Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 05-05-2012, 16:29   #151
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
What I find even more amusing is people cannot post how to circumvent the block but at the top of the page there's Google ads pointing you in the right direction.
I didn't see it either but maybe the links people were posting cut down on the advert click-through rate?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2012, 16:31   #152
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I didn't see it either but maybe the links people were posting cut down on the advert click-through rate?
LOL! Want a tin-foil hat?

I don't see adverts anyway, adblock ftw.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:44   #153
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:02   #154
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Ironically qasdfdsaq your image is also blocked by ad-block (ads.png)
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:49   #155
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Quote:
What I find even more amusing is people cannot post how to circumvent the block but at the top of the page there's Google ads pointing you in the right direction.
LOL
Personally I think it's silly to not allow discussion on how to get around it
If it were illegal to do so, then yes, I could understand it, but VPN services etc, well, they are legal.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Was wondering why I couldn't see his/her post heh.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:57   #156
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
LMAO.

Fixed.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:58   #157
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

https://www.torproject.org/
mcmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:18   #158
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

https://www.ipredator.se/
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:37   #159
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

I think its incredibly stupid not to allow talk of how to bypass the block if its not illegal, its not exactly going to annoy virgin either as I wasn't under the impression they particularly wanted to block it.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:53   #160
mike7
Inactive

mike7 will become famous soon enoughmike7 will become famous soon enoughmike7 will become famous soon enough

Virgin Media are to be commended for taking this step. The music and movie industry is by no means as bouyant as it once was. Any talk of this move being 'censorship' is nonsense. Pirate Bay and similar sites provide a means whereby people can obtain material without paying for it. Do we have the right to walk into our local supermarket and walk out without paying? Clearly last year some people did and now they are paying heavily through the criminal courts.

There was a time when there were far more record companies than there are now. Money was there to invest in new and upcoming acts, producing albums and promoting them. Now this has become a self promotion game with few surviving long enough to gain a foothold in the marketplace. True there are movie producers who make money, but again we are finding a shrinking marketplace and lack of funding for developing new talents. What income there is goes into backing 'dead certs' hence the run of similar movies, with sequel after sequel until the initial idea is done to death.

You may 'find ways round the ban' but if you do you will simply go on strangling the industry denying artists, producers,directors and all the technicians who all earn a living from the product they produce. How many of those who are desparately trying to beat the ban would want to be working for nothing, or seeing the fruits of their labours stolen by criminals?
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 19:05   #161
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
I think its incredibly stupid not to allow talk of how to bypass the block if its not illegal, its not exactly going to annoy virgin either as I wasn't under the impression they particularly wanted to block it.
They didn't want to.

I'm no fan of the pirate bay or freeloading in general but I don't like the way this is going. The facts are a UK court has ordered UK ISP's to block access to a Swedish website that hosts no copyright infringing material. And now the owners of this site fear legal repercussions if they allow its users to discuss ways to bypass this block.

Visiting The Pirate Bay is not illegal, downloading copyright content is.

The Cable Forum ToS forbid linking to copyright material but I’ve seen many links to youtube on this site which contain copyright material.

Copyright infringement is bad but censorship is worse.
Old 05-05-2012, 19:14   #162
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Btw I am not trying to justify piracy and understand that cable forum need to protect themselves its just the censorship is a mess and should not be there regardless of weather or not the site provides a way for people to obtain media. Another thing about piracy is there are plenty of the smaller guys in media who have gotten popular through piracy and even ones who have taken to publishing their media onto the likes of the pirate bay, business models could also be looked at for example look at steam and what it has done for pc gamers and the industry as a whole.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 20:21   #163
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7 View Post
How many of those who are desparately trying to beat the ban would want to be working for nothing, or seeing the fruits of their labours stolen by criminals?
You mean like David Prowse the actor who played Darth Vader in one of the highest grossing films ever that according to the accountants has still not made a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7 View Post
What income there is goes into backing 'dead certs' hence the run of similar movies, with sequel after sequel until the initial idea is done to death.
Funny I thought that was due to the fact that just about every story that can be has been copyrighted for the next 120 years, so the producers/writers don't have anything they can expand on without possible law suits. You only have to look at LoveFilm to see how stupid the copyright and licensing is. I can rent The Help on DVD as part of my subscription yet I have to pay £3.49 to watch a poor quality version online.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 20:27   #164
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I dont see the ads anyway because i use adblock plus

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 21:10   #165
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

The CF owners are just playing safe in a new area, surely. I can't blame them for that. Senior CF team members have all but said it's not exactly an ideal situation or something they support. I don't think it's unreasonable of them to ask us to just play it down a bit and not flag CF as somewhere where anyone can find info on how to get round the block, even if it's all out there elsewhere. Anyone wanting to bypass the block knows how to or can Google how to. I don't believe we can honestly feel like we're being censored - that's a bit extreme. Can't we just go along with this while everyone's a bit uncertain?
As for the ads - aren't they just Google keyword generated? Again, I think it's unfair to take the moral high ground and suggest CF is being a hypocrite by allowing them. If the admins think it's unsuitable, give them a chance to block the keywords. It's weekend, I'm sure Paul M has things he'd rather be doing.
I don't like any of this as much as anyone else, but shifting the REAL focus of the situtation onto CF and pretending it's all a massive deal that we can't talk about circumventing the VM block here, is a bit like blaming the car for running out of petrol. Everyone knows it's not the car's fault really, but it's the one thing you can vent your frustration at easily (however misplaced). Not entirely fair IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrosc View Post
Just noticed something that's a little funny, but can any virgin employee's who work on the block look away now :P
my mobile which is a virgin one can access the site perfectly fine
I could be wrong - and I'm sure someone will be at the starting traps waiting to correct me - but I was under the impression VM's mobile network was piggybacked onto another (T-Mobile/Orange?) so if/when they decide to block access on their network then the VM mobile platform will be blocked too I imagine. Interesting though. I wouldn't have thought it an oversight, more likely something beyond their immediate control.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote