Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 25-09-2016, 17:41   #541
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Given that you know that if you have all 3 tuners active at a given time, OD won't be available to watch at that time. Therefore, simply choose another time to watch the OD show.

Don't limit the availability of three recordable tuners, when the solution to your problem is a simple one.
Well, given that I don't start viewing until about 8.30 pm and the three tuners are normally in use between 9 and 11 pm, this doesn't work for me. The three tuners are used because they are recording programmes I want to see and so limiting my recordings is not really what I want to do.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:
Reducing your recordable tuners to two would make your problems worse. OD can be watched any time; scheduled shows have limited recording opportunities.

Your plan would cause more problems than you want it to solve.

Have you thought of looking at your planned recordings list before starting to watch an OD show?
I was talking about the new TiVo. I appreciate that two tuners would be worse than what we have now, but if we had 6, with one of them reserved for on demand, that would work for me.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2016, 18:05   #542
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, given that I don't start viewing until about 8.30 pm and the three tuners are normally in use between 9 and 11 pm, this doesn't work for me. The three tuners are used because they are recording programmes I want to see and so limiting my recordings is not really what I want to do.

You can check planned recordings at any time, even the day before when you start your TV viewing, or online. You seem to want to reduce the amount of recordable tuners, when there is no need to do so; a two minute check of planned recordings will solve your problem.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 18:35   #543
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You can check planned recordings at any time, even the day before when you start your TV viewing, or online. You seem to want to reduce the amount of recordable tuners, when there is no need to do so; a two minute check of planned recordings will solve your problem.
This is no good for me as I would not be able to record everything that I wanted to watch. I am arguing for the new Tivo to have a dedicated tuner as this will be an encouragement to viewers to access on demand. I do acknowledge that with 6 tuners available, this problem is unlikely to arise very often.
Old 25-09-2016, 20:27   #544
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This is no good for me as I would not be able to record everything that I wanted to watch. .

With one less recordable tuner (the one dedicated to OD) you'd have even less chance! Your point makes no sense to me. The answer seems simple to me; you watch OD content when you have a tuner free, which is easy to check by looking at the planned recordings list
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 22:24   #545
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

If this is like skyq I wonder if this can be seen as impolite wifi behaviour by both companies, houses having multiple wifi transmitters possible also all transmitting on different channels could be seen as been greedy on the spectrum. I think the skyq is bad for that reason.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 00:00   #546
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I haven't checked but they may all use the same channel when boosting the signal.
Old 26-09-2016, 17:33   #547
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Given the slow performance issues with the existing Tivo box, I think it would help Virgin Media's reputation if they did the same as Sky as reported in this article.

It would be good if they could also do a deal for existing customers currently experiencing problems with their Tivos.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/09/s...y-default.html

Sky Q by default

Sky is planning to make its recently launched SkyQ box the default receiver for new subscribers, with the older Sky+ service only made available in a reduced number of circumstances.

It comes as no surprise that Sky is moving new subscribers towards SkyQ, as it has made no secret that it wants to move away from its base of older Sky boxes, including those boxes that can only receive standard definition services.

Under the plans, all new Sky subscribers will be offered a 1TB SkyQ box as standard, with an option to use the older Sky+ only available under limited circumstances, such as when a subscriber has to use a communal satellite dish that hasn't got a SkyQ LNB, otherwise it won't be possible for new subscribers to choose a non-SkyQ box.

The default SkyQ box offered to customers will lack full functionality, unless an additional fee of £12 a month is paid, which would enable multiscreen streaming and access to Sky UHD. An upgrade to a 2TB Sky Q box will also be available.

For existing subscribers, nothing changes, although a voluntary option to upgrade to SkyQ is available. New subscribers to Sky are still being offered t
he choice of either Sky+ or SkyQ; an exact date for the switch to SkyQ hasn't been publicised.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 26-09-2016 at 17:36.
Old 27-09-2016, 15:08   #548
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

That would be an excellent idea for VM to adopt.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 15:27   #549
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not quite sure why it warranted a whole news item about it for Sky Q.

It's pretty much a given that any new kit will come the default after period of time. For Virgin Media it's the same as the existing TiVo becoming the default TV option, and the Hub 3.0 now being the default kit for broadband.
Old 27-09-2016, 17:08   #550
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm not quite sure why it warranted a whole news item about it for Sky Q.

It's pretty much a given that any new kit will come the default after period of time. For Virgin Media it's the same as the existing TiVo becoming the default TV option, and the Hub 3.0 now being the default kit for broadband.
I think it is such a radical improvement and this has happened so quickly after launch.

Will VM do the same, do you think?
Old 28-09-2016, 17:39   #551
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

As software capability has improved in general, I wonder if the way that TiVo works could be modernised in some way?

I don't see why these days there can't be a feature where we tell it what we want it to record and it automatically calculates the best thing to do, be it move other recordings which have a repeat showing to record one off programmes or move the recording itself.

I don't mean just detecting the repeat showings as it does now and listing them in Planned Recordings, but a complete calculation as to how best to achieve the best outcome for every recording planned that mirrors the users wishes.

Each time there is a change, eg a show is taken off the EPG or a viewer chooses another programme or series to record, it could recalculate everything.

At the end (or during calculation) it may have to ask the user to make their mind up about what to record if it cannot resolve occasional issues eg four one off programmes all being shown at the same time.

I now have so many Series Links that I find it impossible to prioritise them, so being able to make a decision when anomalies are thrown up would be very useful.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 18:35   #552
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As software capability has improved in general, I wonder if the way that TiVo works could be modernised in some way?

I don't see why these days there can't be a feature where we tell it what we want it to record and it automatically calculates the best thing to do, be it move other recordings which have a repeat showing to record one off programmes or move the recording itself.

I don't mean just detecting the repeat showings as it does now and listing them in Planned Recordings, but a complete calculation as to how best to achieve the best outcome for every recording planned that mirrors the users wishes.

Each time there is a change, eg a show is taken off the EPG or a viewer chooses another programme or series to record, it could recalculate everything.

At the end (or during calculation) it may have to ask the user to make their mind up about what to record if it cannot resolve occasional issues eg four one off programmes all being shown at the same time.

I now have so many Series Links that I find it impossible to prioritise them, so being able to make a decision when anomalies are thrown up would be very useful.
Exactly how slow would you like the Tivo to be, Richard?

Maybe if it could pour you a nice cup of coffee and start the dinner while you're waiting for the circle to start spinning?
Old 28-09-2016, 22:50   #553
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I just find the whole concept of recording out of date, everything should be on demand
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:50   #554
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I just find the whole concept of recording out of date, everything should be on demand
Not sure that is ever going to happen anytime soon.
Old 29-09-2016, 07:26   #555
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

If you want you can, pretty much, live this way already. It means watching stuff within 7 days of airing (catch up) or buying the right to watch whenever from iTunes/Amazon etc. If you are happy with that, great. But, if you want to be able to watch things that are broadcast at times of your choosing for no payment, recording will continue to be the only legal option.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote