Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Major TiVo Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Major TiVo Update

Old 10-06-2016, 11:45   #61
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Major TiVo update started about 3:20am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
Yes but in this day of content being King, I would of thought it was in both companies interest to keep a service going?

Is this new software a version of the US software? I wonder if they have lost Spotify too?
Depends how many were using it. Spotify have limited resources. If only a few thousand people are using the Tivo app, it's not in their interest to have a team around to update it, as the amount they make probably wouldn't cover the salaries of the team.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2016, 11:49   #62
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

The prices go up, and the services come down. Classic
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:50   #63
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
Yes but in this day of content being King, I would of thought it was in both companies interest to keep a service going?

Is this new software a version of the US software? I wonder if they have lost Spotify too?
Content may be King but if there is only a small percentage of Spotify customers using the TiVo app then spending money on creating a new version of the app is probably not worth doing. Besides there are so many other places to access Spotify anyway.

I found the TiVo app to be pretty dreadful anyway. I prefer to use it on my Mac and mobile and stream it through my AV amp.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:57   #64
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
The update has arrived in Darlington 20 minutes into the update at the moment
You are not the first person to comment on the updates coming out in the middle of the day.
Why on earth are they happening at this time?
Ok it does not affect me right now as I am at work but if I wasn't I would have been sitting back watching the Test Match and then all of a sudden your box starts updating????
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 13:20   #65
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
You are not the first person to comment on the updates coming out in the middle of the day.
Why on earth are they happening at this time?
Ok it does not affect me right now as I am at work but if I wasn't I would have been sitting back watching the Test Match and then all of a sudden your box starts updating????
Updates don't happen during the day if the box is contactable overnight. Teesside updates were done between 2am and 6am on Tuesday and Thursday. Did you have your box turned off, Gavin?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 13:20   #66
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Updates from what l hear should usually happen in the early hours of the morning as that's the best time to do it.
Old 10-06-2016, 14:08   #67
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The silver lining of Spotify being removed may be that the STB runs a little faster as the app won't need the support that is currently slowing the boxes down.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 15:00   #68
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That's not how apps on TiVo work.
Old 10-06-2016, 15:23   #69
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's not how apps on TiVo work.
I was going on what SP said.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 21:00   #70
plaiter
Inactive

plaiter is on a distinguished roadplaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The silver lining of Spotify being removed may be that the STB runs a little faster as the app won't need the support that is currently slowing the boxes down.
Would it not be possible to postpone the full rollout until Spotify was certified on the new firmware?

Not supporting Spotify does seem like a major step backwards.
I would sooner have Spotify than the minor enhancements.

What do other people think?

Or are we saying that Spotify is not going to be available going forward on VM.

My Spotify subscription is through VM. But I will be unable to use Spotify on a VM platform that seems wrong to me.
plaiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 22:22   #71
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Perhaps VM took the decision not to support Spotify on the new tivo software as Vevo seems to be more popular these days??
Old 10-06-2016, 22:43   #72
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

I use Spotify daily, my main Tivo is connected to my amp so I can listen to the music nice and loud, not on a laptop or mobile.

I have had Spotify since it launched on Tivo, so 5 years is a long time to use a service for it to be discontinued without any warning. Totally wrong in my opinion.

The updates for Tivo always take alot of time to write as we all know. I'm aware that the software is a UK version of the US version, so has Spotify been removed from US Tivo? I can't seem to find anything about that.

I just can't believe Spotify or Virgin would let this happen, regardless of how many people use the app. there was plenty of time to sort something out. Spotify don't seem to have a problem creating apps for other services.

So much was made of Spotify launching on Tivo too. I does seem like a major step backwards. Prices go up and services keep getting removed, Music OnDemand, VM Cloud app, things I used as a customer.

I know a company can't please everyone, but they have now lost my custom as a TV customer after 18 years. I'm another 'number' to add to the list of people ditching the TV side of VirginMedia.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Perhaps VM took the decision not to support Spotify on the new tivo software as Vevo seems to be more popular these days??
Vevo is an awful app, terrible replacement for Music OnDemand
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:03   #73
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally l detest Vevo as its full of newer music and nothing from my day.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:20   #74
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Does anyone know if the latest update fixed the optical output problem created by an update a year ago?

I've been waiting for a fix and really hope this update is the answer

Thanks
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:35   #75
denphone
Still alive and fighting

The knowledgeable SP or Ben would know the answer to that Joe.