Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

Old 12-08-2016, 11:23   #31
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Multiroom Streaming Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
No, it's just part of the process of identifying the cause. If we can prove it is caused by IR interference, we can then work on eliminating the source of that interference (often it's an energy-saving bulb in the room, or the TV screen itself)
OK. I'll try it over the weekend. Thanks for your help with this, it's appreciated.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2016, 08:12   #32
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Try covering the IR receiver at the receiving end too
After a trouble-free week of multi-room streaming the 'Network too slow' problem returned over the weekend - or Saturday evening, to be precise. The IR receptor is covered on the sending TiVo and I tried also covering the corresponding IR receptor on the receiving TiVo. I was about 30 minutes into a film when I got my first 'Network too slow' blip. I started again, fast-forwarded to the point where it had stopped and within 5 minutes the same thing happened again. I uncovered the IR receptor on the receiving TiVo and was able to watch the remainder of the film without problems. I tried the same thing on Sunday evening (receiving IR receptor uncovered) and there were no blips.

So, to sum up, weekday evenings no blips, Saturday evening multiple blips.

I am considering replacing my Cat 5e TiVo to TiVo directly connected cable with a Cat 6 cable to see if this helps. Any thoughts?
Old 15-08-2016, 09:42   #33
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Cat 5e ought to be plenty good enough, but I suppose there's a slight chance it is faulty. But I'm starting to think it's more likely to be a fault with one of your TiVos. Not going to be easy to work out which, though.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 10:14   #34
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Cat 5e ought to be plenty good enough, but I suppose there's a slight chance it is faulty. But I'm starting to think it's more likely to be a fault with one of your TiVos. Not going to be easy to work out which, though.
Thanks again. I have tried two different cat 5e cables without improvement. I've just ordered a cat 6 and will try that.

I have two 1TB Cisco TiVos. I have not had the software update yet - I live in London (21). I don't know if the update includes networking improvements. If the new cable does not improve things it might very well be a faulty TiVo. I suspect the older of the two (the sending TiVo in the majority of problems) which is noticeably more sluggish that the newer one although it does have more recordings.
Old 18-08-2016, 07:50   #35
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Not good news. I swapped my cat 5e cable for cat 6 and was interrupted twice within a two-hour period of multi-room streaming by the now familiar 'Network too slow (v69)' message forcing me to start again and fast-forward to the point where I was interrupted each time.

So, it seems it's not a cable problem, not a weekend-only problem, unlikely to be an IR problem, which leaves...???

This is driving me crazy. Where do I go from here?
Old 18-08-2016, 12:45   #36
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I'm out of ideas. You'll have to ring the VM Faults team to progress it, though be aware they will probably want to replace the boxes so you'll lose your recordings.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 13:49   #37
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

That's it replace the boxes so you have nothing to stream anyway.
Problem solved
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 13:57   #38
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Problem solved
It looks like a classic Catch-22 problem.
Old 18-08-2016, 14:04   #39
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Same problems for us. Not sure which make but using a 500GB and a 1TB box.

The 1TB is the sending unit using the VM supplied Netgear powerline adaptors, via a Linksys 8500 router and cat6 cable to the 500GB

Doesn't seem to happen as often as it does for Heavyside but definitely 2 or 3 times per week. What we do seem to get more often is 20/30 seconds of spinning circle (buffering?) at the start of the playback but not all the time?? I would say >90% of use is HD.

I've not seen the link on the powerline drop below 250Mb (normally much higher) and speed tests always exceed 100Mb so plenty of bandwidth.

As the 500GB box is in the loft it's not easy to swap them around but what I will do is try them on their own dedicated router to see if that has any impact.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 15:39   #40
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Problem solved
You heard it here first!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 17:15   #41
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Problem solved
That's what you get when you think out-of-the-box. I'll see myself out.
Old 18-08-2016, 17:30   #42
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the only thing you havent done is to put a router in and run the Superhub in modem mode. I have the upstairs tivo connected to the router and the downstairs connected to the router via 5G wifi. If if does fail I have found that it only goes back a few minutes when I restart the stream.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

I should say there are only two people living in the house so there is not a lot of activity happening on the network most of the time.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:03   #43
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I think that the only thing you havent done is to put a router in and run the Superhub in modem mode. I have the upstairs tivo connected to the router and the downstairs connected to the router via 5G wifi. If if does fail I have found that it only goes back a few minutes when I restart the stream.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

I should say there are only two people living in the house so there is not a lot of activity happening on the network most of the time.
My 'Network too slow' problem was happening even with a direct cat 6 TiVo to TiVo connection with no router in between. The problem is there with a router and without a router, with homeplugs and with three different cables, with the IR ports covered and uncovered. Having eliminated everything else the fault must lie with one (or both) of my TiVos.
Old 19-08-2016, 08:21   #44
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
My 'Network too slow' problem was happening even with a direct cat 6 TiVo to TiVo connection with no router in between. The problem is there with a router and without a router, with homeplugs and with three different cables, with the IR ports covered and uncovered. Having eliminated everything else the fault must lie with one (or both) of my TiVos.
Think I'm inclined to agree, issue last night while using a router just for the TiVos. I don't know if its a hardware or software fault though. Wouldn't be so bad if it remembered where playback had got to so you could just restart with no messing about.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 11:12   #45
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the problem lies in the way they do error recovery and because its a TCP/IP connection it tries to retransmit the non received packet whereas with normal video you see all the warts displayed on the screen.

I havent seen the failure recently but when it did I dont recall having to fast forward from the beginning. It seemed to get within a few minutes of the right place.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote