Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Kelly Communications

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Kelly Communications

Old 13-08-2012, 18:53   #31
frosty1977
Inactive

frosty1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Kelly Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza106 View Post
I start my training soon with Kelly's, is it really this bad?
Was told I will be earning between £80-£120 a day.
And again training pay is £40 a day for 2 weeks and then 1 week will be
On the job paired up with someone, I'm in the herts area..... Also with the promise
Of loads of work coming up
Hi Bazza, was googling Kelly Communicatins and found this. I know this is an old post but yours was earlier this year so thought I'd give it a go.
I just had an offer to start training next week, which I cannot do, but they are going to get back with another date. I just wanted to know if you went through with your training and still work for Kelly?

I was told I'd get £25 per installation and garunteed 5 installs per day, plus 3 weeks training hotel paid for (as I'm in devon).

Also who do they have contracts with now?

Cheers

Lee
frosty1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2012, 22:24   #32
Gregors
Inactive

Gregors is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone working for Kelly's? Been offered a start but all I seem to read is bad news?

Help please?
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:17   #33
connector
Inactive

connector is an unknown quantity at this point

BEWARE !!! KELLYS RIP U OFF

What a dreadful company.
After attending an induction+accreditation course (BT openreach) i started working for these people. After a few days it became clearly apparent that they could not organise a **** up in a brewery.
Nethertheless i foolishly stayed for two weeks in the hope that things might change. They didn't so i resigned. Returned van and tools as requested.
Now i find out they are not paying me for the time i worked. As they have a sneeky clause in contract that docs £500 if you leave within 12mths. What a disgrace!! When i rang the accounts umbrella company they said that everybody is informed at induction.
No i wasn't!!!
Absolute disgrace!!
Now seeking legal advice.
Please ..Please..beware.....do not join them.
connector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 11:17   #34
deafmishka
Inactive

deafmishka is an unknown quantity at this point

I Agree BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY....
I also attended the training course which heavily pushed H & S although very quickly, only to find in the real world of Kelly all H & S is thrown into the wind.
After working in the field of 1 week I was placed on price work without any knowledge of being placed on price work and with out a phone where I could down load jobs. I was told to shadow another engineer until a phone arrived 3 weeks later.
The first i knew I was on price work was when I received my wages 75 pounds for a weeks work at 12 hours a day 5 days a week, on confronting the pay role I was given another number to talk to a manager who was more concerned on who had given me his number and basically had nothing to say.
Work is placed on your phone and opened for you, its not unusual to have 3 jobs placed on you at 16:30 hours and opened, looking like you are on the job in 3 places!
When contacting the powers above either the phone rings and rings or goes to voice mail, Managers don't want to know, your Field service operator will tel you to close jobs down either a Domestic fault or the Customer was not in, to bad if your the BT Open Reach customer who has stayed in or taken a day off work waiting for your new phone line or internet.
As for wages you are paid fortnightly through a 3rd Party who has no access to what hours or work has been done BUT charges you 12.50 including VAT A WEEK for the privilege of paying you every FORTNIGHT.

Kelly Managers seem to be only interested in getting the jobs off loaded on to the engineer and even if its dark still expect an engineer to climb poles and enter a BT Cabinet with a torch to fulfill the Managers quoter and Bonus.

I feel sad that a Company like Kelly can wreck a perfectly good business like BT and Kelly do not even have to go out looking for the work its handed to them on a plate.
ANY BODY CONTEMPLATING WORKING FOR KELLY PLEASE BEWARE.
deafmishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:10   #35
Bradge
Inactive

Bradge is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by connector View Post
BEWARE !!! KELLYS RIP U OFF

What a dreadful company.
After attending an induction+accreditation course (BT openreach) i started working for these people. After a few days it became clearly apparent that they could not organise a **** up in a brewery.
Nethertheless i foolishly stayed for two weeks in the hope that things might change. They didn't so i resigned. Returned van and tools as requested.
Now i find out they are not paying me for the time i worked. As they have a sneeky clause in contract that docs £500 if you leave within 12mths. What a disgrace!! When i rang the accounts umbrella company they said that everybody is informed at induction.
No i wasn't!!!
Absolute disgrace!!
Now seeking legal advice.
Please ..Please..beware.....do not join them.

Connector, I would be very interested to see what legal advise you have been given in terms of being deducted £500 from kellys. I am in exactly the same situation. However i was paid for the training which was £540 for 9 days, then went on to work an additional 9 days before deciding that the company is a complete joke run by morons. I was expecting the pointless umbrella company to pay me £540 minus tax and their stupid fees for doing nothing. Instead i was paid £56. I looked into this and after weeks of phone calls back and forth and being fobbed off i discovered that i had been paid in full for the first 4days, then the second week i went out with a buddy (as the training was a joke!!!) and i had been paid £25 a day (price work not training wage) for 4 days not 5. So i was paid £340 instead of £540, and then all of that had been deducted due to the £500 training deduction. The £56 i received turned out to be a tax rebate and of course the umbrella company then taxed that and took of their fees as they havent a clue whats going on. In regards to the £500 deduction, i have contacted them many times about this as it was only mentioned in the umbrella company contract (which i did not sign) and therefore they have no legal right to deduct this. They just tell you to contact the umbrella company, then the umbrella company tells you they only pay you what they are toldto, so it is al down to keyys to sort it out but kellys wont have any of it. I want to take legal action against them aswell and was wondering what advise you have received and if there is any point in going ahead with it.

In terms of working for the company I would say NO NO NO NO NO! Dont waste your time and money on this ridiculous company. Bad pay, bad working conditions, bad management, bad training. On my first day we were asked to go to the head office for 7am, we waited until 10am before anyone came to talk to us. Then they went through a load of rubbish nd told us some home truths about working late which was never mentioned on the training. Then we were shown how to use our phones and had a chance to ask questions. Our main queston was how do we use our butt phone (new red ones that we hadnt been trained on because not even the training centre had been shown how to) Not one person in the whole head office knew how to use them but as the directors were in and complaining about us still being there we were rushed out of the car par and told to go to the stores to collect thing we need. After collecting stores it was 4pm. Unbelievably we were then sent alone to a job massively under trained. I was at my job until 8.30pm and had to go home as i couldnt see what i was doing in the dark and it was very dangerous to be up ladders on the side of the house weilding a hammer and powertools (no torch provided). I had to go back first thing in the morning to finish the job, fortunately the customer was very understanding. I should have told kellys to shove the job up their a*** right then, but foolishly i continued another 2weeks for nothing. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!

Rant over.
Bradge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 15:24   #36
whosyagamer
Inactive

whosyagamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bradge,

I think I was with you on the first day at the Kelly's office at 7am, I'm in the same situation and have now left the company as well. I wish I never started there. I am going to PM you.

I have to agree with you all I would advise anyone DEFINITELY DO NOT EVEN THINK OF STARTING TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY they WILL rip you off. The managers do not give a damn if you are paid or not slogging your guts out for up to 16 hours a day, they still get their cut for you doing all the work.

As for the £500 training fee nobody said up front from the agencies or Kelly's or the umbrella company. It stated on the emails that the training was paid for but didn't mention that you had to pay it back if you left after a certain time. It should of been made clear from the very 1st day. On the 1st induction day the umbrella company turned up were introduced said hello and disappeared never to be seen again. As for the first 2/3 days of training it was just form filling and not until the 4th week were the contracts sent out.

The amounts of times that both of these companies have breached their own contract when I worked there warrants that it is void. They like to cut corners & their favourite quote was "cover your arse" to get the job done. The fact that their work is all for Openreach and the amount of corners being cut due to not being trained properly or having the right equipment to do the job.

But that's not the only reason for commenting on this page, if Kelly's or their umbrella company think they can take the p*ss they are NOT going to have the last laugh when I've finished with them.
whosyagamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:13   #37
Scubaboy
Inactive

Scubaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know if kellys give you training from scratch for the overhead line technician vacancys with kellys?ive got experience with virgin installing and doin mi installs so have an idea of provisioning and installing its just ive got a telephone interview this week.
Scubaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 00:38   #38
shoot2thrill
Inactive

shoot2thrill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
Im new to this so please be gentle!

Ive also been offered a position at kellys as a telecoms installer putting in the overhead lines for openreach,
everything at the interview seemed a bit sketchy to be fair, i was told i will be getting paid a flat rate £25 per job with van, tools and fuel card provided.
No real idea of how many jobs a day you get given and how it actually works regarding recieving jobs etc,
Looking through most of the posts it doesnt look too good to be honest.
Im an ex sky installer but have been self employed for past few years,
it all seems very familiar, iv subbied for firms doing sky and we used to get paid per job, however it was sometimes 12+ hours worth of work a day with jobs upto 70 miles away!
It was a case of get your head down and get on with it.
I was looking forward to starting the training course and learning something new but im not so sure now.
I understand that you only ever hear the sh*t stuff about firms but is there anyone out there who can give an honest and varied opinion?
I fully expect it to be out in all weathers and rough with the smooth in terms of jobs, i dont mind this im used to it,
my main concerns are what radius do engineers cover, is it hours of driving?
How many jobs realisticley can a decent installer get through?
Is the training course (2 weeks) enough to get an idea of the job?
Any replies with a varied opinion of good and bad would be much appreciated,
Cheers guys
shoot2thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 23:39   #39
whosyagamer
Inactive

whosyagamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shoot2thrill,

I just want to give my opinion as I had a bad experience and a few other people that I know of who started when I did last October have also left. Kelly's will work you very hard and it will be long hours here are a few things to consider:-

No cost to driving to work, just the time to get to jobs
You get a van, tools, fuel card and smartphone to pull jobs down.
You get £25 per job for telegraph pole work and £15 for MI (FTTC).
The first 3 days you will be signing lots of documents and have to pass a van driving test in Birmingham.
The training are BT accreditations and they are a refresher course not a full course and a City and Guilds course over 6 days in Coventry at PQMS.
You need to pay for all your travel expenses getting there and then claim them back at the end of the tax year.
When you get you van you take a coach to Dunstable and then have to drive back to the training in Coventry
You could be just driving for 6-8 hours a day before even making any money.
Days can be 16 hours plus early starts and late finishes.
You need to complete 6 jobs a day when you start anymore is a bonus.
Tools, fuel card and phone could take quite a few weeks to come and you.
Sometimes you are not supplied with all the tools needed for the job so you have to fail them.
The van tools are audited.
They could put jobs on you really late in the day and you don't have time to complete them and you have to send them back.
People have been known to be sent out on the MI jobs without any training and not all the tools needed.
Beware of the contract there is a clause in it if you leave before 12 months they charge you £500 for training.
Most times they don't put you up in a hotel if you are working away all week from home, so expect to drive 3-4 hours there and back everyday.
Beware of Labourforce who do the tax and pay you, make sure they pay you every 2 weeks and don't let Kelly's or Labourforce rip you off (I left 2 months ago and still owed money).
Openreach audit the jobs so if they fail that job you will not get a penny for all the work you did and will take the money back.
BT stores do not always have everything you need to complete the jobs the best ones to go to are the main BT hub stores.
Beware of faults in the BT network as if you do a lot of work and then find out it fails because of a BT fault.
Managers want all jobs closed by a certain time in the evening even if you have done most of the work and will ask you to fail them losing money.
You can't go back to the same job you did the day before you didn't complete (what happens is another engineer will do the rest and get all the money).
Be prepared to lie a lot.

I hope this helps.
whosyagamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 22:39   #40
shoot2thrill
Inactive

hi everyone,

just thought id give an update for anyone googling "working at kellys" like i did when i was offered a job.
it was with a bit of uncertainty that i accepted a job at kellys having read all the negative posts, i turned up at the training centre with alot of doubts. so il be as honest as i can about my experience so far

The training centre i attended was on a remote farm/industrial estate in the arse end of coventry, it was scruffy, dirty and VERY COLD! but to be fair it was the coldest winter for ages and building work was being undertaken to update the place.
the info and training given over the 2 weeks was just about adequate, (nothing to do with the blokes who taught us as they were spot on and very knowledable)
it was more to do with trying to cram in alot of info about BT aswell as a driving course AND a roadworks course into 12 days.
around 20 lads from all over the country attended and we were put up in a modern and comfy novotell with breakfast included and subsidised food and beer menu so no complaints.

On the last day of training i was contacted by my new team manager who told me i would be buddying up with an experienced engineer until further notice, shortly after the engineer then phoned saying he would come and pick me up on moday morning.
(I can say i learned more in a week out on the job than i did during the training course)

after the buddying up i was given a new van and tools, every tool i needed was there and i was told to get as much stock as i could from stores.
so far iv been getting between 4-6 jobs a day, il admit at first it was daunting but you soon find your feet and get into a pattern, latest iv worked is 7pm earliest ive finished is 12:30!
from what ive been told by various "suits" I think the days of piling on work and overloading the engineers are gone, as this just lead to lads quitting and shoddy work.
it seems to be all about quality more than quantitiy, something which BT are very keen on (almost to the point of being ridiculous)
the furthest i have worked from home so far is about 20 miles, which considering its not my diesel isnt a problem, most days im within 10 miles of home.
i get paid by a company called labourforce every 2 weeks and touch wood i havnt had any trouble so far, only downside is they take £12.50 a week for admin. the first few weeks on training wage are quite hard as it barely covers the bills but as soon as you feel confident enough i would ask to go on price work, which at the moment is £25 per job, thats £25 regardless if its a 3hour full install or a 10min faceplate change. so its swings and roundabouts,
only sh*t rule is if your "E-side" is faulty, they take £15 from your job to pay the guy who goes to fix it, even though its not your fault, so you could spent ages doing your pole and cabling to find your only getting £10 when you go to your cab to connect.
However i think kellys are slowly acknowledging this and quite a few guys from my team can now go and do there own E-sides

So overall i would say im glad that i took the job, it was either kellys or dole que??
for anyone who has done a similar role like sky or sparky they should pick the job up after a few weeks, however it does involve hard work and alot of common sense and innitiative, your TM will help you as much as he can but alot of it is trial and error until you figure it out yourself.
One thing that stuck in my mind was when TM told us kellys dont force us to work there.
if we dont like it we can quit, simple as really.
For anyone wanting to drive around in the sun and get home everyday at 2 then i wouldnt recomend kellys,
its physical work climbing and cabling in all weathers and sometimes you feel like slapping the customer and going home BUT you will also get brilliant customers and days when everything goes to plan, your home at 2 with £150 in your pocket!

Hope this helps
Old 14-05-2013, 22:26   #41
Zeepov
Inactive

Zeepov is an unknown quantity at this point

I have worked for Kelly communications,they are the worst **** bags one can ever work for when you leave them they will make you pay for training and a lot other things. By the time the finish with you you will be owing them well over a £1000. Where have you ever seen a job like that. Stay away they are the worst of them. STAY AWAY I wish somebody had put a post like this before I joined I would not have even looked at the twice. WATCH OUT THEY ARE A RIP OFF.
Zeepov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:06   #42
shoot2thrill
Inactive

It does state in the contract that EVERYBODY signs at the beginning of employment that if you leave within the first 12 months kellys will take £500 from you, this is to cover the cost of training.
You get to keep your roadworks ticket and BT cred tho, bargain!!
Old 16-05-2013, 01:20   #43
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point

It appears Kellys have not changed one bit. I took redundancy from BT in 2004. I then went to 'work' at Kellys a few months later collecting stb's for NTL. The job itself was very easy and was quite good in monetry terms for a while. Kellys, however, were an absolute pile of you know what to work for. It took us weeks or months to get cab keys, tools and paperwork. Others actually walked out during training as what they were promised during the induction was never going to materialize. At the time the economy was good and jobs were plentiful. Quite a few who walked had left good jobs after being fed the Kelly bulls**t and believing it.
The van issues were appalling. My first one broke down on my first day. The recovery contract didn't cover the new areas we were working. Kellys had to send their own recovery truck from Dunstable to get me. I then spent 4 hours in Dunstable waiting for another van. 9 hours in total unpaid.
Far too many stories to type on here but from an ex-BT and and ex-openreach contractors point of view I cannot believe Openreach have let Kellys back into BT. They were fine with the new poling erection work as they had a set amount of work per day. Letting them into customers houses though is a different kettle of fish and god forbid if they go into the exchanges!!!
I spoke to an old contact at Hays and even he was shocked by the level of hatred towards Kellys. Bunch of cowboys!!
I've still got contacts at BT Openreach, former colleagues I worked with either out in the field or in the exchanges. They hate the Kelly's contract with a vengeance. Constantly clearing up because of pricework and under trained 'engineers'.
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 09:32   #44
Wilson12
Inactive

Wilson12 is an unknown quantity at this point

[DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT WORK FOR KELLY COMMUNICATIONS!!!! I started in September 2012 and left after 3 months! No organization, pay awful, deductions for none complete jobs, no support, terrible training. We asked on our course if the posts were true on here obviously they denied it, but don't be deceived kellys are a awful company to work for! I am ex bt and this us a different world, if I didnt know the job I wouldn't last a week they shove new guys out in two days!!!!!

After leaving I received my SMALL wage for long hours and was glad to get out. After a few months kellys were on the phone asking if I would be willing to go back as they need skilled engineers, obviously I was very sceptable of this. My wife had a relocation so after alot of thinking gave kellys another shot after being assured things have changed! HOW WRONG WAS I, started back April 2013 with no van, tools or phone so no motoney for a month, then expected to work with a New engineer and train him and split the money we earn a day which would be between 50 and 75 a day as a new starter so for me 35 a day for 10 hours I THINK NOT. Since moving and working with kellys I have had no phone so have used my personal phone just to get jobs done and my first wage for 45 hours was £90!! I have found out that I am being deducted money for whn I left in November 2012! I was not aware of this, so not only do I get paid pittance they deduct further money of me!!!

I am now still fighting my money as my second pay Rota which is two weeks I worked 100 hours and have got £480 As yet further more stoppages! I am now left financially in turmoil, stress levels at a high and my family has been affected courtesy of kellys. Do not think this is a slag of to kellys!! ALL THIS IS TRUE DO NOT WORK FOR KELLY COMMUNICATION even if your desperate for a job I have learnt the hard way!

---------- Post added at 07:30 ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 ----------

Do not work for kelly mate please!

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_herts View Post
hi all now im looking for a new job iv just seen a advert on a job site for trainee cable engineer now has any1 got any feed back on kelly communications wot are they like as a company etc.

Thanks iain
do not work for kellys mate please!
Wilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:42   #45
Whoflungdung?
Inactive

Whoflungdung? is an unknown quantity at this point

My ex partner started work for this company a few years ago. He did all the training and came home with his new van and all the tools and clothes were provided to do the job. Yes they were a bit slow with a phone and he had to use his personal phone for just over a week but he had unlimited internet use, where as before he did not use it, so no harm done. He was on basic pay for his training. But at that time we had just come off the dole queue and the money was welcomed even if it was training money. As he is already qualified in this field, he found everything easy and could not wait to start earning more money. In his first year he walked away with just under £30,000. He was sent away for a week here and a week there, but as Bradge stated in an earlier post they are starting to get their act together. (reading from previous posts). The hotels are ok and its a place to sleep and its clean, food is paid for up to a certain amount and subsidised in most places you stay in that this company have an ongoing contract with. So all in all if your willing to do the job and be away from home on occasions and want to reap the rewards, then this company is for you. The money is good if your willing to work at it to the point my ex was doing as many as 9 jobs a day, he was asking for more work. The only downfall is the MI side of things. You only get £15 a job yet long term men whom are contracted have £25 per job but actually getting £15 for MI. Yet again, if your willing to work at it you can cram the jobs in and still make your money. You either click at the job or you don't and you lose techs, swings and roundabouts. Personally I was happy for my ex to work away and look after the kids and work myself. I know from experience and living with a man whom works for this company and on the other end to what you guys are saying on here. Yet once again and I can not stress enough, if you are prepared to work at it and your away from home doing the job, as you do not have anything else to do so you may as well work, then go home on the weekends and live it to the full and do it all again on the Monday. I know they have started taking on Agency staff but I can not make comment on that as it did not affect us back then. There are a lot more companies worse to work for out there and it was better than being back on the dole. Yes they have their faults so do other companies and then again so do some of the people they employ? Basically if your a hard worker you will have a job for a long time there. Once everything is in position and you find your feet your laughing and can reap the benefits, if your not one of these people don't even bother applying or working for them.
Whoflungdung? is offline   Reply With Quote