Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Major TiVo Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Major TiVo Update

Old 11-05-2016, 18:10   #16
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Re: Major TiVo update started about 3:20am.

And a few screengrabs would be nice as well
Old 12-05-2016, 15:27   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

So far what I have noticed to be different:

- Instead of the EPG showing the channel list in text, it's now showing their logos. I dislike this because some of them are hard to see, even on a 40" screen and I have to get up close to the screen to see the name of the channel. Not good for those with a disability.

- When going backwards on the EPG to watch a programme that had been on Channel 5, instead of taking me to the programme, it took me to a page showing every channel logo that has VOD content. I then had to select My5 and search for the relevant programme!

- It is now possible to ask for programmes appearing in VOD to be shown in 'My shows'.

I can see that this may be useful, but most of my Series Links have been reset to show both recordings and VOD content.

This has meant that I have had to go through every single one, some for series that have ended or ones that I have deleted because I have already watched them. This took a very, very long time to correct, but it had to be done as I didn't know which were recordings or a notification of VOD availability.

I think it would have been far better to have let customers change the setting for themselves if they wanted to receive notifications of VOD content being added.

- Instead of setting series links for various channels, you can now set it to 'All'. This is an excellent idea, but not perfect and selecting this option needs to be considered carefully.

For example, I like to record some things from Radio 4. I set this to 'All', as sometimes the programmes are repeated on Radio 4 Extra (I always thought that this was an archive station ) as this can help with clashes.

The trouble is that doing this can cause problems as it wants to record the same programme at the same time on Radio 4 FM and Radio 4 LW!

The same goes for BBC1- it wants to record the same programme on HD, SD, AD, England, Wales, Scotland etc!

I can see it could be useful if you aren't sure which channel programming will be on. Eg I like 'My Cat From Hell' on Animal Planet, but sometimes it is shown on other channels too.

This update has done nothing whatsoever to deal with the slow speed that the TiVo operates- but it was said that this update wouldn't be for that.

I'll update this thread if I find anything else that's different.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Won't replacing text with graphics make it run slower?
A very good point PB, if this is the case, it would surely have been better to delay this part of the update until the slow response to commands was resolved.

It doesn't appear to have made it any slower, but I doubt it could get any slower!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-05-2016 at 15:35.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 15:36   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
- Instead of the EPG showing the channel list in text, it's now showing their logos. I dislike this because some of them are hard to see, even on a 40" screen and I have to get up close to the screen to see the name of the channel. Not good for those with a disability.
There should be an option to go back to the names under the Green button when in the EPG.

Quote:
I can see that this may be useful, but most of my Series Links have been reset to show both recordings and VOD content.

This has meant that I have had to go through every single one, some for series that have ended or ones that I have deleted because I have already watched them. This took a very, very long time to correct, but it had to be done as I didn't know which were recordings or a notification of VOD availability.

I think it would have been far better to have let customers change the setting for themselves if they wanted to receive notifications of VOD content being added.
Existing series links should have remained the same and only be set to recordings. New Series Links are set to be Streaming and Recording, but you can change this in the Series Link+ default options.

There is an option under the blue button when in a My Shows folder to change the view to only show recordings, rather than Recordings and Streaming / VOD.

To help identification recordings, whether planned or Suggestions, will have an 'R' icon next to them (the 'R' icon is slightly different for planned and suggested recordings the same as before). Available episodes from streaming sources don't have an icon next to them.

Quote:
- Instead of setting series links for various channels, you can now set it to 'All'. This is an excellent idea, but not perfect and selecting this option needs to be considered carefully.

For example, I like to record some things from Radio 4. I set this to 'All', as sometimes the programmes are repeated on Radio 4 Extra (I always thought that this was an archive station) as this can help with clashes.

The trouble is that doing this can cause problems as it wants to record the same programme at the same time on Radio 4 FM and Radio 4 LW!

The same goes for BBC1- it wants to record the same programme on HD, SD, AD, England, Wales, Scotland etc!

I can see it could be useful if you aren't sure which channel programming will be on. Eg I like 'My Cat From Hell' on Animal Planet, but sometimes it is shown on other channels too.
It should only record the programme episode once based on the Series Link+ preference even if it's looking across multiple channels - as long as there is appropriate show information. As previously with TiVo, if there is no episode information it possible it will default to record all available showings as it can't tell whether it already has or not.

If you've got the Series Link set to 'New and Reruns' then you will get episodes from each of the channels the programme is on, just as you would have previously got older episodes from the same channel.

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-05-2016 at 15:48.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 18:13   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks Ben.
Old 14-05-2016, 21:14   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Some more observations since the update (although they may not be connected to the update):

- Not all HD recordings are in the HD folder. I've watched all my HD recordings to free up space, but found more in the general list of recordings!

- Very occasionally the TiVo seems to send a few seconds of noise audio, which makes me jump! It's a few seconds of what could be heard when analogue TV used to close down.

- A couple of recordings have only lasted for the first three minutes, resulting in me having to record them again.

- Some entries in 'Recording Hiccups' say that they have failed and give the reason 'Limit Reached'. Does this mean that it is saying that it has run out of disc space?

If so, my recordings average about 60/70% and subsequent recordings after that have recorded normally.

- Some entries have failed due to being 'Not available'. I assumed that this meant that the programme was no longer in the EPG, but it has recorded the programme via another regional variation. I have read of someone else having this problem, is it a known bug/fault?

Cheers.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-05-2016 at 21:22.
Old 14-05-2016, 23:13   #21
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

My TiVo had sped up considerably over the last few days
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 23:25   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Do you know how this was achieved?

Mine is taking up to two minutes to get a programme to play and refusing to cancel a Series Link.

I can't reboot it as it is currently recording three things.

Has anybody successfully got out of their contract under the 'not fit for purpose' provision?
Old 15-05-2016, 00:04   #23
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Has anybody successfully got out of their contract under the 'not fit for purpose' provision?
The purpose of a limited trial roll-out is to iron out remaining bugs before the final release. Why not wait until the final release before making a decision?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:18   #24
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Is there a list of areas with dates for the rollout anywhere as in previous updates?
Old 15-05-2016, 11:18   #25
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

This is a pilot. It hasn't yet started the full roll out
Old 15-05-2016, 12:50   #26
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The purpose of a limited trial roll-out is to iron out remaining bugs before the final release. Why not wait until the final release before making a decision?
I will, I just want to explore my options that's all.

It's the lack of response for ages by the box that's annoying me, it's making watching TV an irritation instead of relaxing.

Is it this bad for everyone else? A few seconds is irritating, but waiting up to one/two minutes between commands is something that I can't carry on doing.
Old 15-05-2016, 14:08   #27
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

My Tivo slows down or gets stuck occasionally, but a reboot normally resolves it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 18:50   #28
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I'm going to start rebooting it whenever I get a chance, but there's usually something recording.

Does TiVo learn any viewing preferences whilst we are watching live TV?

Unless I'm doing it wrong, there no longer seems to be an option to add other channels to the Series Links. It appears to be a choice of 'All' or only one channel

Selecting 'All' includes the +1 channels that I don't want.

What is the process to tell 'Suggestions' to ignore certain keywords?

I've asked it to out look for any horror programmes, but it keeps clogging up my planner with a filler called 'Horror Highlights' on the Horror Channel.

Is it like a search engine where i'd put 'Horror -highlights'?
Old 15-05-2016, 19:04   #29
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Does TiVo learn any viewing preferences whilst we are watching live TV?
Not automatically. That's what the Thumbs on the remote are for.

Quote:
Unless I'm doing it wrong, there no longer seems to be an option to add other channels to the Series Links. It appears to be a choice of 'All' or only one channel

Selecting 'All' includes the +1 channels that I don't want.
It shouldn't matter. For instance, if the Series Link has recorded an episode from the 'main' channel, it'll ignore the +1 repeat as already recorded. Or if you've set the Series Link to ignore the particular season of the Series being recorded on the main channel, it'll also ignore the +1 channel.

Quote:
What is the process to tell 'Suggestions' to ignore certain keywords?

I've asked it to out look for any horror programmes, but it keeps clogging up my planner with a filler called 'Horror Highlights' on the Horror Channel.

Is it like a search engine where i'd put 'Horror -highlights'?
Do you mean in a Wishlist? If so, add 'Highlights' to the wishlist keywords seperately to 'Horror', and then when it's shown in the 'saved Keywords' section, select it and press Thumbs Down once to exclude it (as per the on screen wording)
Old 15-05-2016, 22:43   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not automatically. That's what the Thumbs on the remote are for.

It shouldn't matter. For instance, if the Series Link has recorded an episode from the 'main' channel, it'll ignore the +1 repeat as already recorded. Or if you've set the Series Link to ignore the particular season of the Series being recorded on the main channel, it'll also ignore the +1 channel.

Do you mean in a Wishlist? If so, add 'Highlights' to the wishlist keywords seperately to 'Horror', and then when it's shown in the 'saved Keywords' section, select it and press Thumbs Down once to exclude it (as per the on screen wording)
Yes, in Wishlists. Thanks, that's a great help