Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ipad 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

ipad 2

Old 27-04-2012, 00:42   #1
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
ipad 2

May be wrong section , but anyway here goes, im thinking of getting my daughter the ipad 2 as a birthday present, but i'm amazed at the price difference between here and the States, the cheapest i can see here in good old rip off UK is about £320 ish, in the USA its about $399, which in our money is approx £250, how the hell do we have to pay approx £70 more than they do over there?
I know that Apple set the prices, so if a UK franchise goes below the UK price it could face embargo's, but how can Apple justify this when its on sale for so much cheaper in their own country?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2012, 01:09   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: ipad 2

It doesn't make it right, but Apple are not the only company who do this. Most dp.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 08:02   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

FYI, the banner price in the US doesn't include sales tax - I bought a 64GB version last month, and once sales tax wax added, it was only/still approx £80 cheaper.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 17:50   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

It is the same with the Kindle. We get ripped off on electronics here in the UK.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 20:44   #5
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

you could always get on a plane and import one, but overall it might just work out more expensive....
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 20:54   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

In part it's due to prices in the US generally being advertised exclusive of sales tax, which varies from state to state. In part you can blame the higher costs of doing business here (and therefore higher cost of finished products) due to the mountain of regulation and petty bureaucratic red tape imposed by the good old EU (though the British government isn't above blame in this respect either).

The business climate in the USA is simply better than it is here and consumers benefit from it. If you want to do something about that, consider voting UKIP next month.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 21:04   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Also, VAT vs Sales Tax.

South Carolina - 7% Sales Tax
UK - 20% VAT

The difference of 12.5% of $699 (64GB wifi iPad3) is approx $87, or £54...
Old 27-04-2012, 23:47   #8
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
South Carolina - 7% Sales Tax
Dependant on which county you purchase in , not all counties in the State of South Carolina have the same sales tax rate however I agree it's considerably cheaper than our 20%.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 00:32   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Richland..

tbf, the max differential is 2% (6 - 8%).
Old 28-04-2012, 11:33   #10
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
May be wrong section , but anyway here goes, im thinking of getting my daughter the ipad 2 as a birthday present, but i'm amazed at the price difference between here and the States, the cheapest i can see here in good old rip off UK is about £320 ish, in the USA its about $399, which in our money is approx £250, how the hell do we have to pay approx £70 more than they do over there?
I know that Apple set the prices, so if a UK franchise goes below the UK price it could face embargo's, but how can Apple justify this when its on sale for so much cheaper in their own country?

If so many people here are queueing up to buy Apple's 'premium priced' offerings why would they discount them? They're not acting illegally and aren't a charity, as their share price and sales/profit figures will testify. If people stopped buying the stuff they'd reduce the price but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Clearly plenty of people are willing to spend their hard earned (or otherwise obtained) cash to join the Apple fan club in spite of all the financial doom and gloom.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 11:39   #11
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
It is the same with the Kindle. We get ripped off on electronics here in the UK.
I'd say the Kindle is still better value for the money if only for the amount of money you save on books.As for Apple products I'll pass.I'd rather find something that is better value for the money and does the same things.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:22   #12
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I'd say the Kindle is still better value for the money if only for the amount of money you save on books.As for Apple products I'll pass.I'd rather find something that is better value for the money and does the same things.
Me too - the style factor doesn't interest me in the slightest and for my needs the extra functionailty/build quality (if there is any) isn't worth the price premium and the restrictions that dealing with Apple inevitably involves. Android and PC for me every time.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:36   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It doesn't make it right, but Apple are not the only company who do this. Most dp.
It's not only not right, it's illegal.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:41   #14
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
It's not only not right, it's illegal.
If they were doing something illegal wouldn't their competitors, consumer groups, the EU etc. etc. be taking legal action? I mean it's not as though Apple is short of enemies and competitors is it.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:47   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
If they were doing something illegal wouldn't their competitors, consumer groups, the EU etc. etc. be taking legal action? I mean it's not as though Apple is short of enemies and competitors is it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

Quote:
British competition law prohibits almost any attempt to fix prices.[11]
The Net Book Agreement was a public agreement between UK booksellers from 1900 to 1991 to sell new books only at the recommended retail price to protect the revenues of smaller bookshops. The agreement collapsed in 1991 when the large book chain Dillons began discounting books, followed by rival Waterstones.[12][13]
However, price-fixing is still legal in the magazine and newspaper distribution industry. Retailers who sell at below cover price are subject to withdrawal of supply. The Office of Fair Trading has given its approval to the status quo.
Magazine and newspaper trade aside, it is illegal for a manufacturer to demand a product be sold for a minimum price.