Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Breaking your contract with VM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Breaking your contract with VM.

Old 15-09-2016, 18:22   #46
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Breaking your contract with VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Well, if you're happy with the current box, you might as well stick with it.

It says something when even VM staff (if you still receive this) with the discounts that they receive are finding it too expensive!!!
There are many reasons as to why i am thinking of downgrading my TV to SKY and one of them is that i spend a fair bit of time in my caravan during the year. Having Sky means i can take the settop with me in the caravan and use my sat dish for reception. I would keep the broadband as there is no one that can provide the level of service i expect from my broadband except VM.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2016, 18:46   #47
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Basically, the problem that people have (who are in contract) is that there is only a limited time window in which to cancel without penalty.

If they don't cancel and then find that the new TiVo is poorly performing too or is too expensive, they remain locked in a contract with a slow TiVo.

The latest details that VM CS staff are giving out is that the new box will be out in November, which is after the window to cancel has expired. Very convenient for VM...
You seem to be confused about the reason for the ability to cancel penalty free - it's purely to do with the price rise. It has nothing to do with the launch of V6 or the performance of your current TiVo.

If you are happy to pay the increased price - which I assume you are as you don't mention otherwise in your posts - then your minimum term will continue as agreed and in terms of your ability to cancel/ the V6 launch or whatever your beef is, you won't be any further disadvantaged than if prices weren't increasing.

Virgin are actually being generous by allowing all their customer to leave penalty free - Sky have it written into their contracts that they can increase prices by up to 10% per year without offering customers the ability to cancel penalty free.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:00   #48
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
There is life outside this forum you know...

Basically, the problem that people have (who are in contract) is that there is only a limited time window in which to cancel without penalty.

If they don't cancel and then find that the new TiVo is poorly performing too or is too expensive, they remain locked in a contract with a slow TiVo.

An additional problem for me is that I am loathe to do business with Sky and my satellite wiring needs to be replaced.

I like and want to keep TiVo, but I want one that works properly!

The latest details that VM CS staff are giving out is that the new box will be out in November, which is after the window to cancel has expired. Very convenient for VM...
I thought this thread was about your desire to cheat VM not other peoples satisfaction or lack thereof with price rises or Tivo performance
Old 15-09-2016, 19:13   #49
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

I'm not sure why this needs so much discussion

If you are not happy with the current TIVO speed, Virgin have given you a get out of jail card by using the price rise as a way out

If you are not happy with the price rise, Virgin have given you the option to leave and get out of your contract

If you are unhappy with the current TIVO speed and are hoping that the new box will resolve all the speed issues, then you should use the price rise as a way out why take the risk and get stuck with another slow box. You are allowed to come back

Breaking contract and being happy to pay the remainder of your contract while getting no service is just foolish while Virgin give you the option of leaving because of the price rise

Good luck with trying to prove to trading standards that the TIVO box which records and plays TV is not fit for purpose

Most people who are downgrading or leaving on here are due to the price rises and the good deals they can get from Sky, not because the TIVO is a little slow at times
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:21   #50
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Please, can we stop this now.��
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:27   #51
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
I'm not sure why this needs so much discussion

If you are not happy with the current TIVO speed, Virgin have given you a get out of jail card by using the price rise as a way out

If you are not happy with the price rise, Virgin have given you the option to leave and get out of your contract

If you are unhappy with the current TIVO speed and are hoping that the new box will resolve all the speed issues, then you should use the price rise as a way out why take the risk and get stuck with another slow box. You are allowed to come back

Breaking contract and being happy to pay the remainder of your contract while getting no service is just foolish while Virgin give you the option of leaving because of the price rise

Good luck with trying to prove to trading standards that the TIVO box which records and plays TV is not fit for purpose

Most people who are downgrading or leaving on here are due to the price rises and the good deals they can get from Sky, not because the TIVO is a little slow at times
This has all been pointed out to him but richard being richard thinks he has the right to cancel his contract because of his slow tivo and cheat vm by "forbidding" bailiffs from his land and denying VM money that is rightfully theirs
Old 15-09-2016, 19:36   #52
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Please, can we stop this now.��
Indeed the thread has gone way of topic. Time for me to unsubscribe from this thread i think

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
This has all been pointed out to him but richard being richard thinks he has the right to cancel his contract because of his slow tivo and cheat vm by "forbidding" bailiffs from his land and denying VM money that is rightfully theirs
If only it was so easy

Anyway i am out of this self gratification thread and on to more important things like who will win between Wakefield and Hull FC tonight in the super league

Old 15-09-2016, 19:41   #53
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Indeed the thread has gone way of topic. Time for me to unsubscribe from this thread i think

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

If only it was so easy

Anyway i am out of this self gratification thread and on to more important things like who will win between Wakefield and Hull FC tonight in the super league
ooh that's a tuffy
Old 15-09-2016, 19:51   #54
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Wakefield - Hopefully. Living quite close to the ground it gives us something to listen to during the annoying silences while the TiVo is trying to open a menu or start playback

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:59   #55
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Wakefield - Hopefully. Living quite close to the ground it gives us something to listen to during the annoying silences while the TiVo is trying to open a menu or start playback

Cheers

Grim
and that's how to talk about football but stay on topic ....outstanding
Old 15-09-2016, 22:17   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
There are many reasons as to why i am thinking of downgrading my TV to SKY and one of them is that i spend a fair bit of time in my caravan during the year. Having Sky means i can take the settop with me in the caravan and use my sat dish for reception. I would keep the broadband as there is no one that can provide the level of service i expect from my broadband except VM.
Never thought of doing that, what a good idea

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
You seem to be confused about the reason for the ability to cancel penalty free - it's purely to do with the price rise. It has nothing to do with the launch of V6 or the performance of your current TiVo.

If you are happy to pay the increased price - which I assume you are as you don't mention otherwise in your posts - then your minimum term will continue as agreed and in terms of your ability to cancel/ the V6 launch or whatever your beef is, you won't be any further disadvantaged than if prices weren't increasing.

Virgin are actually being generous by allowing all their customer to leave penalty free - Sky have it written into their contracts that they can increase prices by up to 10% per year without offering customers the ability to cancel penalty free.
Yes, I know. The two issues are relevant to my decision though as I have to either accept the price rise and not jump ship whilst I can and hope that the new TiVo works to an acceptable standard at a decent price or cancel during the permitted time.

If I don't cancel when I can and find that the new TiVo is not suitable (before or after installation), my only option is to break the contract.

I started this thread to try and ascertain what VM will try to do to recover the money.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Quote:
I care as much about VM as they care about their customers these days since the company was bought by Liberty Global.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
the cancelation team are awful. i thought theyd be the people to chat to but its the CEO office who are the best. cancelation team kept going "do you want slower internet?"

and i kept saying well sky have got sky atlantic etc and i kept just being insulted over choosing sky over virgin media. ie i got nowt...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
As above this mirrors my experience. Looks like nothing has changed.

The experience with Virgin Media and SKY has been night and day. Everytime I've called SKY to cancel a service they've done everything they can to keep me. Reduced prices, free this, free that etc... Interestingly SKY have always told me on the phone I'm a valued customer and what can they do to keep me as a subscriber. No real negative chat about rival providers just a real feeling they don't want me to go. I've always recontracted on the terms I want. My deal has either matched or bettered the one i was on the year before. I pay less now for my SKY package than I did in 2013. Might not be a sold business model long term from SKY but hey I don't give a rats. Rather they're losing money than me. All I know is I'm getting the best deal possible that can't be bettered elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
I have had a couple of discounts in the past and feel i am quite good as knowing the right things to say to trigger these discounts. Not this time looks like VM would rather get new customers at the expense of keeping the ones they have. Stupid idea in my book
Looks like the new owners of VM have a "like it or lump it" attitude towards their customers.

I have made no secret of my dislike of Sky, but Chads post has cast new light on an obviously changed situation.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 04:34   #57
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
and that's how to talk about football but stay on topic ....outstanding
Its Rugby

Old 16-09-2016, 06:38   #58
martyh

Quote:
Its Rugby
you can tell my sporting knowledge is awsome
Old 17-09-2016, 17:03   #59
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I mentioned this to a friend who goes caravanning, he told me that he does this already.

Apparently, it's only the premium Sky channels that are tied to your box.

If you only have or want to watch the Sky basic channels, you could take a spare box to the caravan (or buy a second hand one cheaply).

It'll then be easier to slip the card in your wallet instead of lugging the whole box around
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 22:43   #60
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

RC, you seriously thinking of leaving VM. Don't worry abut the Baailiffs. My son used to be one.
Bailiffs will only come to your door IF. VM took out a Court Order. And for that to happen, VM would send you loads of unwanted letters demaning money.

And if you got demanding letters from Debt Recovery Companies - which are a pain in the backsides. Siply tell them that you will sue them for Harrasent, asd they are not allowed to do that.

I have dealt with plenty of them.

Just cll VM, and say you are NOT happen. and they will simply cancel your contract.

As IF you owe them any money. IF, you have a written contract - which l would doubt very much. As we never had one.

They have broken there side, by failing to provide yoou with a good service. And that is in breach of the contract.

I have dealt with contracts before - l always read the small print.

IF, VM give you any further grief. Contact a Scottish newspaper,( I think its called RAW DEAL in the paper) as they have a legal eagle. And we used them before. And they were brilliant.

Trust that works. I certainly wouldn't worry.

Baillifs work in the early hours of the morning. My son started at 4am knocking on doors.

And you do not have to let them in.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote