Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mobile Tyre repair

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Mobile Tyre repair

Old 24-03-2017, 19:48   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Mobile Tyre repair

My next car I believe doesn't have a spare, it has the foam stuff.

But if you get a blow out where you can't use this, I'd need to call some one out.

Can you recommend a good, quick service that will come to my aid?

I live in Essex if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Hom3r; 24-03-2017 at 19:51.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2017, 20:05   #2
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Tyre repair

You're basically looking at two options, either a mobile tyre fitter or a full breakdown service.

A mobile tyre fitter probably wouldn't be able to come out right away (or will charge a fair bit to do so) and the breakdown services (AA/RAC/Green Flag) will probably only have a temporary wheel to get you home/to the nearest tyre depot.

Is this going to be a new order car? Ask how much a spare wheel kit would be as an option
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 20:05   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
My next car I believe doesn't have a spare, it has the foam stuff.

But if you get a blow out where you can't use this, I'd need to call some one out.

Can you recommend a good, quick service that will come to my aid?

I live in Essex if that makes any difference.
My car is the same so i joined the RAC using Tesco clubcard vouchers as it is only £48 a year in vouchers for the cover i needed RAC: Roadside + Recovery + At Home, this maybe your best option as the mobile places may not change the tyre at the road side in short notice?
Old 24-03-2017, 20:35   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

In 29 years motoring I have had about 2 punctures.

But without a spare, I know I'll get one.
Old 24-03-2017, 21:16   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
You're basically looking at two options, either a mobile tyre fitter or a full breakdown service.

A mobile tyre fitter probably wouldn't be able to come out right away (or will charge a fair bit to do so) and the breakdown services (AA/RAC/Green Flag) will probably only have a temporary wheel to get you home/to the nearest tyre depot.

Is this going to be a new order car? Ask how much a spare wheel kit would be as an option

Once you have used the silent you will need to purchase a new tire.

My 2016 VIVA had sealant kit but I purchase a Vauxhall space Sava kit £180.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 21:37   #6
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Most new cars come with at least one year's breakdown cover so no need to worry at this stage I'm sure.
Old 24-03-2017, 22:08   #7
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

You can bet that when you do have a puncture it'll happen at the worst possible time so even with a breakdown service the hassle etc/ can be huge. That's why I bought Osem Jnr a space saver spare with jack and wheel brace to replace the silly foam kit supplied with his new car. IIRC it only cost around £70 on Ebay and was money very well spent I reckon.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 22:34   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It all depends on the car whether a space saver wheel is legal i guess, on my Astra VXR i suspect it wouldn't be.

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

I have had 2 punctures in my car though and i was able to drive a few miles with it flat and i don't think they where run flats just reinforced.

Personally i think your best option is the AA RAC etc, they would recover the car and take it where ever you want them to go.
Old 24-03-2017, 23:16   #9
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It all depends on the car whether a space saver wheel is legal i guess, on my Astra VXR i suspect it wouldn't be.

I have had 2 punctures in my car though and i was able to drive a few miles with it flat and i don't think they where run flats just reinforced.

Personally i think your best option is the AA RAC etc, they would recover the car and take it where ever you want them to go.
Not sure why it would be illegal on your car.

The trouble with recovery etc. is that it will take extra time (sometimes a lot) and if you're going somewhere important when the worst happens you might not have that time.

Given the usually relatively low cost of a spare (full sized or space saver) I'd never be without one and there's always the option of having RAC cover or whatever in addition.
Old 24-03-2017, 23:18   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:

My car was covered by The AA, they came out in 1.75 hours and they the sealant which failed, they towed me home by which time all the tire outlets had closed, 3 days later they brought a new tire and fitted that.

The AA guy did not have a good word to say about the sealant
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 23:21   #11
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
My car was covered by The AA, they came out in 1.75 hours and they the sealant which failed, they towed me home by which time all the tire outlets had closed, 3 days later they brought a new tire and fitted that.

The AA guy did not have a good word to say about the sealant
I have no idea whether you can fit a spare tyre or not and if you can't then you have little choice of course but that's exactly why I'd rather have a spare I can change in about 20 mins.
Old 24-03-2017, 23:21   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

does the foam sealant damage the alloy or is it safe
Old 24-03-2017, 23:26   #13
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
does the foam sealant damage the alloy or is it safe
I think the sealant renders the tyre un-repairable. It's really only any good for small punctures on the main tread pattern of the tyre, it's no good for sidewall damage either apparently.
Old 24-03-2017, 23:43   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Not sure why it would be illegal on your car.

The trouble with recovery etc. is that it will take extra time (sometimes a lot) and if you're going somewhere important when the worst happens you might not have that time.

Given the usually relatively low cost of a spare (full sized or space saver) I'd never be without one and there's always the option of having RAC cover or whatever in addition.
My point being is my wheels are 19in, not sure if i could get a space saver or they would have put 1 in the car, maybe it is to do with a cars power i really dont know.

I should have googled this along time ago but the car now needs changing with 94k on it and i do 18k a year.
Old 25-03-2017, 10:05   #15
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Sealant foam is the same stuff as those old cans of "Holt's tyreweld" you could buy. As Osem mentions its designed for sealing around small punctures, such as something like a nail or screw in a tyre and its only designed to get you to the nearest tyre change place at low speed (much lower than a spacesaver I believe). Any other damage such as a torn sidewall or buckled wheel (very common with potholes) leaves you stranded.

Personally, I've got a full size steel spare in my car (2004 Focus) which I picked up off a friend. The standard spacesaver then went in my mum's car (2013 Fiesta) which only had sealant, and then we put together a wheelbrace and jack to change it.

Basically it boils down to this: Do you mostly drive in populated areas or urban areas? If its urban areas sealant and something like basic "call out" RAC/AA (with its 8 mile towing limit) will probably do you OK. If on the other hand you spend a lot of time out in the sticks, especially in areas with no mobile phone reception, then a spare wheel of some description is vital.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
My point being is my wheels are 19in, not sure if i could get a space saver or they would have put 1 in the car, maybe it is to do with a cars power i really dont know.

I should have googled this along time ago but the car now needs changing with 94k on it and i do 18k a year.
I don't think there's any legal requirements regarding spacesavers, just that manufacturers require lower speeds due to the relative size difference between the spare and a normal wheel.

What you might find though is that the spare wheel well in the boot either isn't there at all, or only deep enough for a space saver wheel. Some cars come with collapsible spare wheels to help get around this. I'd ask around the model specific forums for an answer.

Personally, a spacesaver is the minimum I'll accept in a car I'm driving. At least with that you can get the car down in to town and get the other tyre fixed.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote