Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Major TiVo Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Major TiVo Update

Old 16-05-2016, 10:13   #31
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Major TiVo update started about 3:20am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not automatically. That's what the Thumbs on the remote are for.
Yes, and in general the system works well. However, when you have a 3 year old and a baby who loves the Tivo remote (especially the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons which are brightly coloured), the results you get are interesting to say the least.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2016, 13:11   #32
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm going to start rebooting it whenever I get a chance, but there's usually something recording.
24 hours a day?

A reboot takes less than 5 minutes.
Old 16-05-2016, 13:42   #33
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
24 hours a day?

A reboot takes less than 5 minutes.
Most of the time when I'm up/in, yes.

I'm going to start rebooting it when there is nothing being recorded.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 17:38   #34
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

- Not all HD recordings are in the HD folder. I've watched all my HD recordings to free up space, but found more in the general list of recordings!

- Some entries in 'Recording Hiccups' say that they have failed and give the reason 'Limit Reached'. Does this mean that it is saying that it has run out of disc space?
I wonder if it's because SD shows from the 1970's that are shown on HD channels (eg ITV3 HD) don't go into the HD folder as they're not actually HD?

I have found what I think could be a bug.

If a programme changes it's start time, AFAIK the TiVo sets up another recording slot and doesn't delete the old one.

In circumstances such as this, or when a programme is taken off the EPG completely, the programme comes up in 'Recording Hiccups' as 'Limit Reached'.

I would have thought that in the first scenario, it should be reported as a clash and in the second 'Not Available'

I have today noticed another setting called 'Bookmark'. I'll have a play around and see how this works and let people know when I've had chance to find out.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-05-2016 at 17:55.
Old 17-05-2016, 01:09   #35
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I think, from previous posts, this is so you can 'bookmark' stuff from On Demand to watch later. Give that a try first

From what I can gather, it's to bookmark an On Demand programme before it becomes available.

As soon as it does become available, up it pops in the 'My Shows' folder.

Any that you have bookmarked that don't appear on VOD go into a separate folder for unavailable bookmarks.

I've been told that you can also 'bookmark' programming from On Demand to watch later, but i've not tried this out yet.
Old 17-05-2016, 13:52   #36
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Yes you can bookmark On Demand stuff and so it is there in your My Shows easily rather than trawling the menus potentially.
It's the only thing I have seen that improves anything for me.

The Series Link + just gets a bit confusing for me but then again I start with series from the start and record them. I may well store 10 or more episodes to watch when I am ready but extremely rare I get them from On Demand as it's just too flakey for my liking with them disappearing with seemingly no or little notice.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 21:51   #37
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not automatically. That's what the Thumbs on the remote are for.

It shouldn't matter. For instance, if the Series Link has recorded an episode from the 'main' channel, it'll ignore the +1 repeat as already recorded. Or if you've set the Series Link to ignore the particular season of the Series being recorded on the main channel, it'll also ignore the +1 channel.

Do you mean in a Wishlist? If so, add 'Highlights' to the wishlist keywords seperately to 'Horror', and then when it's shown in the 'saved Keywords' section, select it and press Thumbs Down once to exclude it (as per the on screen wording)
Nothing happened when I tried to use 'thumbs down' on the created Wishlist for 'Highlights', so I deleted it and entered '-highlights'.

Do you know if this will work , or does it specifically need the 'Thumbs Down' command to be used?

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Yes you can bookmark On Demand stuff and so it is there in your My Shows easily rather than trawling the menus potentially.
Thanks
Old 17-05-2016, 22:34   #38
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Nothing happened when I tried to use 'thumbs down' on the created Wishlist for 'Highlights', so I deleted it and entered '-highlights'.

Do you know if this will work , or does it specifically need the 'Thumbs Down' command to be used?
Sorry, I meant within the Wishlist itself i.e when you're entering the keywords to set it up you have two options. 'Finished entering keywords' or 'Save this keyword and add another'.

So first you enter 'Horror' and then select 'Save this keyword and add another' then enter 'Highlights' and then do the same option to 'save this keyword and add another' again.

You should then have the screen showing 'Horror and 'Highlights' under 'Saved keywords' You then need to use the arrow keys on the remote to select 'Highlights' and you can then use Thumbs down. You'll know you're in the right place as the text on the right will explain about using Thumbs down once to exclude the keyword.

You can use the 'exclude' option in Keywords, Title Keywords, Actor and Director.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-05-2016 at 22:40.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:17   #39
Sugnid
Inactive

Services: Big Kahuna Package
Sugnid is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way of manually forcing this update at all?
Sugnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:36   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No there isn't
Old 06-06-2016, 16:23   #41
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The 'Your Virgin TV Just Got Better' box has again appeared in the Discovery Bar, so i'm assuming that there has been a further rollout to other boxes.

It takes a little time to load, but contains useful information for anybody who switches their box on to find that it's been updated
Old 06-06-2016, 17:02   #42
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Major TiVo update started about 3:20am.

Quote:
The 'Your Virgin TV Just Got Better' box has again appeared in the Discovery Bar, so i'm assuming that there has been a further rollout to other boxes.

It takes a little time to load, but contains useful information for anybody who switches their box on to find that it's been updated
Kind of ironic that the information box takes a while to load
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 17:18   #43
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
Kind of ironic that the information box takes a while to load
Absolutely!

It looks like the update was recently rolled out to the North West.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 06-06-2016 at 19:15.
Old 07-06-2016, 23:05   #44
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Just back from a weekend away in Edinburgh, just noticed the TiVo logo has changed to the new TIVO logo.
I wondered why my boxes were all on when I got home as I had put them on standby.

Im in Teesside
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:35   #45
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Well this is double edged sword...

TiVO one has updated and is working tickety boo.

TiVO 2 is having a proper sulk. I have a green screen with an error that states , and I'm paraphrasing here "your DVR has identified a serious problem and will try to fix this. this might take three hours. Do not switch off your DVR during this process".

Its been at it for ten hours its just seems locked in a re boot / green screen / black screen / re boot loop.

Will call 151 and report back.

M
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote