Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

Old 03-05-2011, 03:50   #61
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
re: PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

storing encrypted is standard practice now days for anything billing related so is poor from sony in that regard.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 10:03   #62
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13256817

Quote:
Sony has warned that almost 25 million extra gaming users may have had their personal details taken in a hacker attack.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:28   #63
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

I use my work email addy for one of my PSN accounts and since receiving the email from Sony regarding the PSN breach, I've had dozens of spam emails from eastern european ladies looking for relationships and seeking contact via Skype.

Obviously I deleted them all and added the sender to the blocked list but a coincidence I think not.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36   #64
Fitze73
Inactive

Services: 2 X Sky+HD 1x LG blu ray home cinema, PS3, XBox360,W
Fitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
I've had dozens of spam emails from eastern european ladies looking for relationships and seeking contact via Skype.
at least it wasnt for men eh paul lol
Fitze73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 13:33   #65
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitze73 View Post
at least it wasnt for men eh paul lol
I know,,,,, you would have been dead jealous hay Fitze lol

Couldnt resist
Old 03-05-2011, 14:55   #66
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

As part of my yahoo mail package I have a unique email address for my PSN, and I have received no spam at all on it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 14:00   #67
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
As part of my yahoo mail package I have a unique email address for my PSN, and I have received no spam at all on it.
i too havent received any more spam than usual
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 14:03   #68
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
i too havent received any more spam than usual
May of been a fluke then, just me being suspicious.

Fingers crossed it's all back up and running this evening, I'm missing GT5
Old 04-05-2011, 14:14   #69
Tod
Inactive

Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

I just want to get my PSN+ stuff, it's the turn of the month now!

Although I hope it is not dumbed down as it is free to all this month!
Old 04-05-2011, 15:19   #70
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I just want to get my PSN+ stuff, it's the turn of the month now!

Although I hope it is not dumbed down as it is free to all this month!
One suspect's their servers may be running a tad warm this hevening ,

I wonder if sony have taken advantage of this to upgrade their servers capacity because they normally grind to a halt when map pack's get released.
Old 04-05-2011, 21:40   #71
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

"Sony’s Response to the U.S. House of Representatives"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
Today, the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce held a hearing in Washington, DC on “The Threat of Data Theft to American Consumers.”

Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sony Computer Entertainment America, submitted written answers to questions posed by the subcommittee about the large-scale, criminal cyber-attack we have experienced. We wanted to share those answers with you (click here).

In summary, we told the subcommittee that in dealing with this cyber attack we followed four key principles:

1. Act with care and caution.
2. Provide relevant information to the public when it has been verified.
3. Take responsibility for our obligations to our customers.
4. Work with law enforcement authorities.

We also informed the subcommittee of the following:

* Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.

* We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”

* By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.

* As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.

* Protecting individuals’ personal data is the highestpriority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cybercrime and cyber terrorism.

* We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.

(snip)
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:04   #72
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
* We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.
so basically they have sacked the guy in charge of security, set up new servers, and added encryption

---------- Post added 05-05-2011 at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was 04-05-2011 at 23:34 ----------

does anyone know when PSN will be back online?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:06   #73
pabscars
Inactive

Going off word of mouth from a mate, he was expecting the PSN network to be back up and running at 1am this morning, but because Sony had found that another 20 million users details had been stolen it may be delayed further, how true this is I cant say.

Just to add

I had a phone call from a guy claiming to be from Northern Rock last night saying they wish to discuss something with me but before they could proceed they need to ask some security questions, so I said unless your willing to disclose what its about you aint getting jack out of me.

This went back and too a few times so I said to the guy listen, given the fact that PSN has just been hacked, I'm not comfortable handing over personal info over the phone, the chap was very understanding, gave me his name and number and asked me to ring back in the morning.

It's probably genuine as I have dealing's with NR but I'm not taking any chances.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03   #74
Tod
Inactive

Sony have been very quiet again, looks like this week is off then!

Also I am confused at how people are still posting on the official PS forums when you can't log into PSN? Hows that work then?
Old 05-05-2011, 13:31   #75
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Probably seperate MYSQL database for the forums.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote