume I wont be told off for doing the work myself? I've got no problem paying £25 but theres no way in hell a VM tech is going to dig a hole all around my garden to feed the cable, its a good half days work. I'm going to be routing some cat6 myself so thought it would be easiest if I just did it all at the same time.
Old 13-05-2012, 18:57   #7
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No. £75 (or possibly £99. Not sure which!)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:21   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Also would a tech install in an outbuilding that is not connected to the house.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:00   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Also would a tech install in an outbuilding that is not connected to the house.
I wouldn't, or I would leave the cab,e along the grass and get someone else to bury it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 18:14   #10
rmwebs
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I wouldn't, or I would leave the cab,e along the grass and get someone else to bury it
So if I was to lay the cable, get it all fitted up, etc myself, do you think an engineer would have any problem with that? I mean, I assume it would only require signal adjustments at the cabinet, correct?

Cheers
Old 15-05-2012, 18:20   #11
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Depends on how much you bung him I guess
Old 15-05-2012, 18:28   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Saves me a lot of work, I'd totally use it no problem
Old 03-07-2012, 23:05   #13
rmwebs
Inactive

Sorry to bump this back up. I'm finally getting somewhere with this shed build and am just about ready to do the tivo cable fitting.

There seem to be so many conflicting posts around saying which type of cable you should or should not use. Could someone with a clue help me out here. The cable will be going about 20 meters from the virgin wall box to the tivo box in the shed/office. It will obviously be running outside (tacked to a wall).

What type of cable should I be using here? I've seen people say to use PF100, RG6, PF100, CT100, etc. What should I be going for, and why? Whats the difference between them other than some being hellishly expensive and some being dirt cheap? Obviously there must be some sort of signal quality difference but I'm stumped as to which one I should go for. Ideally I dont want to have to spend £50+ on a length of cable!

Cheers
Old 03-07-2012, 23:17   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

I use triple shielded rg6. 20meters would loose around 3 or 4db. Should be fine
Old 03-07-2012, 23:22   #15
rmwebs
Inactive

Thanks for the quick reply jb66. I dont suppose you could recommend where to grab it? I cant seem to find any that is triple shielded online.

As a side thought, I saw someone else's post where they had used WF100 on a 25 metre run for a tivo box and it worked with very little loss of power. I've found that satcure sell a 30 metre length for £18 - would this do the job?

Thanks again!